Comments

DavidMcKnight wrote on 1/17/2012, 3:31 PM
The visual alert IS there. It's more events moving than what you want...at which time you carefully press Ctrl-Z to undo....

Been there a few times myself. But I still dig the ripple edit tool.
Logan5 wrote on 1/17/2012, 3:44 PM
Sure I'll undo IF I see other clips moving.

But not when they are 10 tracks down or out of view on the time line.

When I work on 28:30 shows, with lots of layers...it can be Jack the ripper to the project and too late for a undo.
BinaryCafe wrote on 1/17/2012, 4:06 PM
Yes, I've been the victim of multiple ripple incidents, myself.
As a result, I make it a habit to use the CTRL+L keyboard shortcut to toggle between ripple on/off and take a quick look at the ripple icon in the toolbar to verify its state before moving things around.

I also tend to save new VEG files (with different filenames) when I get to project milestones, to protect me from myself when I do something silly...like when I forget to do what I just suggested, or heaven forbid...the program should crash. ;)
Logan5 wrote on 1/17/2012, 5:54 PM
Yes, saving project milestones more often is a good idea.

Still, a convenience like ripple...that can be so detrimental to your project should have a better active indicator.
MUTTLEY wrote on 1/17/2012, 6:19 PM
I gotta agree with what Binary said though hearing that you should save more often and under different file names is never fun to hear. I also use ripple edit quite often, so much so that I have it as one of the two extra buttons on my trackball, the other extra button is set to delete. I have ripple set to "All Tracks, Markers and Regions" and generally see right away when it was on when it shouldn't be. That said, just like Binary mentioned, saving under a different file name when you're doing anything major to a project in invaluable. I've been 30 minutes or more into an edit and realized that I had made more changes than I had planed to while, out of habit, been hitting ctrl+s all along the way and stopped myself long enough to save the new version under a different file name, undo ALL of my changes, saved that under the previous file name and then re-open the newer version.

Though I realize this may not be the answer youre looking for and maybe a little light on the auto ripple might be nice I honestly don't think it would stop the occasional over sight. For example, speaking only for myself and admittedly not being the brightest bulb in the pack, I still at times think I'm on the right track in my timeline despite the color change for the active track and it having its own on/off light. =)

- Ray
Underground Planet
farss wrote on 1/17/2012, 6:22 PM
"Still, a convenience like ripple...that can be so detrimental to your project should have a better active indicator. "

You'll not get any argument from anyone here on that I think.
This has been gone over many times in the past decade and I think it was Spot who suggested an ambulance style revolving warning light in the room would be a suitable feature.

For me the way ripple edit works combined with the "Bistromathematics" at the core of Event Grouping and well, yes I have a workflow that works but I feel like I'm trying to pilot a tanker through the Straight of Hormuz or off the coast of Somalia.

I see this issue of far greater import than any feature that has been added to Vegas in the last few years.

Bob.
Duncan H wrote on 1/17/2012, 8:14 PM
I'm with you Bob. I regularly use ripple, but have also suffered the results as outlined earlier of unrealised consequences in multilayered projects, until too late. I'll vote for the red flashing light!
Duncan
PeterWright wrote on 1/17/2012, 8:52 PM
I use Ripple a lot and practically NEVER have Auto Ripple enabled - it is liable to cause exactly the sort of problems reported.

I have Post Edit Ripple (All Events, Markers and Regions) assigned to a single button of my Shuttle Pro, but Ctrl/Shift F does the same thing , so effectively Vegas never ripples for me, I ripple when I decide to.

Ripple heaven.
ushere wrote on 1/17/2012, 9:53 PM
well stated bob!!!

i simply use a programmed key - and keep my finger on it till i'm done with it.

Grazie wrote on 1/17/2012, 10:11 PM
Ahem! Bob, credit where it's due, dear boy....

I thought I recogged my brand of techie foresight and IT knowledge. Mind you, that WAS back in 2007...... I'm truly a very sad person.....

G
Grazie wrote on 1/17/2012, 10:41 PM
Like many others here, I'm now into my 2nd decade here with this NLE and derivatives of it, and I've become hugely aware that those engineers I've seen AND met with at trade shows here and in Amsterdam, is that Vegas pushes and pushes new and advancing features. And often some features either wither and/or remain dormant and, until awoken, break through the Workspace interface and make their presence felt: Auto Ripple, in my opinion, needs further, sensible and creative redesigning.

How often have you repeated the same issue resulting in an extensive use of Ctrl+X?! I know I do.

Here's a novel idea, when the behemoth "AutoRipple" is summoned, a small discreet "other" magnified window opens, clearly delineating that which is being manipulated.

Cheers

G

Steve Mann wrote on 1/17/2012, 11:22 PM
Auto ripple is evil and only gets turned on when I need it turned on.
Grazie wrote on 1/18/2012, 12:17 AM
And then there's Steve's approach.

G

farss wrote on 1/18/2012, 12:39 AM
The same as mine, why you'd leave it on escapes me.
That said I do now, after a decade, use both All and Affected tracks, depending on my needs..

Worthy of mention is that life would be easier if I could lock tracks. Yes, I have the scripts to lock / unlock and use them reguarly. As I'd forgotten and nearly got bitten by, those scripts only lock the events on the track at the time you run them. Add an event to a "locked" track and it isn't locked.

