Windows 10 Anniversary ed'n broke my Media Manager

NickHope wrote on 8/21/2016, 1:40 AM
I spoke too soon in this thread.

A couple of weeks ago I updated to Windows 10 Anniversary edition (by manually doing "Check For Updates") and all has seemed well. However today I opened Media Manager with one of my large libraries and after checking a couple of tags to filter the search results, it crashed with the following error message:

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

After a bit more testing I ended up getting effectively locked out of V10, V12 and V13, as the Media Manager appears in my default Vegas Windows Layout. When I open Vegas Pro, I get an immediate crash.

I did a bit of searching online and found this other case related to Syncfusion and also this link that describes how they resolved it:

"Ultimately, the error was resolved by changing a property on one of the vendor's controls. What we did find out: our program is built against .Net framework 4.5. After building it against 4.6.2, which is installed with the Windows 10 update, it works fine regardless of that property value. The machine it was built on has the update installed as well. I'm not sure if it was something in the vendor's code, or something that changed within the .Net framework with the 4.6.2 version. The IDE showed that the arithmetic operation overflow was thrown by the mscorlib.dll."

I toyed with the idea of attempting to uninstall .NET framework 4.6.2 but decided to roll back from Windows 10 Anniversary edition to version 1511 while I could within the permitted time frame (which I have heard is just 10 days). I have done so and Vegas/MM is now working normally again.

I have deferred the Windows 10 Anniversary edition update in both the advanced settings and with gpedit.msc as described here. That will only give around a 9-month delay before it's forced on me. I did attempt to use Microsoft's wushowhide tool also described there (and here) to indefinitely block the update but the Anniversary 1607 update isn't showing in there for me at the moment, so I can't "hide" it. I will check again later. Maybe by the time I have no choice but to update, Microsoft and/or MAGIX will have solved the problem.

I have submitted a bug report to MAGIX [Ticket#2016082117000733].

Comments

NickHope wrote on 8/24/2016, 10:32 AM

I got a reply from MAGIX about this. Thanks! They said: "Some of those versions are built on Net Framework 3.5 which can be turned on in Programs and features > Turn Windows features on or off.Β  There are check boxes there for specific Net Framework versions." I hadn't thought of that, and I'm back on pre-Anniversary Windows 10 (for now), but this might be worth trying for anyone else who finds this issue.

If the issue persists, perhaps MAGIX could consider building MM on a later version of .NET Framework at some point (or upgrade/improve the whole thing, taking these suggestions into account).

Dr Zen wrote on 8/25/2016, 3:15 AM

Hi Nick
Thank you very much for posting this information.
I upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 version 1607, build 14393.82
Everything on my computer is working perfectly OK, however I did not check the Media Manager until reading your post.

I can report the exact same problem in Vegas Pro 13.
I tried turning on/off Net Framework versions in Windows Settings, but this made no difference.

However, I also own Acid Pro 7.0
Guess what? The Media Manager is working perfectly OK inside of Acid Pro and has not crashed once.
I will contact Magix Support and see what they have to say about this.

I would be totally lost without the Media Manager and love using it!

Regards
Derek

NickHope wrote on 8/25/2016, 5:45 AM

Sorry you're also getting the crash Dr Zen, but glad that someone has corroborated my issue. Thanks for reporting that disabling the .Net Framework versions doesn't fix it. I suspect the crash might be related to the complexity of the library. My video library has 20,000 items in it and gazillions of tags in a hierarchical structure. Is your library in Acid simpler than the library you use in Vegas?

I expect there may be a new release of MM to work with V14 as it currently writes to a folder called "Sony Media Libraries". Fingers crossed that MAGIX continues and develops it. It could be so much better with just a bit of work.

Dr Zen wrote on 8/25/2016, 9:06 AM

I have about 15,000 items in my library.
I use the same library in both Vegas and Acid.
Because I am still able to use Media Manager in Acid Pro, I did discover a few extra things.

1. The Reference Library no longer works. If I switch to the Sony Reference Library, the Product Information window reports "discontinued library - library no longer available". This would make sense now that Sony has shut down most of the links on their site.
  2. When I open the Media Manager OptionsΒ (Acid)Β and go to the About tab, there is a readout inside box. It is different to the readout shown when I open the same window in Vegas Pro. The first line says:
    file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    GAC

Inside the Vegas Pro, the same window is reporting a Version 4.

I will report all this to Magix tomorrow and see what they have to say.

