SOT Microsoft Breaks Windows!

ChristoC wrote on 8/21/2016, 5:47 PM
Not for the first time, Microsoft has broken Windows in it's latest "Anniversary" incarnation... should win Olympic Gold for Shooting in Foot.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/windows-10-update-breaks-camera-for-millions-of-users-20160821-gqxvh1.html

"It's even breaking Skype, software owned by Microsoft." ha ha ha.....

Comments

imaginACTION_films wrote on 8/22/2016, 12:32 AM
+1
Final straw for me was that Win 10 won't run Flight Sim X properly. Direct X 12 issue.
Add to that strange audio issues and recording problems in Vegas and today I'm reverting to Win 7 64-bit. Guess I'll have to also run NEVER10 so I don't get automatically upgraded like last time...
David
ritsmer wrote on 8/22/2016, 1:37 AM
+1
Thinking "let Win 10 get mature before installing it" I waited until the very last day for free updating my Win 7 Ultimate.
Since then I have spent several hours a day googling for help in many, many issues.

Today there are still too many issues - and since I can not go on using so many hours on Win 10 - I just ordered a second SSD for installation of an Acronis copy of my good old Win 7 system.

Then I can double boot - and will come back to Win 10 in from time to time to see if it has become usable - or if it still is the greatest prank of all times for hundreds of thousands of innocent users.
Radio Guy wrote on 8/22/2016, 7:26 AM
I had an issue where it downloaded the anniversary update, which I had no idea it was doing, and it froze at 73 percent. Rebooted and said update failed and rolling back to previous version all by it's lonesome. Thank goodness. Win 7 was solid I wish I never updated to 10 and yes audio problems on a restart almost always.

Cheers
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 8/22/2016, 9:45 AM
This thread (and consequent further research into the matter) made me download the Anniversary update :) and all went without a hitch.

All my apps still work the same way, which includes Vegas 12 and Vegas 13 and a few other vital ones such as a Wacom tablet and TVP animation software, Norton and Malware subscriptions, plus a few minor apps such as gadgets. I am told that Defender now works as would be expected for those who want a free protection app -- I don't -- yet, and there seem to be no problems with that but this is a bit too early to know any such thing for sure. It's good to know I have a choice now.

My Skype with a pretty old webcam works seemingly with no changes or surprises.

My Carbonite backup software seems to have improved dramatically in speed and that's about all I have to report.

Thanks for informing me about this obviously useful update.

Paul
john-baker wrote on 8/23/2016, 12:54 PM
Thinking "let Win 10 get mature before installing it" I waited until the very last day for free updating my Win 7 Ultimate.
Since then I have spent several hours a day googling for help in many, many issues.

Today there are still too many issues - and since I can not go on using so many hours on Win 10

The problem with the Win 7 or 8 to 10 upgrade is that sometimes the upgrade messes up some of the system files.

Try running a sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt see steps 3 - 11 in this tutorial originally written for Magix software issues after upgrading.

John EB

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP Pro Premium, Video Pro X4, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015, DVD Architect 7 build 100..

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.