VEGAS Pro 20 and Issue With Titles & Text

-MH- wrote on 5/1/2024, 8:12 AM

Hi guys,

I’m here, once again, with, unfortunately another problem. As some of you guys might know on here, I’ve been going about creating a new YouTube intro for my Tech Wired Geek YouTube channel and have had some issues along the way that some kind people on here have gone out of their way to help me resolve (and I’m grateful for their help). However, as the title of this thread indicates, I now have another problem, and that problem is with the VEGAS Pro built-in text plugin that is aptly named ‘Titles & Text.

The issue I’m having is that a particular font that I need to use, called - Digital-Medium - is not displaying correctly on the VEGAS Pro 20 preview window nor on the timeline, yet it is displaying correctly in the actual text box of the Title & Text plugin. When I say correctly, I mean the actual font itself, it’s appearance.

To check whether this was just a problem with the Titles & Text plugin itself or VEGAS Pro 20 as a whole, I used the ‘Credit Roll’ text plugin to see if the - Digital-Medium - font displayed correctly on the VEGAS Pro 20 preview window with this particular text plugin and, sure enough, it did.

With the ‘Credit Roll’ text plugin the - Digital-Medium - font’s appearance displayed correctly on the preview window, on the timeline, and in the ‘Credit Roll’ text plugin, but it will not display correctly on the preview window nor the timeline with Titles & Text. I don’t understand why this is the case. It’s certainly odd behaviour.

To be honest, this is the first time, in a while, that I have actually used any text plugin inside VEGAS Pro in general because I usually just export every part of my Tech Wired Geek YouTube channel as a PNG out of Microsoft PowerPoint and import them into VEGAS Pro as an image. However, I thought I would try using the Titles & Text plugin inside VEGAS Pro 20 but, unfortuntely, ran into this problem.

Also, another thing related to the Titles & Text plugin, is that I’ve noticed it’s quite sluggish when trying to use it. I don’t understand why is would be, especially with my new PC (see my sig for PC specs and VEGAS Pro 20 build number).

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give re either problem!

MH7

Last changed by -MH-

John 14:6 | Romans 10:9-10, 13, 10:17 | Ephesians 2:8-9
————————————————————————————————————

Changed my username from MH7 to just MH.

Aussie VEGAS Post 20 User As Of 9th February 2023 — Build 411 (Upgraded from VEGAS Pro 18)

VEGAS Pro Help: VEGAS Pro FAQs and TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDES

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TechWiredGeek

Video Cameras: Sony FDR-AX700 and iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 17)

============================================

My New Productivity Workstation/Gaming PC 2024

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D

Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend (AM5)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

Main SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD
Storage SSD: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB SSD

GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT (16 GB)

Main Monitor: LG 27UD88-W 4K IPS

Secondary Monitor: LG 27UL850 4K HDR IPS

Comments

RogerS wrote on 5/1/2024, 8:14 AM

Titles and Text has limitations with the fonts it can use. Does enabling ProType or legacy text in deprecated features help?

Really VEGAS needs a new titler but there are more pressing issues at the moment.

I agree it gets very sluggish and that has little to do with computer speed.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

-MH- wrote on 5/1/2024, 8:24 AM

Titles and Text has limitations with the fonts it can use. Does enabling ProType or legacy text in deprecated features help?

Hi Roger. I didn’t think to do that. I may try and look at doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. I do seem to have a NewBlue Titler Pro 7 text plugin but that didn’t seem to be working correctly either, as in, it didn’t give me any text box to type text in.

Really VEGAS needs a new titler but there are more pressing issues at the moment.

Well, to be honest, it probably does, or just needs to be greatly improved upon.

Ah okay. So it’s just sluggish and that’s that? That’s good to know.

Aussie VEGAS Post 20 User As Of 9th February 2023 — Build 411 (Upgraded from VEGAS Pro 18)

Former user wrote on 5/1/2024, 9:14 AM

Someone posted about changing the glow colour of one of the Titles & Text presets, 'You need to edit in ProType Titler' was the answer but that's another conversation,. Anyway I've never really looked into ProType as I have Boris's Title Studio & TP7, but after that post I've been playing with ProType & really like it, individually different coloured characters, a path tool, Toggle cascade...., I need to go through & see what fonts do or don't work compared to Vegas's Title & Text.

My only gripe is the UI, I've always had perfect vision but as I'm getting older it's gone from 20/20 to 20/19, I can see for miles, I can read the screen no problem, ProType's text is just too small tho, I've got glasses that I only wear for reading the tiniest of writing & have to put them on for this. If they could fix the UI it'd be so much better, just make the controls a bit bigger or maybe make it so it can be opened to full screen so gets clearer with the bigger font.

