Warp Flow is amazing!

ScrapyardFilms wrote on 2/20/2020, 9:41 AM

I'm currently working on a work video where we're training people on a process. But weaved in and out of the footage and b-roll is an interview of the manager explaining what's going on. He is not used to talking to a camera and inevitably fumbles with his lines. Well the Warp Flow transition makes it look like he's almost perfect after fine tuning the position of the clips! It's seriously an awesome transition and so happy they have it in VP17.

Comments

Alan-Tutt wrote on 2/20/2020, 8:21 PM

I'd be interested in how you're fine-tuning the clips to make this work. 90% of the time, I see massive ghosting issues which make it unusable for me.

karma17 wrote on 2/21/2020, 2:49 AM

Yes, warp flow can create some really cool transitions. Agree totally.

lenard-p wrote on 2/21/2020, 4:12 AM

I'd be interested in how you're fine-tuning the clips to make this work. 90% of the time, I see massive ghosting issues which make it unusable for me.

Like Ian said, for tiny changes. I show closeup,medium,wide, Closeup-convincing, Medium ok, Wide - very distracting, too much change,ghosting,morphing. Possible to frame different for cut maybe

Dexcon wrote on 2/21/2020, 4:33 AM

@ScrapyardFilms … I've just watched your demo video of Warp Flow on YT, and I now have a good understanding of how it works. Thank you for the YT demo.

I suspect that when you say in the original post here that you fine-tune the position, you probably mean that you pan/crop adjust the position of the talking head so that the head position is reasonably similar in both video events at the point of transition.

ScrapyardFilms wrote on 2/21/2020, 8:37 AM

Like everyone else was saying. It's for merging brief shots for sure. Very long or shots with a lo of change don't usually work the intended way. And @Dexcon I appreciate you liking my videos!

For these scenes I was editing, the interviewed subject was sitting quite still and the only adjustments Warp Flow made was to his mouth movement and VERY slightly to his head movement. When I placed the transition on the clips, in a 24fps project, I only made the transition last 3-4 key frames and it looks perfect. On a 60fps project, I'd go 6-8 key frames, max.

I can't show the example I'm working on unfortunately because it's for my work and that'd be a no-no to upload it without consent. But I'm definitely happy with the results I'm getting.

VEGASDerek wrote on 2/21/2020, 3:34 PM

@ScrapyardFilms, you should consider using the Smart Split feature, which makes using Warp Flow in this manner even easier.