Tests and findings with Quick Sync and V13

prairiedogpics wrote on 11/27/2015, 10:13 AM
(Or, how I spent my Thanksgiving!)

I pulled the trigger and upgraded to Vegas 13 (Edit) yesterday from 10, mainly because I discovered that V13 supports Intel's Quick Sync (I have the HD3000 chipset) and I also wanted to play around with the one-click Vegas2Handbrake tool.

I ran a couple of tests with HDV footage. Rendered to 720p/.mp4 in all five cases:

1. Sony AVC CPU only
2. Sony AVC Quick Sync (quality)
3. Sony AVC Quick Sync (speed)
4. Vegas2Handbrake
5. Frameserved to MEGUI using Bubblevision method.

(All intended for and uploaded to YouTube.)

- By far the highest quality was obtained with #5, though it was also by far the slowest.
- #3 was twice as fast as #2 (and therefore the fastest overall method), but the quality seemed similar between #s 2 and 3.
- #1 had the lowest quality; i.e. extremely soft
- #4 look pretty good, and was better than #s 1,2, and 3. Still not as good as #5.
- The Quick Sync capability is a great tool for just running tests for looks, fx, and editing choices.

Also, I'm planning to upgrade to an iPhone 6s+ around Christmas, and I want to be able to play around with its 4K capabilities.

I'm glad I upgraded.

Comments

NickHope wrote on 11/27/2015, 11:07 PM
My "Bubblevision method". That guide was written some years ago so there will no doubt be some differences in installation and usage now. But the magic of QTGMC deinterlacing remains, along with x264 compression.

Also bear in mind the VP13 / Frameserver issues which don't exist in previous versions, and unfortunately were never addressed. I'm lucky to have a licence for VP12 so I frameserve from that.
prairiedogpics wrote on 11/28/2015, 9:34 AM
Aww, man, Nick. That's rain on my parade!
As a hobbyist, I hadn't noticed that problem.
Historically, I used Vegas 10 (64-bit) with your method, so I uninstalled V13 frameserver version and re-installed the old 2.14 version that still works with Vegas 10.
It still frameserves 48k as before via Vegas 10 (64-bit), so I'm good there. Whew!
I read that old post thread re: the issues in V13.
So you never heard back from Satish about the cause/fix?
wwaag wrote on 11/28/2015, 10:43 AM
The 44.1Khz issue when using V13 is real easy to solve. Simply render out a separate 48Khz AAC file from Vegas and remux. It's very fast.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

NCARalph wrote on 11/28/2015, 1:01 PM
Interesting. I have a Skylake 6700K based system, so the QuickSync is the latest, and it works very well in Handbrake and Edius. However, Vegas doesn't seem to be able to use it at all. I just tried rendering as I understand you did, Sony AVC 720 30p and quick sync and got a Quick Sync not available error.

If Sony is still maintaining Vegas it would be good if they updated Quick Sync support.
Streamworks Audio wrote on 11/28/2015, 1:18 PM
If I recall correctly, Quick Sync ony works in Vegas if you are using the integrated graphics. If you have a dedicated GPU then Quick Sync will give you an error.

wwaag wrote on 11/28/2015, 1:30 PM
@NCARalph

To use QS in Vegas, your Intel HD display adapter has to active. I have a dual monitor setup, so I have my Intel HD adapter drive one monitor and an Nvidia card drive the 2nd monitor. I use the Nvidia card for GPU processing.

Regardless, QS renders in Vegas are limited to 720P. Attempting to render to 1080P produces an error. Sony is aware of the problem but as of yet, hasn't fixed it.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

NCARalph wrote on 11/28/2015, 1:37 PM
I've always had a monitor plugged into the onboard graphics, but I tried disabling my separate video card, rebooting, and rendering using Quick Sync and got the same result from Vegas, Quick Sync not available.

Edius had to do an update to support Skylake QS, so apparently something isn't compatible.

Has anyone gotten Quick Sync to run in Vegas on a Skylake (6700K) processor?
prairiedogpics wrote on 11/28/2015, 2:24 PM
See this video:

I do not have a GPU installed on my computer. I'm using the onboard HD3000 chipset. I think the important factor is that you have to have either:
- two monitors connected, as I do (primary monitor the DVI-I out on the mobo, secondary monitor to the VGA out on the mobo), or
- have both DVI-I and VGA connected to the same monitor, via integrated graphics AND GPU, and switch between the two, as the guy in the video illustrates.

With my HD3000 chipset, Vegas 13, and two monitors, Quick Sync works great, but only for 720p.

wwaag, what tool do you use to remux?

Edit: Nevermind, wwaag, I found your tool and screenshots!
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=927372
NickHope wrote on 11/28/2015, 10:18 PM
So you never heard back from Satish about the cause/fix?

Sadly not. I've just asked him again.

EDIT: See this thread.