This post and the posts it links to are generated by VEGAS users and do not represent the official policies of MAGIX.
1. Where can I buy VEGAS Pro?
You can buy VEGAS Pro and related software online from vegascreativesoftware.com. It is also available on the Steam platform and from 3rd-party retailers. Check this thread for current offers.
2. How can I upgrade my version of VEGAS Pro?
You can upgrade VEGAS Pro and other VEGAS Movie Studio here.
3. Where can I download VEGAS Pro and other VEGAS software?
Where to download VEGAS Pro, as well as old versions of Sony Vegas Pro and other programs from VEGAS Creative Software.
4. Where can I get help & support for VEGAS Pro?
How to get help & support and how to properly submit crash reports.
5. Where can I find tutorials for VEGAS Pro?
Learn how to use VEGAS Pro with this list of resources.
6. Where can I find the VEGAS Pro revision history (changelog)?
An official full revision history of VEGAS Pro is no longer maintained online or in the software, but a user-generated revision history is available here. A VEGAS Effects revision history is here. A VEGAS Image revision history is here. Update history for various VEGAS programs is also available at Movie Studio Zen.
7. Why can't I install VEGAS Pro?
If you are having problems installing VEGAS Pro, see this post.
8. VEGAS Pro won't start. What can I do?
If VEGAS Pro hangs or crashes during start-up, see this post.
9. How many computers can I use VEGAS Pro on?
You can use VEGAS Pro (14.0 and later) simultaneously on 2 devices. VEGAS Pro 365 can be used on 1 device at a time.
To deactivate a device, so you can activate a different one, visit your MAGIX account > My Products > Show More Details > Deactivate. This option can be used only once a month.
In VEGAS Pro 14.0 or later, you can also choose Deactivate the Software on this PC from the Help menu This option can be used as often as you wish. An internet connection is required.
Older versions of Vegas Pro than 14.0 are licensed under a system (as previously used by Sony) which permits use on multiple computers by one user; after an unspecified number of installations on different or updated PCs you may need to contact support to reset your "installation count".
10. Can I activate VEGAS Pro offline?
VEGAS Pro 13.0 and earlier can be activated offline. VEGAS Pro (14.0 and later) cannot be activated offline. The following codecs require online additional activation the first time they are used in each version. Therefore if you connect your PC to the internet especially to activate VEGAS, it is recommended to also make short renders in these formats before disconnecting, if you anticipate using them:
- Intel HEVC/MAGIX ProRes
- Magix AVC/AAC MP4
- MainConcept MPEG-2
- MP3 Audio
- AAC Audio
- Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio
- Sony XAVC-L/XAVC Intra MXF
11. Does my PC need to be online after initial activation?
It is necessary to be online to activate each new upgrade (version) and update (build). It is also necessary to be online to activate the codecs listed above, the first time you use them after each upgrade. VEGAS will also attempt to "phone home" every 2 weeks to ensure it is properly registered, but should not stop functioning if a connection cannot be made. Full explanation here.
12. Can I run VEGAS Pro on an Apple Mac?
There is no native version for Mac but you can run VEGAS Pro in a virtual machine or via Bootcamp. More details in this post.
13. Can I run more than 1 version of VEGAS Pro?
Yes, you can run multiple versions (e.g. 12.0, 13.0, 14.0, 15.0) and in normal circumstances they will not interfere with each other. However, do not mix Steam and non-Steam editions of the same version.
14. How can I reset VEGAS Pro to default settings?
Follow the steps in this post.
15. How can I stop VEGAS Pro crashing?
If VEGAS Pro is crashing or behaving strangely, troubleshoot stability with this post.
16. How can I stop VEGAS Pro hanging or crashing during rendering or editing?
If VEGAS Pro hangs during rendering or editing, troubleshoot with this post.
17. How to post MediaInfo and VEGAS Pro File Properties
Help us to help you by posting detailed information about your media.
18. Graphics Cards & GPU-Acceleration for VEGAS Pro
Advice on what graphics card to get and how to use it.
19. Why won't VEGAS open my file correctly?
Information on formats, codecs, converters etc. to get your media to open correctly.
20. How to convert .mov video (e.g. iPhone) to .mp4 for VEGAS Pro
Re-wrap MOV footage from iPads, iPhones etc. with FFmpeg so they play nicer in VEGAS Pro.
