Word Wrap

Barry W. Hull wrote on 1/4/2015, 4:03 PM
This might be one of those no-brainers that I am unable to find...

... but is there an easy way to place some sort of text box that will force the text to wrap to the next line, exactly the way the text box feature works in WORD?

I have a lot of text to add and I'm tired of being forced to determine where to hit the Enter key. It is a pain and a double pain when I edit the text, doing and redoing the Enter key strokes.

Currently, as I type, I get one long line of text that flows off the screen, can't find a word wrap feature.

Thanks,
Barry

Comments

videoITguy wrote on 1/4/2015, 5:24 PM
all depends - where you are coming from and where are you going. You can use typesetting app like Adobe Illustrator if you must get it absolutely perfect. Typesetting is an art, word-wrap in MS Wordpad is just sloppy typography. Understand, justification, line height, and kerning to understand typography.
john_dennis wrote on 1/4/2015, 5:50 PM
There's at least one other person who hasn't been able to find word wrap.

For a lot of text, I've actually used Word.

format the page to look the way I want it to look.

print from Word to Adobe Acrobat at 1200 dpi or higher

in Acrobat, save as .png

in Photoshop invert the colors, black text on white background becomes white text on black background

drop the .png on the Vegas Pro timeline and pan through it

It sounds like a lot more work than it really is if you have all the applications available. Text entry can be a lot less frustrating.

Barry W. Hull wrote on 1/4/2015, 5:58 PM
Thanks John.

Don't have Photoshop though. I'll invert the colors directly in WORD.

Sure would be nice to simply type the text right in Vegas.
john_dennis wrote on 1/4/2015, 6:14 PM
You can also do the inversion in Vegas Pro with the Video FX / Invert filter..
Barry W. Hull wrote on 1/4/2015, 6:21 PM
videoITguy, Thanks for that.

JR, write one your VASST Fast Apps that creates a text box with horizontal boundaries and provides word wrap and I'll buy it, today.
MikeLV wrote on 12/30/2015, 11:25 AM
I can understanding cutting and pasting from notepad, but the question is, say my video is 640px wide, and I want to overlay the paragraph of text, if I compose it in notepad and paste, I still won't know where the hard line breaks need to go until its showing in the preview monitor.. Anyone figure this out yet? Only other thing I could think of is to make an image in photoshop at the correct dimensions, do the hard line breaks there, and cut and paste from photoshop, not sure if it will work though...

Update: The photoshop thing doesn't work, cut the text out and paste into Vegas and it's still just one long line. =( Not only that, a 19px size font in photoshop, translated to a 10-11 size font in Vegas..
jetdv wrote on 12/30/2015, 2:26 PM
Titler Pro 4 from NewBlue has the ability to do this.
MikeLV wrote on 12/30/2015, 2:32 PM
That's not part of Vegas right, a different program? How does it interface with Vegas?
jetdv wrote on 12/31/2015, 4:53 PM
Correct. It is not a part of Vegas. It is a Titler that can be placed directly on the timeline and will show up in the Media Generators tab in Vegas.