System Crashes

highmtn wrote on 2/26/2023, 5:28 AM

First of all, hello everyone. And I do want to follow the rules here, but I just upgraded to Vegas Post 20 and there doesn't seem to be an area in this forum to post about it. Sorry, but why "Vegas 17 and below" is what is stated here, with no place that I can find to post about the current Version 20 product?

My problem is getting stability out of the upgraded software (I've been using Vegas Post 19 for over a year and a half, very stable. I purchased the upgrade because of the inclusion in the sale of Continuum Title Studio. I need a good title program, something much better than the standard Vegas text.

But Vegas 20 POST and Continuum Title Studio seem to be incompatible. Just a few seconds of playback of an already-rendered file, trying to add a title, and crash. Again and again.

My PC is a monster that I had built just for video editing, and Vegas is my editing system of choice.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 core 32 thread

64 GB (2x 32 GB ) XPG Gammix D20 DDR4 3200 MHZ

2TB Samsung 980 Pro MZ-V8P2T0 Solid State C: Drive

Arctic Liquid Freezer cooling system

NVIDIA RTX A4500 graphics card - 20 GB built-in RAM with the latest, current driver 526.67

2 ea. Seagate Iron Wolf 4TB 7200 RPM Hard Drives

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

Asus Prime B550M-A Desktop Motherboard

I just want it to stop crashing since I upgraded to Vegas 20. I got the playback to stop the stammering that so often happens with a new Vegas software load.

But it chokes every time I get Title Studio running (within Vegas, through the Vegas FX menu), and then hit PLAY. Full Vegas freeze and crash. I can get some nice titles in TItle Studio. Beautiful. But Vegas crashes. It just doesn't seem to be up to the task.

I am trying to run a rendered mp4 file, 3840 x 2160, 29.97 fps. and just get it to keep running with a simple (non-animated) Title.

It will sometimes run for a few seconds, then lockup.

I have rendered hundreds of videos with effects and titles and mulitiple camera tracks on this machine, and it has no issues.

Vegas 20 and Boris Continuum Title Studio are not playing together nicely. Shall I go back to Vegas Post 19 and New Blue Titler Pro? The Boris product is what I want to use, and why I bought the Vegas 20 Upgrade.

Thank you. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love some help. There must be some optimization configurations that would possibly resolve this.

Bob

Last changed by highmtn on 2/26/2023, 5:30 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

My PC is a monster that I had built just for video editing, and Vegas is my editing system of choice.

NVIDIA RTX A4500 graphics card - 20 GB built-in RAM with the latest, current driver 526.67

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

Comments

Former user wrote on 2/26/2023, 8:33 AM

@highmtn Hi, sorry I can't help you but I can confirm that Title Studio plays like crap on my system, it always has tho, 18, 19 & now 20, I've never been able to use it because the lag makes it frustrating, to be honest tho I've pretty much stopped using Vegas for effects because of the lag & crashing.

I think the Intel CPU's manage a lot better then AMD & I don't think the RTX GPU's do as well as the RX's, I don't know about your A4500 .

If you click your icon at the top of this page - My Profile & fill in your Signature with the full name of your CPU, GPU & amount of RAM, also inc the Windows & Magix version, this will then show at the bottom of your comments, 👍

highmtn wrote on 2/26/2023, 6:22 PM

@Gid Thanks for your response and the information about putting my equipment and software into my profile. I intend to try to get Title Studio to at least Not Crash with Vegas 20, but that may be a fool's errand.

The Titles look so much better than the regular Vegas built-in titles (which, by the way, when Vegas of any version is running poorly, even moving a Vegas title on the timeline at the wrong moment can bring the whole thing crashing down...)

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

Former user wrote on 2/26/2023, 8:46 PM

@highmtn Hi, yeah I would like to use Title Studio more often but after just ½hr of having it open I close it through frustration or it crashes, 
I wonder if anyone has it running smoothly or does it just stutter for everyone? I have never been able to make it play at full fps, there's loads of bits I haven't spent much time with but keyframing is pretty much impossible when it doesn't play at the true speed, the spline's nodes are sometimes impossible to grab hold of to a point where I give up, if you zoom in on the preview next to the little corner squares is a black sq that sometimes you need to grab but it's offset 🤦‍♂️ 
My machine should be able to run this plugin smoothly & I've been through it with Boris a couple of times but I've pretty much given up on it.

highmtn wrote on 2/26/2023, 9:02 PM

It may be one of those things that you have to work with on short clips or even still images that you import into a standalone Title Studio, then render it and export that rendered Title transparency into Vegas. That would be a total workaround, and wasn't what I had in mind when I purchased it, but it could be a way to get amazing titles into Vegas Pro/Post.

It's kind of sad if the most robust PC's on the planet cannot run these programs without constant crashing. That's not what the advertisements imply.

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

RogerS wrote on 2/26/2023, 10:06 PM

You're in the right forum for all versions of Vegas Pro. Vegas 17 and below is for Movie Studio which became a different program.

Is Boris support at all helpful for their program? I haven't used it myself so can't share any experiences.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

highmtn wrote on 2/27/2023, 12:19 AM

@RogerS - Thanks for letting me know this is the correct forum for Vegas 20.

