VEGAS LUT Filter GPU acceleration

balazer wrote on 3/29/2018, 2:49 AM

Vegas Pro 15 build 311 was supposed to update the VEGAS LUT Filter to be GPU accelerated. I see now that the filter shows up in the list of GPU accelerated filters. But the filter is still just as slow as before - somewhat slower than the VisionColor LUT Plugin. I have GPU acceleration of video processing enabled in Vegas's video preferences, with my video card selected, Nvidia Quadro K3000M.

Is GPU acceleration of the VEGAS LUT Filter working for anyone else?

Comments

AVsupport wrote on 3/29/2018, 3:47 AM

na. seems like a fable..[nvidia gtx1060/6]

Last changed by AVsupport on 3/29/2018, 3:48 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 3/29/2018, 4:02 AM

I have seen that the GPU acceleration does not work with my machine if I use the R9 390X. The reason seems to be that I have two GPUs in my machine - the other one is a Quadro K4200. If I select the K4200 for GPU acceleration, then it works here.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

balazer wrote on 3/29/2018, 4:07 AM

How much speedup do you see in the VEGAS LUT Filter with GPU acceleration enabled?

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/2/2018, 12:51 PM

Took me some time to come back to that, since I wanted to run some comparision and tests.

I use a v-log UHD 25p 10bit file from my EVA1 (both Long-GOP but also All-I as the new Firmware was released today). Project Settings for editing are 8bit only. There is the Vegas LUT plugin on the file, with the Pansonic original LUT (v-log to rec709) only.

If I use in the GPU acceleration selection the R9 390X (that does not work on my system) I have something of 2 fps only. CPU utilization is about 70-80%, GPU usage is about 3 or 4% only.

If I select the nvidia Quadro K4200 I am backt to full 25 fps (preview best/full). GPU usage on my 8core System is abot 40%, and so is CPU utilization.

Comparision was done with best/full.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

balazer wrote on 4/2/2018, 4:26 PM

Ok, thanks for testing. I did more tests and now I'm seeing a significant speedup from the new GPU accelerated version of the VEGAS LUT Filter. I'm not sure why I couldn't get any speedup before.

The speedup depends on the preview resolution and on the combination of filters. I got a 12x speedup of the preview playback frame rate using a combination of filters that are all GPU accelerated, and a 6x speed up with a combination of filters that weren't all GPU accelerated.

GPU acceleration seems to make Vegas much less stable. I had several crashes during my testing.

By the way, the VEGAS LUT Filter from Vegas Pro 15 build 321 can be used in earlier versions of Vegas Pro, and the GPU acceleration works. Just copy "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 15.0\OFX Video Plug-Ins\Vfx1.ofx.bundle" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Vfx1.ofx.bundle".

NickHope wrote on 4/3/2018, 1:06 AM
By the way, the VEGAS LUT Filter from Vegas Pro 15 build 321 can be used in earlier versions of Vegas Pro, and the GPU acceleration works. Just copy "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 15.0\OFX Video Plug-Ins\Vfx1.ofx.bundle" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Vfx1.ofx.bundle".

Thanks for the tip! Got it working in VP13 & 14. No go in VP12. Means I can probably ditch the Vision Color LUT plugin.

Former user wrote on 4/3/2018, 4:00 AM

If I use in the GPU acceleration selection the R9 390X (that does not work on my system) I have something of 2 fps only. CPU utilization is about 70-80%, GPU usage is about 3 or 4% only.

If I select the nvidia Quadro K4200 I am backt to full 25 fps (preview best/full). GPU usage on my 8core System is abot 40%, and so is CPU utilization.

Comparision was done with best/full.

Do you know or did you check if that 70-80% CPU & also it's efficiency (speed) of processing was about right for not using a GPU or would you say that cpu use is absolutely ridiculous and higher than not having a gpu?

That is one of the biggest problems i have with vegas15. If it won't use the GPU (when it should) the amount of cpu it uses is much too high to make any sense and the fps encoding is also much too slow. If you confirm that fault then it's something Vegas have to fix. The software should be able to detect something has gone wrong at minimum.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/3/2018, 5:21 AM

Do you know or did you check if that 70-80% CPU & also it's efficiency (speed) of processing was about right for not using a GPU or would you say that cpu use is absolutely ridiculous and higher than not having a gpu?

