Comments

Liam_Vegas wrote on 2/27/2005, 2:48 PM
Need more input... what?
filmy wrote on 2/27/2005, 3:22 PM
Is this the esoteric thread?

Q - Why did the esoteric chicken cross the road?
A - The light bulb.
GaryKleiner wrote on 2/27/2005, 4:03 PM
Me glom per shoot jipnet.

Gary
Coursedesign wrote on 2/27/2005, 4:09 PM
Grazie,

Whose rack were you focusing on?

Bjorn
nickle wrote on 2/27/2005, 4:14 PM
Is this related to driving on the wrong side of the road backwards using the rearview mirror?
jaegersing wrote on 2/27/2005, 4:30 PM
You can also say "Focus Rack To Reverse Use" and convey just about the same amount of meaning.

Grazie - what are you talking about? :)

Richard
Grazie wrote on 2/27/2005, 9:41 PM
"Throw" or "Rack" focus - means for me that I can employ a shallow depth of field to create layers of "focus". I can easily "scrb" a tiny piece of video and using the Reverse option on the Popup menu to turn the focus movement - thus changing the emphasis.

Grazie
Spot|DSE wrote on 2/27/2005, 9:45 PM
Still confused on this side of the water, Grazie....
If it's in reverse, then your action is also reversed. I can see how you might create a cut from what started out of focus and goes into focus, reverse it and then immediately cut to a new scene of the same thing in focus, but after just trying what I think you're suggesting, it doesn't work at all.
Howzabout more detailed explanation for those of us not picking up your concept?
Grazie wrote on 2/27/2005, 9:56 PM
Think non-movement . . yes?
Grazie wrote on 2/27/2005, 9:58 PM
Going in and out of focus too! - G
Grazie wrote on 2/27/2005, 10:00 PM
DSE - I've recently used this on "still" items that I wanted to show depth of field. Used this with signage - works great! - G
Liam_Vegas wrote on 2/27/2005, 10:49 PM
Grazie

it's stilla little bit too subtle for me. Are you talking about a camera effect - doing a rack focus... or are you talking about some FX applied within Vegas?

Sorry to be so dumb here mate... brain cells must need some sleep or something.
farss wrote on 2/27/2005, 10:58 PM
Well I don't see where the 'reverse' bit comes into play but you can easily simulate a rack focus in Vegas, in fact one of the sample Veggies that comes with Vegas shows how to do it.
GB is also great for creating a distance cue. I remember first time I played around with this I was amazed at just how well you get get text (or anything for that matter) to move from afar to up close, change speed etc and have it go in front or behind other objects just by contolling Size, Blur and Motion Blur.

If you've got the time you can do it with moving stuff to by creating masks to separate the frame into layers but that can take a lot of painstaking work. However I've seen it done. If it's a locked down shot and there's say only someone walking around a corner towards camera it's not too hard. Of course it's way easier to do it in camera if you've got the gear.

Bob.
Grazie wrote on 2/27/2005, 11:22 PM
"Are you talking about a camera effect - doing a rack focus... or are you talking about some FX applied within Vegas?" - No. What I've found useful is that if I've got a Rack focus - A > B - DONE in camera and I want it to be the other way around - B > A - I can quickly do this using Reverse.

"Well I don't see where the 'reverse' bit comes into play but you can easily simulate a rack focus in Vegas, in fact one of the sample Veggies that comes with Vegas shows how to do it." No. I am not talking about "simulating" Rack Focus - all I'm saying is that using Reverse I can change my mind about in what direction I want the Rack to happen.

Hmmm .. . ? How difficult was that then?

Grazie
Liam_Vegas wrote on 2/27/2005, 11:33 PM
Hey Grazie

Just a <couple> of extra words in your original post would have made it all clear.

BUT... I liked the mysterious journey we have all been on as a result.

You are such a tease you know!
Grazie wrote on 2/27/2005, 11:35 PM
Understood. - Graham
Liam_Vegas wrote on 2/27/2005, 11:43 PM
Hey Grazie.... did you just go back and edit one of your posts without telling us? Sneaky!!

It all seems to make a lot more sense now though!

Very cool.
Grazie wrote on 2/28/2005, 12:07 AM
Liam - thank you for your too kind attention.

I corrected the spelling of Vages to Vegas. Is that ok with you? Sure? Are you absolutley sure? Wow .. you have the ability to confirm changes across threads . . cool!

"Sneaky" . . . tell me where and I'll enlighten you as well as myself. "Sneaky"? . .. Interesting.

. .and what is the "cool" thing you are referring to?

G
filmy wrote on 2/28/2005, 12:25 AM
>>>How difficult was that then?<<<

the chair.

the light bulb.

if two trians leave Liverpool at exaclty the same time on a tuesday what year will they reach euphoria?

Grazie, did you enjoy your sceening a bit too much? LOL!!

Seriously - ahh, got it now.
Liam_Vegas wrote on 2/28/2005, 12:55 AM
I must have missed one of your posts above.. that when I re-read it... seemed to jump out at me with what you were telling us all along... I thought you may have edited it (nothing wrong with that).

It's ALL cool Grazie.. really is. And.. just in case you are wondering.. I am not writing this with any form of sarcasm in me...

I truly do like the way your post sometimes come in with minimal information... as it makes me think harder about what it is you are suggesting. That's sort of like the approach of teaching where you really learn best when a teacher helps you find the solution by yourself. If all you ever do is just "lecture"... then a lot of that information and the value of it will be lost.

With all sincerity... thanks for this post.... you've made me think harder about this (and that is all GOOD).

Grazie wrote on 2/28/2005, 1:41 AM
Big Hug! Grazie!
jdas wrote on 2/28/2005, 2:12 AM
Grazie,

Are you able to get a smooth rack focus without the aid of a tripod ? What lens,settings do you use ? Appreciate your input. Thanks.
BrianStanding wrote on 2/28/2005, 7:50 AM
If your camera has "Push-Auto-Focus" and "Infinity Focus" buttons, you can use these to get pretty good rack focus effects.

For example:
- Rack focus from background to foreground: Start with focus on background, hit record, press the button to temporarily engage auto-focus and release once foreground object comes into focus.

- Rack focus from foreground to background: Start with focus on foreground object, hit record, press the "Infinity focus" button, release when background is clear.

I wouldn't dream of trying any kind of rack focus without a tripod.
williamconifer wrote on 2/28/2005, 8:49 AM
If I may, can we push this thread to Achieving a Rack Focus only using Vegas?

I've been pushed into a web design project lately so I haven't had a chance play with Vegas and simulating a rack focus effect.

Point: I want to create a Rack Focus effect as a transition to quickly and easily apply in my photo montage work. Like: A fade thru black to B while resolving a blur to a sharp image and Zooming in slightly on B.

From what I can tell the short zoom keeps me from creating a FX chain. As far as I can tell there is no FX that will do a short controlled zoom.

I would love to be able to be able to just drag and drop this transition. Any ideas on how to automate or custom create a drag and drop transition?

thanks again folks (m8s),
jack