Comments

Xander wrote on 1/14/2010, 8:24 AM
I am looking at some Open Source software called ResourceSpace. Not familiar enough with it yet to comment about it, but it looks like it will fit my needs.
Jøran Toresen wrote on 1/14/2010, 10:51 AM
Maybe TMPGEnc Karma Plus is what you need:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmkp.html

I haven’t tested it myself, but you can download a free trial.

Jøran Toresen
logiquem wrote on 1/14/2010, 1:37 PM
Thanks Joran. Sadly, it doesn't even start on any of the 3 computers on wich i tried it...
jabloomf1230 wrote on 1/14/2010, 6:22 PM
Karma is a slow,buggy knock off of Adobe Bridge. I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Sony Media Manager. It's never been very helpful for me, but it does come free with Vegas.
rmack350 wrote on 1/14/2010, 11:10 PM
MM doesn't run separately from Vegas, I think, so that's not an option.

Rob Mack
rmack350 wrote on 1/14/2010, 11:21 PM
I just poked around at the ResourceSpace site and the one thing they're not saying is where the assets in the database are coming from. It looks like a tool to search their assets, not to catalog your own.

Rob
logiquem wrote on 1/15/2010, 5:18 AM
I think ResourceSpace is a corporate tool, well beyond what i need.

I already have Smart Pix manager for images (wich i like). But it dosen't allow tagging specific cuts with timecode/keywords.

Maybe i should go back to Macromedia Director and do something?... :-)

Bastien

Jøran Toresen wrote on 1/15/2010, 5:51 AM
Take a look at Microsoft Expression Media 2. I use it for pictures, but you can also catalogue other media files (video). And you can create several data bases, one for pictures , one for video files and so on.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/expressionmedia2/default.aspx

Jøran Toresen
TeetimeNC wrote on 1/15/2010, 6:40 AM
Does Microsoft Expresson allow you to index individual scenes in a clip, which I think was a requirement in the OP?

I think SCS has missed an opportunity with Media Manager - with some refinement it could compete nicely as a standalone against Expression and similar digital asset management tools.

Jerry
UlfLaursen wrote on 1/15/2010, 10:27 AM
Sadly, it doesn't even start on any of the 3 computers on wich i tried it...]

Bastien,

Have you looked here?

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmkp_qa.html#doesnt_start

/Ulf
logiquem wrote on 1/15/2010, 12:56 PM
My three computers are up to date and *should* work with Karma. It looks like a truly buggy software.

>Does Microsoft Expresson allow you to index individual scenes in a clip, which I think was a requirement in the OP?

You're right. That's the main problem with Microsoft Expression (and with every image DB soft i tried to this date). It also lack some storyboarding tool, wich would be icing on the cake...

Otherwise, it looks no nonsense and professionnal...

My requirements ar not so complicated :

Standalone Video file cataloguing utility with :
-basic database features
-intergrated basic video player
-Clip (sequences) identification with keyword search and direct access
-storyboard tool

Btw, Premiere elements 8 seems to have some cataloguing capabilities. I will try and let you know.

Thanks again all for your suggestions and help. Very appreciated.

rmack350 wrote on 1/15/2010, 4:47 PM
It seemed that PPro had some sort of tool that would make use of Acrobat (of all things!) to let clients mark up and review footage. That kind of sounds like a feature you're looking for. A way to review long clips and mark regions in them, and then to search for the regions later on.

Rob
ushere wrote on 1/15/2010, 5:43 PM
what we really need is scenalyzer for hdv!

if you never used it -

http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html

absolutely brilliant.... but for sd only

rmack350 wrote on 1/15/2010, 8:40 PM
Yes, one of the functions we're talking about is pretty much a logging feature, or the sort of situation where you give footage to someone and have them mark selections or go through and catalog the shots.
rmack350 wrote on 1/15/2010, 11:46 PM
I haven't spent much time looking but CatDV seems to fit the description.
ushere wrote on 1/16/2010, 1:53 AM
still dv only though (from what i read?)
rmack350 wrote on 1/16/2010, 10:40 AM
Well no, actually. They were talking about all sorts of other formats for version 8, but the application is quicktime based. See http://www.squarebox.co.uk/matrix.html for starters.

I'm not saying this is the best application but it's an example of something that seems to do what Logiquem wants.

Rob
UlfLaursen wrote on 1/17/2010, 11:42 AM
hi

I just tried the Karma on my test PC and it worked so far great. I will not got super performance on this 3.0 GHz P4, but for test it is ok.

I like the feature where Karma creates several thumbnails for each clip and automaticly browse through them when you mouse over the clip.

/Ulf
David Settlemoir wrote on 1/17/2010, 3:10 PM
How about this?

Media Filer from Vortex Media.

David
UlfLaursen wrote on 1/17/2010, 8:49 PM
I got a few products from Vortex, they are really good, not tried this yet though.

/Ulf
logiquem wrote on 1/18/2010, 8:39 AM
I tried Premiere Element indexing features (just for the kick)... Probably the most slugish thing i installed on my computer since 5 years and no scene indexation...

I tried CatDV today. Very professionnal, convenient and fast. The thing i need... But no native support for wmv, mpeg2, avchd, etc. It is entirely based on QT. *Could* work with a Java plugin but i did'nt find how yet and the Windows file (other than avi) support looks rather buggy...

Back to your advices and Google...
logiquem wrote on 1/18/2010, 10:25 AM
Media Filer is a no nonsense app, but it dosen't have an integrated player with indexation capability. It's only a database software.
rmack350 wrote on 1/18/2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, the feature list for CatDV seemed like what you're looking for since it'll let you mark regions within a clip, do something like storyboards, export EDLs, etc. The file support probably fleshes out more as you install quicktime codecs but I'd like to see something similar that wasn't so tied to quicktime.

It's also a little pricey for an application that's not *quite* what you'd want, but I thought it was a good example.

Rob
logiquem wrote on 1/18/2010, 1:10 PM
The price is not exactly a problem here.

What i care for the most is absolute stability and compatibility with all PC's formats.

My client is a medical research organisation who need to catalog/index many hours of interviews for future utilisation. This operation will be done by the medical team.

The files formats goes from stock DV thru DVDs, delivery formats for PowerPoint in wmv, etc.