Comments

boomhower wrote on 1/31/2005, 6:52 PM
EVS (evsonline.com) has Sony DVM 60PR (no chip) for $3.49 each. Same price at B&H.

edit:

I wasn't familiar with meritline so I looked them up on resellerratings and they leave a lot to be desired in the positive shopping experience category......just an extra .02 free of charge.
kentwolf wrote on 1/31/2005, 7:03 PM
>>...I wasn't familiar with meritline so I looked them up on resellerratings and
>>they leave a lot to be desired...

I have ordered from Meritline on numerous occasions (DVD media, cases) and have never had a problem. I would gladly order from them again.

It could be a case of dis-satisfied customers doing the most posting.
boomhower wrote on 1/31/2005, 7:13 PM
Kent: You may be right. I just checked Bizrate and they have an average 8.5 out of 10. ?? Either way in this particular instance I think you can do much better than the prices they list for the DV tapes. Looks like they may have decent deals on DVD Media though.....

Rating sites like reseller and bizrate seem to generally be a pretty good indicator of what to expect. Don't think I've ever seen a difference in ratings like this though. 5 of 10 on one site and 8.5 of 10 on the other. They generally track pretty close.

_____

At least one forum member has recc protape in Austin TX. They have the same Sony tape for $2.97 when you reach the 50 tape level. Seems like a great price. Can't vouch for them....only read about them on the forum.
glk7243 wrote on 1/31/2005, 7:39 PM
I have been buying from zotzdigital.com for the last year. Prices are usually around $4.00 for panasonic and they will give you a discount when you buy a carton of 50 at a time. Minimal s&h charges. Ship fast and very nice to deal with.
Coursedesign wrote on 1/31/2005, 7:52 PM
Tapestockonline

$3.00 or less for Sony DVM60PR, and $7.45 or less for Sony EX tape (which has 2 dB stronger signal and a better tape mechanism).

I never had any trouble with this company, good service.
filmy wrote on 1/31/2005, 8:14 PM
I always use Tape Resources. Fast shipping. good prices and I love those free M&M's they like to toss in. LOL. My personal choice for all around mini-DV tapes is the Panasoninc AY-DVM63PQ tapes.
epirb wrote on 1/31/2005, 8:31 PM
anybody ever used "totalmediaonline" .com ? I got a mini catalog from them the other day but never used them before.
Jessariah67 wrote on 1/31/2005, 9:01 PM
To echo Coursedesign, TapeStockOnline is absolutely mint....
Grazie wrote on 1/31/2005, 9:33 PM
Pricebusters - Harrow, Middlesex, UK - Sony miniDV Premmies @ £1.75 . . . Grazie :)

Coursedesign wrote on 1/31/2005, 9:42 PM
Those Panny PQ tapes are very good, their MQ tapes even better (and less expensive than Sony tapes).

Just don't mix Panny and Sony tapes, you WILL get gunk on your heads due to chemically incompatible lubes. This is not an urban myth, and this problem never went away.
DavidMcKnight wrote on 1/31/2005, 10:28 PM
Tape Resources or Meritline, I've ordered from both several times.
teaktart wrote on 2/1/2005, 12:20 AM
COSTCO !
6 Pack of TDK $19.99 and dropping.
They have always worked for me since day one.

Teaktart
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/1/2005, 5:04 AM
"... I love those free M&M's they like to toss in."

Filmy, boy oh boy am I crushed! I thought she was enclosing those M&Ms because she had a thing for me!

Jay
filmy wrote on 2/1/2005, 6:23 AM
>>>Filmy, boy oh boy am I crushed! I thought she was enclosing those M&Ms because she had a thing for me!<<<

You mean Anna is two timing us? Aww man - that's it. I'm going to WalMart from now on! LOL!
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/1/2005, 6:33 AM
ROFLOL... I just placed another order yesterday. Man, it just ain't going to be the same knowing I'm not the only one! Just like a woman, huh? Those M&Ms will never be as sweet from now on.

Jay
PixelStuff wrote on 2/1/2005, 6:39 AM
I had read somewhere that the Panasonic MQ tapes had a dry lubricant while the PQ tapes had a liquid lubricant. Which might cause the same problem swtiching back and forth as the Sony to Panasonic problem. Has anyone else heard that?

And, I've used TapeResources.com many times with great service.

JBJones
Mandk wrote on 2/1/2005, 7:16 AM
I buy PANASONIC AY-DVM63PQ from www.thetapeguys.com for $4.10 each. Prompt shipping and usually in stock.

They also send along free popcorn.

johnmeyer wrote on 2/1/2005, 9:35 AM
Taperesources has great prices, wonderful people, and good services.

I, too, like the M&Ms.

Which reminds me: Why did the blonde get fired from the M&M factory?

She kept throwing out the W's.
John_Cline wrote on 2/1/2005, 10:01 AM
For what it's worth, I buy the majority of my tape fromTapeResources and all my optical media from Meritline. I have received superior service from both of them. (Sometimes I will buy the TDK six-pack from Costco.)

John
ken c wrote on 2/2/2005, 3:06 AM
Have bought dvd blanks from meritline twice, they shipped fast and did great for me.

Curious, what's the "memory chip" thing all about on DV tapes?

btw, I'm using a PV-GS120 3CCD camcorder, the salesguy said they tended to not work well w/sony tapes... I've been using JVC tape, works fine..

ken
Express wrote on 2/2/2005, 6:55 AM
I purchase DV tapes from Edgewisemedia

www.edgewisemedia.com

I have purchased from them several times. Panasonic DVC - $2.79/ea
(Sony, Maxell, TDK & others avail)

DVD cases for $0.25 - $0.54/ea

Their prices on optical, and other media are not competitive.

They sometimes have a free shipping promotion - when they do, I often stock up.

I did have a customer service issue once - which they handled nicely using their toll free number.

Chris
Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/2/2005, 7:50 AM
Ken, the "memory chip" on video tapes allow you to save the camera settings that were used to shoot that particular footage. To the best of my knowledge, Sony cameras are the only ones that have this capability (I could be wrong with the avent of newer cameras).

Jay
johnmeyer wrote on 2/2/2005, 7:59 AM
The memory chip is a total waste of money. It nearly doubles the price of the tape, and you get nothing particularly useful in return. In addition, AFIK, Vegas doesn't do anything with the titles you can store on the chip -- it is only useful during playback of the raw (unedited tape) in the camcorder.
craftech wrote on 2/2/2005, 8:41 AM
In terms of the MQ vs the PQ , it was probably one of my posts regarding the MQ dry lubricant vs the PQ wet lubricant. Don't mix them. Jan Crittendon from Panasonic told me that as well as the woman from Tape Resources.
I have not had any problems with service from Tape Resources, G&G Video, or any of them except for Neeman Media who has forgotten orders, sent the order to the wrong company, never returns a phone call when they say they will, and defies logic when it comes to how they stay business.

John