Bob.
Steven Myers wrote on 1/18/2012, 1:23 AM
If you own a firearm, it is imperative that you know -- at all times -- where it is, whether it is loaded, etc. For many, this awareness becomes second nature.
For others, it does not. These are the ones who get nailed trying to board commercial aircraft "I forgot!"
Many great tools are dangerous. You need to know which type of person you are and act accordingly.
JJKizak wrote on 1/18/2012, 6:37 AM
I suggested ((Sony suggestions) many years ago that there be some kind of ripple blinking thing when it is on which could be set as an option. I also suggested that the frame text which indicates where the cursor is located (where the three texts are located) be illuminated/color change. This being an option if you do not have frames
selected in the options.
JJK
larry-peter wrote on 1/18/2012, 9:53 AM
I agree this implementation needed to be updated. At the very least, I'd like to see it as a "one-time-only" event which has to be enabled on each use. It's obviously a holdover from ancient CMX editing where you would type in a new event time code and hit "ripple". If you wanted to ripple edit again you had to do the same process. At least that was the original implementation that I recall.

Larry
ritsmer wrote on 1/18/2012, 10:14 AM
I use the great Ripple Edit for synchronizing stills and videobits to the music.
It would be devastating if it would turn off after each use - then I would have to turn it on again and again and again and ...

PS: Undo does wonders when you ripple one time too much :- )
... but I also do admit that it took several ruined .vegs before I learned to remember if this loaded gun had its safety switch on or off...
larry-peter wrote on 1/18/2012, 10:35 AM
Maybe a good compromise would be more options in Preferences for how it is enabled for each user. This obviously falls into the category of "operator error", but I rarely use ripple. On my current project I have a 30 minute video with over 20 tracks that I've been asked to insert a new complex sequence. It was maddening to find that after completing the edits then (forgetting to turn it off) adding many text events to the top layer and trimming them my project was a mess. I quickly learned the shortcut, but anytime operator error can be minimized with a simple fix, I'll vote for it.

Larry
dxdy wrote on 1/18/2012, 10:50 AM
I too have longed for a bigger RIPPLE IS ON indicator (or flashing or whatever). I bet that whoever introduced the colorful vertical event alignment lines (called "thingies" in a post at the time) could do something equally clever for rippling. For example, turn the leading edge of anything subject to mass ripple bright red, and some kind of indicator of off-screen impact, too.

My 2 cents...
Former user wrote on 1/18/2012, 10:57 AM
Bob,

I don't know if you would know but,
can a script be written that when RIPPLE is on, a flashing icon or something can be present. Maybe instead of using the regular Ripple off and on, you use the script ripple off and on and it causes a large graphic or icon to appear.

Just curious. I don't know anything about scripting.

Dave T2
jetdv wrote on 1/18/2012, 11:49 AM
I also tend to save new VEG files (with different filenames)

This is done automatically for you if you use Auto Save (bundled with Excalibur). It will save a time stamped file every "x" minutes automatically for you giving you many backup points! Auto Save is also FREE to use!
MUTTLEY wrote on 1/18/2012, 1:48 PM
"I'd like to see it as a "one-time-only" event which has to be enabled on each use."

aCk! That would completely destroy my workflow. Can we just stop asking Big Brother to save us from our own mistakes? The mere suggestion that I would have to turn it on a hundred times because someone cant remember to turn it off once is more than enough to leave me frustrated. Seriously folks, there are so many ways to prevent this from happening and if you find yourself continually forgetting to turn it off after you just turned it on a minute ago than just don't use it, remove it from your toolbar. How many times do you have to get burned by the stove before you think "Hm, I shouldn't put my hand there." The fact that you have gotten burned should make you a bit more cautious and train you to pay a bit more attention the next time you use it. Stop blaming your tools, it works exactly as advertised. Pretending that it's somehow a problem with Vegas or attempting to point the finger at Sony on this one does nothing to make this "complaint" a valid one. I don't think Sony's goal should be to make Vegas Alzheimers friendly. All the suggestions here are borderline hilarious complicated solutions to a very simple problem.

As I've stated I have had this happen to me, as I've stated I've made many stupid mistakes while editing including getting confused as to what track I'm on even though tracks are highlighted and have a blinking light, those things won't save you.

The bottom line is that Vegas cannot prevent me from making stupid mistakes if I absolutely insist on making them. Auto-ripple is on when the icon is down, it's off when its up, if you're using it take 1/1000 of a second to glance up there once in awhile. Beyond that always ALWAYS save the project under a new name anytime you do anything more than a simple tweak to a project. Always.

- Ray
Underground Planet

farss wrote on 1/18/2012, 2:13 PM
"I don't know if you would know"

I don't know much about scripting so I'm not the best guy to ask.

What I think we be the simplest solution to keep everyone happy is to change some attribute of the cursor when ripple is on. Vegas already does this when you change to Selection / Zoom / Envelope Editing.

I guess the purists would argue that changing the shape of the cursor doesn't fit with the paradigm that applies when the mode of the cursor is changed so how about optionally changing the color of the cursor.

Bob.