The comparison shows quite well that the utilization of the GPU reduces the CPU utilization (in that example from 70-80% down to 40%). So without the GPU Support the CPU utizilation is much higher, but even with a higher CPU utilization the result is not appropriate really - or how would you edit the footage with something about 2 fps only?

What can work for many effects it to reduce the preview quality - because here I have used best/full. But that will not be a solution for every Setting.

Former user wrote on 4/3/2018, 6:22 AM

The question I ask is if 80% CPU on a system without GPU doing that render witgh 2fps is normal & to be expected or is that actually symptomatic of a fault. Are you able to go back & turn off all gpu's , using just CPU and see if that poor performance is what is expected for a non GPU system?

thankyou

Kinvermark wrote on 4/3/2018, 11:26 PM

Currently testing Vegas 15 before deciding whether or not to upgrade.... LUT filter seems to work pretty well. Much faster than the old Visioncolor plugin, which was unusable IMHO. In fact, if I export a LUT from FilmConvert, and playback through the LUT filter, it is much much faster than FilmConvert itself. Just FYI.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/4/2018, 8:51 AM

Currently testing Vegas 15 before deciding whether or not to upgrade.... LUT filter seems to work pretty well. Much faster than the old Visioncolor plugin, which was unusable IMHO. In fact, if I export a LUT from FilmConvert, and playback through the LUT filter, it is much much faster than FilmConvert itself. Just FYI.

Using what GPU? FilmConvert has a great GPU Support, at least to my experience.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/4/2018, 9:03 AM

The question I ask is if 80% CPU on a system without GPU doing that render witgh 2fps is normal & to be expected or is that actually symptomatic of a fault. Are you able to go back & turn off all gpu's , using just CPU and see if that poor performance is what is expected for a non GPU system?

thankyou

The workpoint with 80% CPU is where the System does not use the GPU acceleration really - so it is CPU only manly (GPU usage at 3-4% is no GPU acceleration at all).

Even one UHD stream with a LUT applied requires a lot of Performance, and if one wishes to edit UHD log footage with LUTs then the system should have enough performance. And here it means that a GPU seems to be necessary.

If you wish to run such a combination without a GPU - well, I am not sure if that works with any other NLE. Try that with Resolve, or Edius or the Catalyst. All will require a GPU as far as I know (especially Resolve).

So I am not sure what your point is.

BruceUSA wrote on 4/4/2018, 10:01 AM

Vegas built in LUT are much faster then Vision LUT. I can apply 4 LUT on GH5 10 bit footage UHD on the timeline and it play back best/full CPU only. CPU usage is 15% for 4 LUT applied. 1-2 LUT applied CPU usuage is 12-13%.. Vision LUT, I can not even get 1 LUT play back at best/full. Vegas LUT is a clear winner here. Computer is AMD 1950X at 4.0GHZ.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Kinvermark wrote on 4/4/2018, 10:08 AM

Using what GPU? FilmConvert has a great GPU Support, at least to my experience.

My GPU is an old AMD 290. Very good question though, because you reminded me that I did have an issue with FILMCONVERT GPU support last year, and now that I look at it again closely I don't think it is using the GPU on my system. Luckily the LUT filter does :)

Vell wrote on 4/10/2018, 7:44 PM

Why when I add a lut to the "Lut Filter" any luts, it does not display? Every other plug in works included 3D plugins. What should I do ?

Kinvermark wrote on 4/10/2018, 8:32 PM

What do you mean "it does not display?" Here, I browse for a LUT file (e.g. GH5_cinelikeD_Fj100.cube) and the effects appear immediately.

Vell wrote on 4/10/2018, 8:50 PM

As in the effect does not show at all , as if I didn't apply the effect at all but if I add brightness and contrast if shows the effect immediately.

Kinvermark wrote on 4/10/2018, 8:57 PM

Well, unless you have the strength slider set to zero or the LUT you chose doesn't actually do anything? ... share some more info / screen shot?