21. Why does my rendered video look bad?
Basic steps for troubleshooting the quality of your rendered video.
22. How can I make my video preview play smoothly in VEGAS Pro?
How to achieve fluent playback of your timeline.
23. How can I improve the quality of my AVC (H.264) renders?
Tips for encoding better quality video for web upload or local playback.
24. Why does my video play back with more contrast than the VEGAS preview?
Advice for dealing with colorspace and levels issues.
25. How to Disable Resample
How to disable resampling in different versions of VEGAS Pro and why.
26. How can I bypass the MAGIX ProRes decoder (and why)?
Let Quicktime read ProRes files instead of the VEGAS native decoder to overcome ProRes audio issues etc..
27. Why doesn't my display adapter appear when "Windows Graphics Card" is selected in the Preview Device preferences?
Try installing .NET Framework 4.6.2, especially on Windows 7 (example case 1, case 2, case 3).
28. Why is my video track split between "A" & "B" tracks?
If a red square bracket appears at the end of one of your video events then you are in Expanded Edit Mode. To exit expanded edit mode, do one of the following:
- Choose "Edit" > "Select" > "Exit Expanded Edit Mode"
- Press 5 on the numeric keypad
- Double-click the event edge
- Press Esc on your keyboard
If no red square bracket appears then your track layers are simply expanded. To "unexpand" them, right click on the track header (the area to the left of the track) > uncheck "Expand Track Layers".
29. Where can I download the Sony Vegas Pro 11 "red car" benchmark project?
The project and media can be downloaded here. It is useful for comparing system performance.
30. Why is AVC/XAVC-S performance worse in VEGAS Pro 15 than earlier versions?
If AVC or XAVC-S files are causing your projects to preview slowly, or corrupt the audio, try disabling the new AVC reader, so4compoungplug.dll.
31. How can I enable the Dolby AC-3 Pro encoder from VEGAS Pro 13 in later versions?
The Dolby AC-3 Pro encoder was removed in VEGAS Pro 14. If you have VEGAS Pro 13 and DVD Architect installed, you can enable the encoder in VEGAS Pro 14, 15 and 16 (but not later versions) using this workaround.
32. Where can I find a list of known issues in VEGAS Pro?
There are lists of unofficial and official known issues in the latest version of VEGAS Pro in this post.
33. How can I enable Intel Quick Sync Video as an option as well as my NVIDIA or AMD graphics card?
If your CPU has integrated Intel HD graphics, but it is not available as an option for GPU acceleration of video processing, or Intel QSV is not available as an Encode mode option in any rendering settings (e.g. MAGIX AVC/AAC), see this comment and the article it links to, and this comment and the one below it.
34. Where can I find the VEGAS Pro EULA?
35. Where can I post videos I edited with VEGAS Pro?
36. What OBS Studio settings work well with VEGAS Pro?
OBS Studio makes screen recordings that play well in VEGAS Pro, but the settings must be right. See this post for advice.
37. Why does my video effect (FX) not work in VEGAS Pro?
If you apply a video effect (FX) in VEGAS Pro, and do not see any change in the Video Preview window, or do not see a change until the FX controls window is dismissed, see this post.
38. How can I do a clean uninstall of VEGAS Pro?
If you wish to uninstall VEGAS Pro and remove all traces of it, see this post.
39. How can I register a trial version of VEGAS Pro?
To find trial versions of VEGAS Pro, see this post. When you first run VEGAS Pro after installing, click "Start trial version", then click "Register now". A page in your default browser should open where you will be prompted to make a MAGIX account, if you do not already have one. If that page does not open, check your default browser setting, or try launching your browser before clicking "Register now". A trial registration code should be emailed to the address you provide. Check your spam folder if you do not receive it. If you still don't receive it, try clicking "Register now" again to repeat the process. When you receive the code, enter it on the VEGAS Pro welcome screen then click "Test program". Your trial is valid for 30 days. If you later decide to purchase it, you can activate it fully without reinstalling.
40. How can I install and activate Boris Continuum plugins?
41. Where can I download instruction manuals for VEGAS Pro?
See this post to find links to download VEGAS Pro instruction manuals in PDF format. The information should be nearly identical to the help in the software.