Comments

rsp wrote on 5/3/2009, 2:26 AM
Also pre-ordered the upgrade. Only doubt was which free product to choose - finally decided to go for the NewBlue Sampler Pack

Looking forward working with Vegas Pro 9!
TheRhino wrote on 5/6/2009, 4:30 PM
$185 for the upgrade & NewBlue Sampler = Great Deal!

We've been using Vegas since 3.0... We have Final Cut Pro & Premiere Pro installed on one workstation just so clients feel confident that we have all the tools as other professional studios, but we do 95% of our editing in Vegas because it's just plain faster and the audio tools are superior.

I guestimate that we save 6 hours per week using Vegas vs FCP. That's a savings of 15%! Time=Money & Money=Time!

When clients ask me what we use, I tell them all 3 programs and that we use the product that will give their project the best end-results. Once they see the final video, they are so impressed they never bother to ask which software we actually used for their particular project...

Workstation C with $600 USD of upgrades in April, 2021
--$360 11700K @ 5.0ghz
--$200 ASRock W480 Creator (onboard 10G net, TB3, etc.)
Borrowed from my 9900K until prices drop:
--32GB of G.Skill DDR4 3200 ($100 on Black Friday...)
Reused from same Tower Case that housed the Xeon:
--Used VEGA 56 GPU ($200 on eBay before mining craze...)
--Noctua Cooler, 750W PSU, OS SSD, LSI RAID Controller, SATAs, etc.

Performs VERY close to my overclocked 9900K (below), but at stock settings with no tweaking...

Workstation D with $1,350 USD of upgrades in April, 2019
--$500 9900K @ 5.0ghz
--$140 Corsair H150i liquid cooling with 360mm radiator (3 fans)
--$200 open box Asus Z390 WS (PLX chip manages 4/5 PCIe slots)
--$160 32GB of G.Skill DDR4 3000 (added another 32GB later...)
--$350 refurbished, but like-new Radeon Vega 64 LQ (liquid cooled)

Renders Vegas11 "Red Car Test" (AMD VCE) in 13s when clocked at 4.9 ghz
(note: BOTH onboard Intel & Vega64 show utilization during QSV & VCE renders...)

Source Video1 = 4TB RAID0--(2) 2TB M.2 on motherboard in RAID0
Source Video2 = 4TB RAID0--(2) 2TB M.2 (1) via U.2 adapter & (1) on separate PCIe card
Target Video1 = 32TB RAID0--(4) 8TB SATA hot-swap drives on PCIe RAID card with backups elsewhere

10G Network using used $30 Mellanox2 Adapters & Qnap QSW-M408-2C 10G Switch
Copy of Work Files, Source & Output Video, OS Images on QNAP 653b NAS with (6) 14TB WD RED
Blackmagic Decklink PCie card for capturing from tape, etc.
(2) internal BR Burners connected via USB 3.0 to SATA adapters
Old Cooler Master CM Stacker ATX case with (13) 5.25" front drive-bays holds & cools everything.

Workstations A & B are the 2 remaining 6-core 4.0ghz Xeon 5660 or I7 980x on Asus P6T6 motherboards.

$999 Walmart Evoo 17 Laptop with I7-9750H 6-core CPU, RTX 2060, (2) M.2 bays & (1) SSD bay...

wasted wrote on 5/8/2009, 6:52 AM
£165.95 - phew !
I wish I could justfy the cost, but as I am just a home hobbiest and do a project every couple of months, I can't afford it.
Perhaps I have the wrong product.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/8/2009, 7:10 AM
> I am just a home hobbiest and do a project every couple of months, I can't afford it.

The Movie Studio line is aimed at the home hobbiest and priced accordingly. It is an amazing amount of functionality for the price. If you are not making money from editing videos the upgrade may seem high but the productivity improvements it brings will usually pay for itself in just a few jobs so it's really not that bad at all to stay up-to-date.

I used Video Factory 2.0 (the former version of Movie Studio that only had 2 video tracks!) until I started making money from editing. I upgraded to Vegas Video 3.0 with my first check. I am amazewd at how many hobbiests buy the Pro version of Vegas. I know I could not afford it until I started making income from it. It's all relative.

~jr
Jay Gladwell wrote on 5/8/2009, 7:11 AM

Wasted, maybe this is what you need.

Johnny beat me to the punch.

Byron K wrote on 5/8/2009, 10:29 AM
I'm a serious home hobbyist and use Platinum 9 working on 2-3 videos a month many at the same time. Most of them are for family and friends, but occasionally get a paying gig to do a funeral or wedding collage and gotten great results using Platinum 9.

For me it's been very stable and doesn't have a lot of the "fluff" factor effects that make many home videos I've seen look cheesy.

I agree w/ JR. For the money, I highly recommend it. I'm getting to the point now that I need more tracks and higher end features (to many to list in this thread) that the Pro version has to offer so am going to upgrade from Platinum 9 to Pro 9.
wasted wrote on 5/8/2009, 1:18 PM
Thanks guys - that is very helpful. When my v8.1 no longer works for me then I'll switch to Movie Studio.
Steve Mann wrote on 5/11/2009, 9:15 AM
"You see postings almost every day (on Craigslist, and such) for NLE editors who have/know FCP, but I can't remember ever seeing a posting looking for someone specifically using Vegas."

Why should it matter what tools you use? Do you ask your handyman what brand of hammer he uses?
Byron K wrote on 5/22/2009, 11:02 PM
Automatic source media adjustment for working with mismatched media.

Can anyone assist me with how to use this feature? I've tried a search on the Help Index but could not find anything.

Thanks!