NickHope wrote on 8/25/2016, 9:51 AM

I'm back on Windows 10 version 1511. I don't have a reference library installed but can still download the "Sony Loops and Samples" reference library from http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/referencelibrary I didn't do so as I'm totally paranoid about messing things up on MM. Be sure to link to this thread when you report so MAGIX can read our discussion.

NickHope wrote on 9/1/2016, 11:06 PM

I got a further message from MAGIX support that the issue has been passed up to management and added to their backlog.

jjackk wrote on 10/16/2016, 2:37 PM

Hello !
The same problem with Vegas Pro 13 (Media Manager) after updating windows 10 of the .Net Framework 4.6.2 reported to the MAGIX Support [Ticket # 2016101617004422]
Best Regarsds
Jacek Pyzowski

surferj45 wrote on 10/23/2016, 10:06 AM

I have the same crashing issue with MM in Vegas 13 with Windows 10. Really hope this is fixed soon. So disappointed! My editing process is slowed down without it.

NickHope wrote on 10/23/2016, 11:18 AM

I found my Windows 8.1 system image and will roll back to that if this issue still occurs when the Anniversary update is forced on me.

[ Edit: Another case at https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/media-manager-consisantly-crashes-vegas--104458/ ]

alex-bar wrote on 12/19/2016, 12:33 AM

In Windows 10 does not work Media Manager 2.4b. There are ways to solve this problem?

http://www.videomax.ru/forum/uploads/12766/SMM.PNG

NickHope wrote on 1/1/2017, 10:34 PM

As my impending roll back from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 (to fix this issue) is looming, I took a look to see if there has been progress on this issue.

Apparently the Syncfusion developers have fixed it:

"Yes the reported issue "Windows 10 Anniversary Update causing error" has been fixed. This fix has been included in our upcoming Main release "Volume 3, 2016" which is tentatively scheduled to be released at the end of September, 2016."

I'm really really REALLY hoping that the Vegas developers can incorporate this fix very soon. Sounds like it shouldn't really be too difficult.

jason-pegg wrote on 2/11/2017, 12:29 AM

Been facing the same issue (Vegas 14 with Windows 10 AE). Just installed v14 build 211 (latest) and it still didn't resolve the issue. While it should be easy to incorporate the latest version of Syncfusion into a build, it assumes they've kept their license up-to-date.

I'll submit a support ticket and reference this thread. Hopefully a solution is offered as not having Media Manager is a definite issue.

NickHope wrote on 2/11/2017, 1:46 AM

I don't think it's really an issue with Vegas. It's the separate MM that needs an update. Yesterday I disabled my Windows Update service completely on desktop and laptop so that I stay at Windows 10 version 1511 and don't receive a deferred Anniversary edition update (that breaks MM). If you didn't roll back from Anniversary edition quickly enough then unfortunately that's not an option. Of course I now can't receive any security updates etc. either, although I suppose I could try manually updating MS hotfixes later, outside of Windows Update.

Really hoping we don't get left in the lurch on this one. I have years of work invested in MM and I don't see any realistic alternative.

D7K wrote on 2/26/2017, 1:50 PM

I changed machines and installed 14 and guess what - no media manager installed. Is it a separate program? It was installed for 13, but I uninstalled 13 when the latest version of 14 was released.

Β 

NickHope wrote on 2/26/2017, 10:58 PM

I changed machines and installed 14 and guess what - no media manager installed. Is it a separate program? It was installed for 13, but I uninstalled 13 when the latest version of 14 was released.

Yes it's a separate install and now very hard to find. The file is called mediamanager24b.exe. Here's a download link: https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/link?id=3405.1

carl-borsing wrote on 4/16/2017, 2:58 AM

Vegas Pro 14 Trial said it installed just fine but didn't even run ONCE on my mid sized workstation (HP Z640) however I use Vegas Pro 13 SUITE and are experiencing the exact same issues in regards to Sony's Media manager. The strangest thing happened when I went into Programs and Features (Win 10 Control Panel). After having clicked OFF the leading Black square by . NET Framework 3.5 (Includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and rebooted I manged to use Sony Media Manager for a short while, that is BEFORE I checked a square in the Left panel related to some drum loops or whatever..