This is it on my screen & full screen the control font is still tiny.

-MH- wrote on 5/2/2024, 3:06 AM

Someone posted about changing the glow colour of one of the Titles & Text presets, 'You need to edit in ProType Titler' was the answer but that's another conversation,.

Hmm...that then begs the question, is Titles & Text supposed to be the successor to ProType Titler? This question doesn't have to be answered, but I'm just wondering that if you truly would have use ProType to edit the glow colour of one of the Titles & Text preset, it does make you wonder if they are somehow connected. And, if that's the case, perhaps the VEGAS team should look into disconnecting them and making a standalone text plugin.

Thinking of this though, Titles & Text just seem to be as sluggish and slow as ProType.Titler, if I remember correctly. Speaking of ProType Titler, though, why did it become a depreciated feature?

Anyway I've never really looked into ProType as I have Boris's Title Studio & TP7, but after that post I've been playing with ProType & really like it, individually different coloured characters, a path tool, Toggle cascade....,

Yeah, from previous versions of VEGAS Pro I do remember that it was pretty feature rich in what you could do with it.

I need to go through & see what fonts do or don't work compared to Vegas's Title & Text.

That would be greatly appreciated if you did do that. So, thanks in advance if you do!

My only gripe is the UI, I've always had perfect vision but as I'm getting older it's gone from 20/20 to 20/19, I can see for miles, I can read the screen no problem, ProType's text is just too small tho, I've got glasses that I only wear for reading the tiniest of writing & have to put them on for this. If they could fix the UI it'd be so much better, just make the controls a bit bigger or maybe make it so it can be opened to full screen so gets clearer with the bigger font.

This is it on my screen & full screen the control font is still tiny.

Hmm...I guess it was created back in the day when people had lower resolution monitors. These days, it seems that 4K monitors are more common now and people usually use Windows upscaling to make screen elements bigger. For example, I have two 4K 27" monitors that Windows recommends I scale to 150%, so I have both of my displays scaled to that and most programs these days scale correctly, but obviously not ProType Titler, due to reasons previously mentioned.

-MH- wrote on 5/2/2024, 3:15 AM

Regarding my problem, I found a font called - Digital - that I like (and already had) that looks to fit the theme of my YouTube channel and Titles & Text support it without any issues. But it does mean that I have had to go back and edit and update my YouTube graphics with this - Digital - font. But I do appreciate everyone's help. Given that I would like to use the Titles & Text plugin, a change in font was needed and I actually really like the appearance of the - Digital - font.

Last changed by -MH- on 5/2/2024, 3:16 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Former user wrote on 5/2/2024, 3:50 AM

Hmm...I guess it was created back in the day when people had lower resolution monitors. These days, it seems that 4K monitors are more common now and people usually use Windows upscaling to make screen elements bigger. For example, I have two 4K 27" monitors that Windows recommends I scale to 150%, so I have both of my displays scaled to that and most programs these days scale correctly, but obviously not ProType Titler, due to reasons previously mentioned.

@-MH- Yeah prob so, I do have two monitors, the pictures above are on my UHD 32" one, the other is a 24" monitor that is set to 100% but the control font is still the same size or at the very least too small. I too wonder why it became deprecated, it'd be nice to update it.

This is my 24" screen,

I have a lot of fonts but one day I'll go through them & compare to see what does & doesn't work.

-MH- wrote on 5/14/2024, 4:37 AM

Thanks to everyone who’s been trying to help me with this problem. Nevertheless, I have an update of how I was able get around my problem. Because I have VEGAS Post, I was able to use VEGAS Image to create the “Tech” and the “Geek” text parts of my logo as VEGAS Image seems to support the - Digital-Medium - font I initially wanted to use, which was quite helpful.

Gid wrote on 5/14/2024, 6:12 AM

@-MH- Hi, (I'm Former user in the previous comments)

I'm curious about this, I don't have Digital-Medium in my list of fonts, so would you share that font file so I can try it out,

If you don't know - open Windows settings, type in 'fonts', the list of fonts on your PC will appear, find your Digital-Medium font & click on it, a window will appear show the font files location, find that file, Copy & Paste that Digital-Medium OTF/TTF into a new folder & share that folder on Google Drive or whatever file sharing site you prefer 👍

Vegas Pro 21
Vegas Pro/Post 19
Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

-MH- wrote on 5/14/2024, 7:24 AM

@Gid | Hi mate. I realise just now that I should’ve added “I then was able to import the text files that I created in VEGAS Image into VEGAS Pro.”

