Wow, did Epson screw up!

JJKizak wrote on 5/18/2005, 2:53 PM
Normally I get about 120 disc printings on a set of ink cartridges on my 960 but this last set is up to 196 and still going. Default settings with half of them print to hub. I think the guy filling the cartridges went to get coffee.

JJK

PS: It's up to 214 now and just started printing another disc design with black text and light yellow background. All of the other discs were full color with a wide variation.
PS: Up to 265 discs and still going on one set of cartridges. I think they left out the sponges by mistake.
PS: Up to 275 discs and still going on one set of cartridges.

Comments

Jsnkc wrote on 5/18/2005, 2:57 PM
120..that's it....I usually get a lot more than that. But I'm using a R-200.
JazzyG wrote on 5/18/2005, 3:45 PM
How well does the R200 print to disk? I was looking at getting the R300 for Fathers Day but am undecided since I have not seen what the final product looks like.
Chienworks wrote on 5/18/2005, 3:50 PM
The amount of ink used will also depend on the design you are printing. If it is overall lighter or has larger white areas then it will use less ink. Yellow, cyan, and magenta colored areas also use less ink than red, green, or blue areas.
kentwolf wrote on 5/18/2005, 5:31 PM
>>How well does the R200 print to disk?

Excellent-ly!

Get it.
Michael L wrote on 5/18/2005, 5:36 PM
I have an R200- works great but I want to get ink from JJKizak's filler!!
B.Verlik wrote on 5/18/2005, 6:10 PM
R-200 is excellent. Am now on $30. substitute brand ink carts now, No problems so far.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/18/2005, 6:27 PM
I get mine for ~$20 for all 6. :)
MichaelS wrote on 5/18/2005, 6:46 PM
The quality of the R200 is excellent, especially considering the price of the printer. Of course, their money is in ink, but smart designs can really stretch a set of ink cartridges. By the way, I've found that Office Max carries the cartridges as individuals, rather that entire sets. This is really helpful since it seems my "black" always runs out first.

Also, we run "3" R200's from an old, sloooow computer at the same time. When you have to print 300 DVD's, it's a real time saver. I just start them a minute apart using 3 instances of the Epson CD program. It's a regular little production line when you get'em going.
NickHope wrote on 5/19/2005, 3:00 AM
My Epson R210 (same as R200 but Thai model) started to refuse to load disks after i'd printed around 100 in several batches. If I print more than 1 at once the repeat ones just won't load. I took it to the service agent, got a repair under warranty that took a month, brought it home, and it still has the same problem. They are going to try cleaning it next. In the meantime I've had to buy another identical printer just so I can keep working. All very annoying and a huge waste of time.
JJKizak wrote on 5/19/2005, 5:50 AM
Nick Hope:
For what that printer cost junk it and get a new one. The repair people will put in more problems than it had in the first place.

JJK
B.Verlik wrote on 5/19/2005, 1:29 PM
Most of these R-200's , don't load 100% correctly. I need to feed mine in about 1/2 inch further than the marks on the printer. Sometimes I need to give it a little push, so the tray feeds all the way in. (It stops, sometimes, right after I press print, but if I give it a nudge, it continues flawlessly.) (and I mean a nudge, nothing is forced.)
slacy wrote on 5/19/2005, 1:35 PM
How's the print quality on these little CD printers? The price is amazing. If you tell me the quality is good, I may have to run out tonight and buy one!
B.Verlik wrote on 5/19/2005, 3:20 PM
Go buy one now.
fwtep wrote on 5/19/2005, 3:31 PM
I got one last week and I love it. It's fantastic. (I've always used Epson Photo printers-- since their first one-- this is just the first CD-capable one I've had.)
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/19/2005, 6:16 PM
I have the "nudge" thing too, but for the price & quality (amazing. The CD's can look almost photo-like) it's a no brainer.

I tell everyone I know to get one of these & not an HP anymore (I used to like them)
MichaelS wrote on 5/19/2005, 6:30 PM
My wife (our office manager) ordered replacement trays for our R200. They were very inexpensive. I'll try to get the supplier and post it tomorrow. After a while, the clear plastic "tongues" begin to wear thin. Just wanted you to know that replacements are available for those who may need one.
Randy Brown wrote on 5/19/2005, 7:11 PM
I get mine for ~$20 for all 6.
Where?!
I'll try to get the supplier and post it tomorrow
Please do, I have one wearing thin (and stopping before ejecting)
TIA,
Randy
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/19/2005, 7:47 PM
I used to buy ink from Abacus24-7 on e-bay. Then I got info on their store: http://private.abacus24-7.com/

6-pack of ink: http://private.abacus24-7.com/driver.aspx?topic=singleProduct&pid=11304
$16.85

Shipping: $4.95

:)
Erk wrote on 5/19/2005, 10:19 PM
I've been printing discs with the Epson Stylus Photo 900, which I guess is now several models out of date.

Do the newer Epsons do a better job printing on blank discs? My Epson does pretty well, but the saturation could be better.

Greg
Randy Brown wrote on 5/20/2005, 9:02 AM
The detail and color on both of mine are flawless ...it's just the mechanical quirks that bother me.
Still a great deal for the money.
Randy
skibumm101 wrote on 5/20/2005, 9:29 AM
http://www.swiftink.com/

great ink very inexspensiv

if you interested here is a link to a forum on anandtech the gives reviews on them.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1514424&enterthread=y

great ink for r200 in my opinion even better then origina.

oh, they use pigment based ink if it is described in the oem specification(better ink then dye)
tailgait wrote on 5/21/2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks to all for your comments. I went out an bought an R-200 at Frys and it cost me $79 and it works beautifully. Takes 2-min. to print a disc, but what the hell, ya know?
tailgait
MichaelS wrote on 5/21/2005, 12:53 PM
Replacement CD/DVD print trays for the Epson R200 are available from National Parts Depot (and probably other suppliers):

www.nationalparts.com

Their delivery was fast (next day) and relatively inexpensive.

Also, I've read on other forums that Epson would replace these trays at no cost. I can't say that this is true. If you use the printer a lot, it may be quicker, easier and less hassle to pay for them and have a few on hand, as we do.

Good luck!
bjtap wrote on 5/21/2005, 2:43 PM
MichaelS,
I just went to Natonalparts.com and could not find anything for the R200. Under R300 I found 3 parts and I don't believe any of them were the CD trays. Could you supply an exact URL, or an actual part number?
Thanks,
Barry