What's even "strangler" is that after RESTORING everything back (I hope) I manged to extend the Media manager window and look around, that is until I selected some audio file in the middle panel. As you might understand I've actually never used this allegedly superior manager since I've been too busy fighting all the BUGS in all my previous versions of Sony Vegas. Now if that's not declaring my love for Vegas Pro I don't know what is.. :)

Magix Samplitude pro X3 SUITE is the DAW I use in my studio and it's fantastic because it makes "BlowTools" stink in comparison, dual Audio engines and all.. Samplitude Pro X3 also uses dual Audio engines, handles around 30-40 Virtual instrument and Audio tracks just fine using my rather large Studio template. Effects buses stereo / surround sound tracks, around 11 AUX FX channels, one external FX Rack (ElevenRack if you must know) and one BUS is dedicated as a surround AUX channel (everything across ALL tracks), without as much as a click or too extraneous 2X, 6 Core, XEON CPU activities (yep LOTS of ROUTING and I STILL love those old win gadgets). My Vegas Pro 14 experience however is a whole new matter since the last I heard was that there was no way to extend my trial and anyone knowing me also know that I won't spend money purchasing a Pig in a sack, no matter how cute it now may seem, THAT and I'll NEVER vote for those DemocRats ever again, NEVAH!!.. :D

Hope everything "sorts itself" out because it clearly hasn't as of 16, Apr,2017 / the latest win 10 upgrade..

NickHope wrote on 4/27/2017, 4:58 AM
However, I also own Acid Pro 7.0

Guess what? The Media Manager is working perfectly OK inside of Acid Pro and has not crashed once.

@Dr Zen - Can you still run MM in Acid Pro in up-to-date Windows 10? Can video media be managed that way or is it audio only?

Just planning what I'm going to do when something finally forces me past Windows 10 version 1511. Really don't want to have a dedicated legacy machine or dual boot just for MM.

Dr Zen wrote on 4/27/2017, 7:12 AM

Hi Nick
Media Manager is still working 100% OK in Acid Pro.
All media types including Audio & Video are working.
I have the very latest Windows 10 Creators Update installed, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.250.

When you install Media Manager in Windows 10, you get a warning that SQL Server 2005 will probably not work properly, although it seemed to work OK. However, I did find an update app on the Microsoft website and was able to successfully upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2014. I use MM many times each week and it has never crashed in Acid Pro.

Regards
Derek

NickHope wrote on 4/27/2017, 11:11 AM

Thank you Dr Zen. That could be an unlikely and very fortunate workaround for me in the future.

How many items do you have in your MM video and audio libraries?

Has SQL Server 2014 replaced SQL Server 2005 on your system? That would surprise me because I was under the impression that they are mutually exclusive, and that MM would only work with the older version. But I'm no expert. This is the slightly ridiculous amount of SQL Server stuff I have now on my system (from Control Panel > Programs & Features). I daren't touch any of it!

If you still have SQL Server 2005 as well as 2014, you might find that 2014 isn't actually doing anything.

Dr Zen wrote on 4/27/2017, 10:02 PM

To be honest, I have no idea if SQL Server 2014 is actually installed properly or doing anything. When I ran this upgrade app from Microsoft, I just assumed it had worked because I saw a row of green check boxes. Maybe SQL 2005 is still doing the work. Here is a screen shot of all my Microsoft programs.

I don't have one master library in MM. Instead I have created multiple libraries.
There are over 15,000 audio items in one library and I have over 10,000 video items in another library.

jason-pegg wrote on 4/29/2017, 2:15 AM

To find out which version of SQL Server is doing the work, you can open "Services" on your computer and look for an entry like "SQL Server (SONY_MEDIAMGR2)". (This is the default, I believe.) Double-click on that and look at the "Path to executable". If the path includes something like, "MSSQL.1" or "MSSQL.2", then it's using the 2005 instance. "Upgrading" SQL Server often just installs an instance of a new version, as opposed to truly replacing an old version and moving the databases over. (For instance, I currently have 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2014, and 2016 installed. I do a lot of programming. πŸ™‚Β )

The core contention between Windows 10 and MM comes down to one of the third-party controls (SyncFusion) used to render tree views in MM (something I tracked down by tracing errors with Visual Studio). SyncFusion released an update to the control when it stopped working with the latest editions of Windows 10. I reached out to SyncFusion to see if there's a way to update the control outside of recompiling the code. Unfortunately, without the source code, there's no way to do it. (For the programmers out there, yes, you can update a control AND force the system to use the updated version. However, the old version and the new version have to be signed with the same public key. And while MOST recent versions of the control use the same key, the one used by MM is old enough to be different from the current PK. Of course.)

I also reached out to MAGIX to see if they plan to release a new version of MM with updated controls. They have no such plans. They referred to MM as "legacy" code and seemed to indicate that it may not even be something in their possession. It's something that Sony gave up on a few versions back, so they have no plans for it. They also had no recommendations for an alternative.

