Toggle audio-plugin window (shortcut needed)

Petersson wrote on 8/19/2023, 8:20 AM

Is there any possibility to show / hide the infamous "audio plugin window" (docked, or not)?

It's the window in this screenshot and it contains all audio related plug-ins (master fx / audio track / bus fx).

I can't find it under "preferences > change keyboard shortcuts", so I guess there is no shortcut attached to it.

But I "need" to enable / disable (show / hide) it hundreds of times a day, because of this bug;

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/bug-vst-becomes-slow-if-attached-to-envelope-vegas-20-401-411--141369/#ca889215

That bug is "gone" (a work-a-round) when the window is not visible, that's why I need a shortcut to quickly show / hide it.

Any one who knows something about scripting and binding a shortcut to the visibility of that particular window?

Thanks in advance!

BTW. There is a menu-entry "tools > audio > track fx", but that one hasn't a shortcut either.

So if you can't access the main window, a script for toggling this sub window is also (maybe) a solution.

Comments

Petersson wrote on 8/20/2023, 12:47 PM

No one?

Is there any possibility to achieve what I want?

A dedicated shortcut to toggle the "audio fx" window (for both master bus and default audio track).

For the moment this is my workaround, so at least I can try Vegas 21, build 108 (due to this bug, preventing me to alter automated FX by an envelope);

1. I created a workspace without the audio window visible (making the bug disappear) and attached a shortcut to it ( ALT + X );
  2. I created a custom shortcut ( ALT + Z ) to show the audio window for the track event.

So ALT + X makes the window disappear and ALT + Z show the track event FX window.

It works, the bug is gone, but this has one disadvantage because I can't create a workspace where the event FX window itself is visible by default.

And I can't attach a shortcut to the audio Master FX window, only to the audio Track FX window.

Any help solving the issue is appreciated.

jetdv wrote on 8/20/2023, 4:23 PM

You cannot open the AudioFX window from a script.

Robert Johnston wrote on 8/20/2023, 6:31 PM

@Petersson

The only way I see to keep the MasterFX dialog open is to first dock it. Then save as a custom window layout (View > Window Layouts > Save as). Create all the layouts you want with MasterFX dialog docked. To activate a custom layout, you'll need to use the keyboard shortcut system for layouts that is hardcoded in Vegas. Let's say you have 3 custom window layouts. You would press Alt + D, release, then 0 for the first custom layout. For the second custom layout press Alt + D, release, then 1 for the second layout or 2 for the third, etc..

If you ever close the MasterFX dialog, it won't appear in any window layout you select after that. You will need to open it again, but not necessarily dock it. If you select a window layout that was not saved with the MasterFX docked, the MasterFX will not appear. You'll have to open it. And after you open Vegas for the first time, you will need to open the MasterFX dialog, and then select a custom layout that was saved when the MasterFX was docked.

Intel Core i7 10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz (to 4.65GHz), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GBytes. Memory 32 GBytes DDR4. Also Intel UHD Graphics 630. Mainboard: Dell Inc. PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s) Comet Lake. Bench CPU Multi Thread: 5500.5 per CPU-Z.

Vegas Pro 21.0 (Build 108) with Mocha Vegas

Windows 11 not pro

Petersson wrote on 8/21/2023, 3:47 AM

@Petersson

The only way I see to keep the MasterFX dialog open is to first dock it. Then save as a custom window layout (View > Window Layouts > Save as). Create all the layouts you want with MasterFX dialog docked. To activate a custom layout, you'll need to use the keyboard shortcut system for layouts that is hardcoded in Vegas. Let's say you have 3 custom window layouts. You would press Alt + D, release, then 0 for the first custom layout. For the second custom layout press Alt + D, release, then 1 for the second layout or 2 for the third, etc..

If you ever close the MasterFX dialog, it won't appear in any window layout you select after that. You will need to open it again, but not necessarily dock it. If you select a window layout that was not saved with the MasterFX docked, the MasterFX will not appear. You'll have to open it. And after you open Vegas for the first time, you will need to open the MasterFX dialog, and then select a custom layout that was saved when the MasterFX was docked.

That's what I did.

It is easy to create a workspace without that window.

But it seems impossible to create a workspace with that window (even if you save it in a "docked" state).

The window (by default) is not visible; the space (for the dock) is reserved, but you can't "shortcut" it to make it appear; you have to click on that tiny button.