I have contacted Boris in the past. Most vendors point at the other guy. "It's Vegas's Problem" "It's a Boris FX problem. Often it's an incompatibility issue that you would think two vendors doing a mutual-benefit promotion would at least make sure their products would work together, and have some "best practices" available for the specific task of using the two products together as implied by the offering of an upgrade of the combination of said products.

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

RogerS wrote on 2/27/2023, 12:55 AM

No disagreement from me, just a suggestion to try support for both in hopes one has advice for fixing it!

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

lan-mLMC wrote on 2/27/2023, 1:29 AM

About the crash, try downloading the latest version of Title Studio (Continuum) available to you:

https://borisfx.com/legacy-downloads/?&product=Continuum&host=OFX&platform=Windows%2064-Bit

As to whether TS will run well in Vegas, this tutorial says Yes:

About why Boris FX's products and Vegas don't work so smoothly together:
There are two reasons: 1. In Boris FX's maintenance priority list, Adobe, AVID, Davinci, Foundry Nuke, etc., will be ahead of Vegas, so they are not always optimized for Vegas. 2. The ancient code architecture of Vegas limits its performance, so the collaboration performance with the third party OFX is not so ideal.

So before you buy a product, try to get a trial version. Buy after you get the results you want.

highmtn wrote on 2/27/2023, 1:30 AM

@RogerS thank you for the suggestion. I have just posted on the BorisFX forum, and it is evident from going there that representatives from BorisFX are monitoring the posts, and taking part in the discussions. It also seems evident that they have a good working relationship with VEGAS support, and that they do work on issues like this. The issues just need to be brought to their attention, and then, hopefully, they will eventually issue bugfixes in one or the other, or both companies' software updates. Most of the questioning, logically, starts out over what hardware, and what versions of sofwares are at play, and at what point in use of the products does the offending crash take place...?

I did make the offer there, and will make it here, as well, if developers would like a short screen-capture video, showing what the user experience is like when attempting to use these products together, I would be more than happy to provide that information. I can provide all info on hardware, software, and mode of use.

I just want to be able to use the products.

Then, hopefully, everyone else who wants it to work will also benefit from that process.

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

RogerS wrote on 2/27/2023, 2:13 AM

Can you do official support and not just user forums? Regardless I think the screen capture and details would be very helpful to include here in the thread and in a support request.

For Vegas, the support is here: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/support/options/

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the

highmtn wrote on 2/28/2023, 12:06 AM

So I want to thank everyone who made suggestions. My system now does not immediately crash, and runs Title Studio from within Vegas 20.

@lan-mLMC provided the final nudge that got me to a point where the two programs began to cooperate.

Along with the users on this site, I did get good suggestions from the BorisFX forums, and was pleased to see that there was moderation from BorisFX, who reached out to me, asking the usual questions about equipment, software in use, etc... and they did seem to agree that a little bit of updating could help with some onboarding links.

And users here on the Vegas site did encourage me to try the things that we all forget to do when we find ourselves frustrated by crashing software. The fog of war, I think it is called.

SOLUTION:

It seems that the links that were provided with my bundle purchase from MAGIX were to a legacy version of Boris Continuum. Several versions old...

So I uninstalled all of the BorisFX products from my computer, and went to the downloads area on the BorisFX site. I actually found a more current version than the one the links in Ian's post included. But thank you Ian, for getting me into this mode. So I went through it twice, after discovering that Ian's link was also to legacy versions, albeit that those were newer than what was provided in the MAGIX Bundle install links. I wanted to start afresh with the current, latest, greatest version of Continuum as the "wrapper" for Title Studio. At the end of the install, BCC removes the Continuum elements that are not part of the Magix bundle. That's fine. I don't want my picklists cluttered with things I can't access.

Immediately after this updating of versions, no crashes upon merely trying to run video with both programs running That was a first.

I had a couple of stock template animated titles over some simple 4K footage, and it ran in Vegas 20. There was a little bit of a time lag between audio and video, but it ran, like a tank. I could get the audio and video to sync-up better for timing by reducing the monitor display resolution. Not ideal, but understandable with resource-intensive plugins.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, insofar as getting tolerable use, and only adding the complicated titles as the final step in building a video. I will continue to look for ways to optimize playback and stabilize for the occasional crashes that I have always experienced periodically with Vegas. I also expect there to be some Vegas Updates, as previous installs have usually paced-out incremental updates about once per week, until you have gone through the gamut of existing updates.

The titles are stunning. When rendered they of course run flawlessly and really have an impact on the look of the video.

So it would probably be WAY COOL if Magix would use links that are up-to-date when they put together a bundle that includes BorisFX products, or any other, for that matter. 

I was really disappointed when Vegas would crash every time I launched BCC Title Studio.  I am really elated to have it working properly now. 

I will continue to test as time allows, but it appears to me that the issue is resolved from removing outdated legacy BCC and replacing it with the current version.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, and I hope this post helps current and future Vegas users.

Bob

Last changed by highmtn on 2/28/2023, 12:11 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply

highmtn wrote on 2/28/2023, 12:32 AM

The Title Studio plugin itself was/is a 2021 product... but the BCC Continuum that has to be installed to run the Title Studio was old, and did not have the needed magic to properly coordinate the dance between Vegas 20 and Old Title Studio. I don't believe there is a more updated version of Title Studio itself, but Title Studio is a child of Continuum. Updating Continuum was the fix.

Windows 10 Professional

1000 watt power supply