Vegas 13 audio problem.

DiDequ wrote on 5/15/2015, 10:07 AM
Hello.

I do not know if there is a bug with audio effects or not with Vegas 13 (previous and latest releases)
Searching this forum did not help me.

Adding a Volume effect to a film audio track, setting it to +5 db for example. Play my movie and check audio levels. Play again and I get another 5db increase. If I play it 4 times, I get a 20 db increase - rendering is OK.
Setting the volume to -5 db : the sound volume is reduced more and more.

Adding this Volume effect on a wav or mp3 file, there is no such problem : volume increase reacts as expected;

I did some research, found a workaround : if I want to listen a second time the audio, I right click the event and choose the subclip option. I then just get what I want with my Volume setting.

I get same problem with other audio effects, for example the equalizer will react more and more if I play and replay my project. Just choosing the subclip option and sound is Ok again.

I tried with my Asio sound card, the microsoft sound mapper. I tried resetting parameters.

I then cloned my Seven 64b Os, with my backup image, reinstalled Vegas 13 -> same problem.
I'll reinstall vegas 12 just to check.

Any idea ?

Comments

DiDequ wrote on 5/15/2015, 11:22 AM
And same problem with Vegas 12.
I can also use the ignore sound effects option in the Options menu !
john_dennis wrote on 5/15/2015, 12:16 PM
I cant reproduce this in Vegas Pro 13 with the volume effect on the track or the event. My camera video has the audio in wav.
pwppch wrote on 5/15/2015, 7:28 PM
Could not reproduce this behavior.

I cannot think of what could be causing this.

Peter
DiDequ wrote on 5/16/2015, 11:08 AM
Thank you for your help.

I found this problem ONLY appears with video files > 4GB.
When I import a video under this limit, no problem.
Media properties are the same !

Could someone check with such a big video file ?

To copy it on my computer, I used the HdWriter app, included with my Panasonic camera, otherwise, I get several 3.9 gb files on my sd card, and I can see 3D on the 1st one only. So with this HdWriter app, I can get a single video file ... with 3D

I also found another workaround with my big files : I add and play a small audio file that contains no sound on another track !
I have to duplicate this file, (if I mute the track, the trick does not work) to the lenght of my video.

More info : my video file is a 5.3 gb file, m2ts, 3D.
Keeping only 10 seconds of this video on a new project (cut - suppress) - same sound problem with audio effects !

As I have another 7 Gb file, I tried it : same problem.
john_dennis wrote on 5/16/2015, 1:25 PM
I tried a 6.7 GB MPEG-2 file with AC3 audio on a 4TB NTFS formatted HD. I could not reproduce the behavior with the +5db Volume FX at the track or event level.

Have you tried Insert / Audio Envelopes / Volume. You may find a volume envelope more flexible than a global effect.
pwppch wrote on 5/16/2015, 1:26 PM
What is the audio format of the big files?

PCM? AAC?

Peter
DiDequ wrote on 5/18/2015, 2:38 AM
Yes John, audio enveloppe is more flexible. But I do not know how to increase the volume with it.
I cut some parts, add this effect. Now, I can also (this is what I finally did) select the properties of the samples I want to increase and recalculate the Normalize value.

SonyPCH, the audio format was PCM. In case, I switched to Dolby AAC, but have no big files yet !

Problem is probably related to the use of HDwriter. I do not need this software if I remember pushing the on/off recording button from time to time (when possible)

I cannot mail this kind of file to Sony for investigations.

Again, thank you for your help and comments.
musicvid10 wrote on 5/18/2015, 7:10 AM
Post MediaInfo results for your large files, please.
This is possibly the weirdest symptom I've heard.
Also describe how you're playing/previewing the audio.

dxdy wrote on 5/18/2015, 7:17 AM
By any odd chance, does your very large file reside on a USB drive? There was once a problem with reading files from very large USB drives, it might have been audio, not sure.