VEGAS Pro 15.0 — Unable to Install

Perplex404 wrote on 4/30/2021, 7:33 PM

I'm running into an issue where I cannot reinstall Vegas Pro 15. I am having to reinstall it because my hard drive that it was installed on died and became unreadable. However, whenever I try to install it I get this issue:

"Update to VEGAS PRO 15.0? An earlier version of this product was detected. Do you wish to update to VEGAS Pro 15.0 software now?"

Followed by an error that says:

"ERROR: -2147163964 occurred during installation

The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: F:\Vegas Pro 15. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator."

What would be the best next steps to take if I do not have access to what the drive points to if I would like to reinstall the program?

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 4/30/2021, 8:56 PM

From the Vegas Help Centre re error 24:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/support/article/how-to-solve-error-code-24--2/

After an HDD failure and reinstall on the new HDD, it's usually just a case of going to My Products on your MAGIX My Account and de-activating any existing activations; then going to the new install and activation should then proceed normally.

Please be aware that there is no such product as Sony Vegas Pro 15. Please see https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/sony-vegas-vs-vegas--119881/

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Perplex404 wrote on 4/30/2021, 9:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at my issue.

I'm still having an issue after de-activating existing activations. Are there other fixes available?

I apologize, I was unaware about that and can modify the post accordingly now.

andyrpsmith wrote on 5/1/2021, 3:42 AM

You should install Vegas (main program) on the same drive as your operating system.

(Intel 3rd gen i5@4.1GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, 1080Ti GPU, Windows 10) Not now used with Vegas.

13th gen i913900K - water cooled, 96GB RAM, 4TB M2 drive, 4TB games SSD, 2TB video SSD, GPU RTX 4080 Super, Windows 11 pro

Perplex404 wrote on 5/1/2021, 7:01 PM

You should install Vegas (main program) on the same drive as your operating system.

I'm attempting to do that, however my PC still detects that the program is "installed" on my dead hard drive that is no longer attached. I'm not allowed any further after this message to change the download directory:

"Update to VEGAS PRO 15.0? An earlier version of this product was detected. Do you wish to update to VEGAS Pro 15.0 software now?"

Dexcon wrote on 5/1/2021, 8:21 PM

... my PC still detects that the program is "installed" on my dead hard drive that is no longer attached.

What could likely be happening is that even though VP15 was previously installed on a now dead HDD, there will still be remnants of that install in the registry on the C:\ drive, and this could well include elements of the previous registration which is causing the 'already installed' alert.

The following link provides information about how to go about fully removing all remnants of Vegas Pro manually from your computer including the registry: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-do-a-clean-uninstall-of-vegas-pro--111205/

***** Please take special note of the warnings in bold about the risks of editing the registry *****

If you have a registry cleaner like CCleaner, it might be worthwhile trying that first before doing a manual registry clean.

It is surprising that de-activation on Your Account wasn't successful, but perhaps the previous install not being on the C:\ OS drive has somehow confused the activation system.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

rstrong wrote on 5/3/2021, 11:59 AM

If it says an earlier version was installed, that means that same failed HDD in still in your system and is not dead. Remove that bad HDD from your computer. Your new HDD would require a fresh install of your OS, and would allow you to install anything on it. There is no way you would receive that notification with a fresh install of your OS. Activation comes later.

Last changed by rstrong on 5/3/2021, 12:03 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

Perplex404 wrote on 5/3/2021, 4:11 PM

... my PC still detects that the program is "installed" on my dead hard drive that is no longer attached.

What could likely be happening is that even though VP15 was previously installed on a now dead HDD, there will still be remnants of that install in the registry on the C:\ drive, and this could well include elements of the previous registration which is causing the 'already installed' alert.

The following link provides information about how to go about fully removing all remnants of Vegas Pro manually from your computer including the registry: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-do-a-clean-uninstall-of-vegas-pro--111205/

***** Please take special note of the warnings in bold about the risks of editing the registry *****

If you have a registry cleaner like CCleaner, it might be worthwhile trying that first before doing a manual registry clean.

It is surprising that de-activation on Your Account wasn't successful, but perhaps the previous install not being on the C:\ OS drive has somehow confused the activation system.

I followed this guide and it still didn't work unfortunately, are there other options available?

Perplex404 wrote on 5/3/2021, 4:12 PM

If it says an earlier version was installed, that means that same failed HDD in still in your system and is not dead. Remove that bad HDD from your computer. Your new HDD would require a fresh install of your OS, and would allow you to install anything on it. There is no way you would receive that notification with a fresh install of your OS. Activation comes later.

I'm attempting to do that, however my PC still detects that the program is "installed" on my dead hard drive that is no longer attached. I'm not allowed any further after this message to change the download directory:

That HDD is no longer connected.