I also have Acid Pro and have seen MM kinda working with it. I can never get it to stick around long enough to be useful, though. And I certainly can't use it to drag media into VEGAS.

To be honest, I'm tempted to write my own (simple) version of MM so I can keep using my library (around 10,000 entries - small compared to some of yours). The database schema is pretty straightforward, the APIs into VEGAS seem to be well-documented, and the basic framework could be written up as an add-on. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. I keep hoping (and hunting) for some sort of "miracle workaround". So I follow this thread pretty carefully. πŸ™‚

I wish I had better news on the SyncFusion / MAGIC / Sony front. If I turn up anything new, I'll certainly share it here.

Good luck, all!
Jason...

Dr Zen wrote on 4/29/2017, 2:36 AM

Hi Jason
Thanks for your insight - you are spot on the money!
The 2005 instance is in control.

There are 4 SQL services listed on my computer.
The pathway for Media Manager is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sSONY_MEDIAMGR2

The pathway for VSS Writer is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe

NickHope wrote on 4/29/2017, 4:44 AM

Thanks for the input @jason-pegg I can also confirm that it's 2005 doing the work here.

Before I even embarked on using MM, I asked the questions about exporting the data to another program. Unfortunately Dropbox and Imageshack have conspired to break all the image links in that thread, but it may still be worthwhile background reading.

4 years ago I then discovered Vee-Hive. This is the program I have found that bears the most resemblance to MM. Discussion started here and then went to his forum. Basically he managed to open my MM libraries and foresee a migration path into Vee-Hive, although there was an issue with thumbnails. There was also a little discussion about it on the Vegas forum here. At the time, MM was working OK and there didn't seem to be any interest in sharing the cost of the Vee-Hive coder's work, so I left it on the back burner. Vee-Hive is a "cottage industry" sort of program but may still be a solution.

The core contention between Windows 10 and MM comes down to one of the third-party controls (SyncFusion) used to render tree views in MM (something I tracked down by tracing errors with Visual Studio). SyncFusion released an update to the control when it stopped working with the latest editions of Windows 10. I reached out to SyncFusion to see if there's a way to update the control outside of recompiling the code. Unfortunately, without the source code, there's no way to do it. (For the programmers out there, yes, you can update a control AND force the system to use the updated version. However, the old version and the new version have to be signed with the same public key. And while MOST recent versions of the control use the same key, the one used by MM is old enough to be different from the current PK. Of course.)

Might it be possible for someone who knows what they are doing to reverse-engineer the MM executable? i.e. Getting updated Syncfusion into it and perhaps re-compiling it with updated Microsoft SQL etc.? i.e. Hack it, or provide instructions for users to hack it at home.

Alternatively, might it be possible to locate the part of Windows that upset SyncFusion and roll that back?

I also reached out to MAGIX to see if they plan to release a new version of MM with updated controls. They have no such plans. They referred to MM as "legacy" code and seemed to indicate that it may not even be something in their possession. It's something that Sony gave up on a few versions back, so they have no plans for it. They also had no recommendations for an alternative.

That sucks in the extreme, and I wouldn't be surprised if they even take the option out of VP15. MM is a Vegas USP in my opinion and they should be building on it. I expect they probably do own the code, or at least have the power to make MM compatible with the current Windows version if enough of us shout loudly. As far as I know, it isn't used with any products that are still under Sony.

If Magix have really given up on it, then maybe they can open the source code. That would be a win-win situation. If it went open-source we could also improve it and get the bugs fixed too.

To be honest, I'm tempted to write my own (simple) version of MM so I can keep using my library (around 10,000 entries - small compared to some of yours). The database schema is pretty straightforward, the APIs into VEGAS seem to be well-documented, and the basic framework could be written up as an add-on. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

I'm heavily invested in MM, so I have a serious budget to help secure my data's future without having to maintain a dedicated "legacy" machine. I would donate generously to such an effort, whether it's by you, the Vee-Hive guy, or someone else. It might be possible to use a crowd-funding website to raise the funds, with interested parties pledging $$ for a functional product. I'd be happy to organise that if someone is confident they can get the job done.

NickHope wrote on 4/29/2017, 5:13 AM

Here are some other possibilities for running MM on Windows 10 version 1607 and later, without setting up dual boot or a separate machine:

I'm not super-hopeful because of the complexity of setting up MM and the permissions issues etc. but they might be worth a try.