I don’t why VEGAS Image supported the font and VEGAS Pro’s Titles & Text does not.

As to the answer to your question, I’m not currently at my desktop computer (specs in sig) right now so I’m unable to do that. However, I can do that tomorrow. If you don’t want to wait, I do get a lot of my fonts off a font site - dafont.com - so it may be on there. If it’s not on that site, I actually don’t remember where I got it from, to be honest. However, if you can wait till tomorrow (AEST) I should be able share the font.

Last changed by -MH- on 5/14/2024, 7:25 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Dexcon wrote on 5/14/2024, 7:54 AM

I don’t why VEGAS Image supported the font and VEGAS Pro’s Titles & Text does not.

VEGAS Image is a way more recent product than Titles & Text, the former being based on FXHome's Imerge image editor whereas Titles & Text is a decade (+) old titler that probably hasn't been updated in yonks.

In my experience, NewBlueFX's TitlePro is very tolerant of the two main title formats (TTF and OTF) so if TP7 doesn't support it, that is interesting. With the Digital-Medium font that you have, what is the font format that has been downloaded?

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

jetdv wrote on 5/14/2024, 7:58 AM

Hi Roger. I didn’t think to do that. I may try and look at doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. I do seem to have a NewBlue Titler Pro 7 text plugin but that didn’t seem to be working correctly either, as in, it didn’t give me any text box to type text in.

It depends on what "Titler Pro 7" you have. For example, if you installed "Live 2 Post" at some point, Titler Pro 7 will be listed but it's and extremely stripped down version that will allow importing titles from VEGAS Stream but will not allow editing or creating new titles. It sounds like you have a version that does not allow editing.

Gid wrote on 5/14/2024, 8:18 AM

@-MH- No worries, like I say I'm curious, I'll try it on my titler plugins, Boris title studio, NB Titler Pro 7, & I use GIMP not V Image so we'll see what it looks like on there.

I have dafont bookmarked, but there's loads of digital fonts, I wonder if yours is one of a group, ie Digital - Bold, Digital - Thin, Digital - Small etc.

So yes if you can share your font that would be good, no rush & at least we can see if it's the same 'not displaying correctly',

I do know from past tests that some fonts just don't work in Titles & Text as @RogerS implied, whether they are converted from OTF to TTF or vice versa, as far as I know there's no solution to this until Vegas updates Titles & Text.

As for sluggishness -

Credit Roll stutters a bit on a UHD (3840x2160) project with an MP4 HEVC constant fr UHD clip , playback speed goes from the full 29.97fps down to about 22.00fps when the credit roll comes in,

Changing the project to FHD (1920x1080) using the same MP4 HEVC constant fr UHD clip didn't help, playback speed again dropped to 22.00fps-ish,

Back to a UHD project & Replacing the MP4 media with a converted to ProRes version of the same media didn't help either 🤦‍♂️😂

Building Dynamic Ram made it play at full fps, I'm used to having to do this & have plenty of RAM to play with, I think it would be good if Vegas could introduce some kind of Auto prerender/Dynamic RAM, I had Adobe AE & however fantastic some people say it is it still won't play at full fps until it has done it's prerender, which it does automatically & if your cursor is somewhere along the timeline it will auto prerender backwards & forwards at the same time.

Vegas Pro 21
Vegas Pro/Post 19
Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

RedRob-CandlelightProdctns wrote on 5/15/2024, 5:18 PM

Yip. I still run into this.. been this way since Titles & Text came out. I turn to the Legacy Tilter when that happens.. a nuisance but at least they haven't pulled it from the product build so we have it when the newer one doesn't work with our fonts!

Vegas 21.300

My PC (for finishing):

Cyperpower PC Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2GHz, 64GB mem @ 2133MHz RAM, AMD Radeon RX470 (4GB dedicated) with driver recommended by Vegas Updater (reports as 30.0.15021.11005 dated 4/28/22), and Intel HD Graphics 630 driver version 31.0.101.2112 dated 7/21/22 w/16GB shared memory. Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 10.0.19045 Build 19045.

My main editing laptop:

Dell G15 Special Edition 5521, Bios 1.12 9/13/22, Windows 11 22H2 (10.0.22621)

12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700H (14 cores, 20 logical processors), 32 GB DDR5 4800MHz RAM, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU w/8GB GDDR6 RAM, Realtek Audio

-MH- wrote on 5/16/2024, 6:29 AM

@Gid | Hi mate. Not to ignore your post. But just to apologise for not sharing the font yet. I got on my computer rather late and sharing that font completely slipped from my mind. I know you said no rush. I’ll try and share it when I can.