sot: win 7 home prem or pro?

ushere wrote on 5/19/2012, 3:01 AM
ok. after all the hassles with cs6, (still can't install), i realised i'd be pushing my 60gb ssd close to full anyway.
so, decided to get a 120gb ssd and do a clean install (keeping the old one as a back up!).

want to know if people are using the 64bit home premium version, and if so, anything i should be aware of, other than the 16gb mem limit?

tia

Comments

JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/19/2012, 9:04 AM
> "want to know if people are using the 64bit home premium version, and if so, anything i should be aware of, other than the 16gb mem limit?"

There is also a CPU limit. Windows Home Premium will only recognize 1 physical CPU (with as many cores as it has) while Pro will recognize 2 or more. So if you build a PC with 2 Quad Cores you'll need Pro. I know this won't affect you but I just wanted to answer the question for others who are wondering about the major differences.

I'm use Home Premium with a single Core 2 Quad and 8GB of memory.

~jr
SuperG wrote on 5/19/2012, 9:07 AM
Nothing that I'm aware of, and I've been running it for the last two years. I'm not missing joining a Domain server, and 8Gbs works quite well.
john_dennis wrote on 5/19/2012, 11:09 AM
I run Professional on my desktop and Home Premium (pre-installed) on my laptop.

When I first selected a version, the features that I thought might be more useful in Professional were 1) multiple sockets, 2) greater that 16 GB memory limit, 3) Windows XP Mode, and 4) remote desktop (client and host).

So far, I have not used any feature that Home Premium wouldn't have handled.

The Comparison Chart in this link might be useful.
rmack350 wrote on 5/19/2012, 11:30 AM
I use 3 and 4 from John's list. If you've never needed remote desktop and don't think you'd need to I'd think premium would be fine.

Rob
videoITguy wrote on 5/19/2012, 11:47 AM
I only use Pro because it allows creating recovery and repair back to square one of system build with a licensed image of the system.

I insist in all professional situations that use an OS that allows this.. so that I guarantee a system build will not be lost.
john_dennis wrote on 5/19/2012, 12:09 PM
"I only use Pro because it allows creating recovery and repair back to square one of system build with a licensed image of the system."

I tried the Windows 7 Professional system image save function and went back to my old habits of a standalone backup and restore with GHOST 15. I never install GHOST on the machine because I think it tries to help me too much to get my job done. I'll admit that my method of backup and restore would not scale to a larger group well. It would get real tedious, real fast with a larger inventory of machines.
ushere wrote on 5/19/2012, 6:48 PM
thanks guys, reassuring to know.

as it'll be on my existing rig (i7/920/12gb ram) i think home prem will do ok.

@videoitguy - I only use Pro because it allows creating recovery and repair back to square one of system build with a licensed image of the system.

not sure what you're saying? can't i do an image backup as i do (regularly) with home prem. from what i read the only difference in this aspect is you can't do so to network or nas with home.....
videoITguy wrote on 5/19/2012, 7:27 PM
As far as I know -only the Pro versions of Win7 give you a way to do built-in images of OS drives built-up in a system - advantage is that is also tied into partial repair and recovery methods as well. Has nothing to do with networking features. And nothing to do with Microsoft's silly restore points tech inside Windows interface.

As others have pointed out you could use third-party products to restore images for the non-Pro versions..but a little more problematic approach as they have stated- and usually a restore means fully replace what your drive may have on it today.
john_dennis wrote on 5/19/2012, 8:27 PM
I checked the Windows Home Premium installation on my laptop and the option to save a system image is available in Control Panel / Backup and Restore. Saving to a non-boot disk or partition is supported. The option to save "On a Network Location" was not present, however. This is likely because Windows 7 Home Premium can not join a domain. I did have shared folders available on my Home Group for these machines.

The Professional machine would allow me to save the image on any kind of network share while the Home Premium machine would not.
videoITguy wrote on 5/19/2012, 11:56 PM
I was not aware that home premium win 7 did have the system image restore..thanks for reviewing that for us.
Seth wrote on 5/22/2012, 4:33 PM
I would say stick to Pro:

If you build a new system and wish to migrate your license, you can go beyond the hardware limitations imposed by Home Premium [16GB RAM, Single Processor only].

Nowadays, RAM is so inexpensive as to be a waste if you don't build a new system with at least 16GB.