utvideo Codec with Vegas Pro 13

Parallax Abstraction wrote on 7/28/2016, 7:37 PM
Hey everyone! I've used Lagarith happily for a long time but am starting to record lossless footage in OBS Studio, which uses the utvideo lossless codec. Without the codec, videos appear black & white in Vegas Pro 13. I've seen a lot of Vegas users talking about using utvideo but I can't get it working and I have no idea why. I've downloaded the latest release which is 16.1.1 and installed it but I get the same results in Vegas Pro 13, videos using that codec appear in black and white. I am using the 64-bit version of Vegas Pro but there's only one installer for utvideo, it's supposed to support 64-bit and it does install to C:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files (x86), usually an indication it's 64-bit.

Are there any additional steps needed to get this running in Vegas Pro 13 I'm not aware of? Thanks all!

Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 7/28/2016, 8:09 PM
The video format dropdown in Vegas shows seven different UT codecs, not one..
Which one ore you choosing? Many are not for general use.
The most logical choice, RGB24, shows all the colors.

Parallax Abstraction wrote on 7/30/2016, 3:15 PM
That's when choosing your render settings. My problem is, I'm trying to import utvideo encoded footage INTO Vegas Pro and though the clip will import, the preview is in black and white and when I render it back out, it's in black and white as well.
musicvid10 wrote on 7/30/2016, 6:47 PM
Try converting your source to RGB24 or YUV 8 bit in AVIDemux is all I can suggest.
NickHope wrote on 7/30/2016, 10:51 PM
Uninstall UT Video codec and try installing an older version of it.
John_Cline wrote on 7/31/2016, 3:54 AM
Yes, the last couple of versions of the UT video codec have had issues.
Parallax Abstraction wrote on 7/31/2016, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll try going back a few versions of utvideo and see if that helps. If not, I'll convert the video with AVIDemux as suggested. If that conversion is required every time, I probably won't bother using the lossless mode in OBS. I can set it to record with CQP rate control at 25 on high profile and the footage looks almost as good. Plus, YouTube transcodes it to Hell and gone anyway as we all know. Still, if an old video solves the issue, that's great for me. Thanks!