You can tag Subclips...Except you can't...

Sol M. wrote on 1/16/2015, 2:47 PM
Tagging subclips in Vegas would be very useful for organizing your project and locating the media you need faster. At first glance, it appears Vegas supports tagging subclips. Create a subclip, and add a tag. It works just like it does with standard media files.

However, there's a pretty major issue that can undo all of the tagging work you've done and you won't even know it until the next time you open the project.

I wanted to share this issue so that no one else is caught unaware after doing a lot of work. Here's the breakdown:

In the Project Media window, you can add tags to subclips. Everything works just as it does with standard media files.

However, when you quit Vegas and then reopen the project, you'll find that all of the tags have been removed from your subclips.

In fact, just closing the "Project Media" tab will also cause the tags to be removed from your subclips.

Interestingly, if you close the project with tagged subclips, open another project, and then reopen the project, the subclips are still tagged. Only when you close the "Project Media" tab or quit Vegas are the tags removed from subclips.

As you can see, while it appears to work, you'll lose all of the tagging work you did to organize your subclips in your project.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Have you found a solution?

Comments

Sol M. wrote on 1/17/2015, 3:55 PM
Hmm, I suppose subclip tagging is not something others have tried to do for their projects.
xberk wrote on 1/18/2015, 4:55 PM
I'm seeing this same behavior. Subclips do not stay tagged after closing Vegas.
Running V13 latest build. Win 8.1 Seems like a bug to me.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

tim-evans wrote on 1/18/2015, 9:45 PM
I noticed this behavior the first time I tried tagging subclips on a project back with Vegas 12. After an hours worth of work of tagging, on reopening the project they all had magically disappeared. It seemed like a wonderful feature until I used them! What a waste of time. I never used them again. More of the same unpredictable behavior and unfinished features from our beloved Vegas. Are we supposed to let SCS know? Were they really unaware? Personally I am tired of it. I think it says more that it is has taken 2 years for anyone to comment on it. Does anyone actually use the new features that SCS add? They obviously want users to use subclips as it is the only realistic way to use Vegas Stabilization.
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 1/18/2015, 11:41 PM
This was found in the F1 help, searched for Tagging.

If you've used previous versions of Vegas Pro, the Project Media window is the window you came to know and love as the Media Pool. Its name was changed to protect the innocent (and prevent confusion with the Media Manager window).

hahha
concept wrote on 10/19/2016, 5:01 AM

Same behavior on VP14. This is ridiculous. We're talking basic functionality here. How hard can it possibly be to associate a set of tags with a subclip?

On top of that, the smart bins functionality is also weird. If I search with condition "All = D600" for example, it will find all clips and subclips that contain the "D600" keyword. If I search with condition "Name = D600" it does not find anything.

Very disappointed.

NickHope wrote on 1/3/2017, 2:58 AM

Also reported here, and I've just verified this in VP12, VP13 and VP14 build 211.

I was a little surprised to see that media tags (not on sub-clips) will carry over between projects and even versions of Vegas. Looks like they are getting written to the .sfl file in the same folder as the media. If that technology fundamentally prevents them being stored with sub-clips after closing Vegas (as it would seem to), then Vegas should stop us being able tag subclips at all, or give us a warning that they will be kept for this session only.

SuperG wrote on 1/3/2017, 9:27 PM

Also reported here, and I've just verified this in VP12, VP13 and VP14 build 211.

I was a little surprised to see that media tags (not on sub-clips) will carry over between projects and even versions of Vegas. Looks like they are getting written to the .sfl file in the same folder as the media. If that technology fundamentally prevents them being stored with sub-clips after closing Vegas (as it would seem to), then Vegas should stop us being able tag subclips at all, or give us a warning that they will be kept for this session only.

Thanks for checking this. I hope Vegas puts this on their list of features to-do in the future. For now I'm just going to have to put markers or regions on the source media, and write down the region names in a spreadsheet.

mervynj wrote on 12/30/2017, 5:10 PM

Vegas Pro 14.0 (build 252) I'm so angry, I just used Vegas to create sublips for an old wedding that was one contiuous DV tape captured. What a great idea I thought, then I can use the sub clips as required to complete the edit. The next time I opened Vegas they were all gone. I've tried opening another project, then re-openeing the one with sub clips, didn't work. Why am I angry....3 hours of subclip creation down the drain. Does this problem still exist in version 15?

mervynj wrote on 1/1/2018, 4:16 PM

Cornico, thanks. Is there a way to get the subclips back in the bins, like editing tags or something?

Former user wrote on 1/2/2018, 6:10 AM

Some info here ... https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/990345

mervynj wrote on 1/2/2018, 6:29 AM

Well the problem seems to be fixed with build 270.
I found build 270, (why are the updates so hard to find?) and although not specifically mentioned in the update notes, there was, Markers and regions are now properly saved inside the Trimmer window for ProRes and HEVC files.

I created 40 subclips from a source .avi DV file that was in a Source Files bin. Then moved the 40 subclips to another bin. Saved the project, exited and opened again and they are all still there... yeehah!

Now I'm happy.😂

NickHope wrote on 1/3/2018, 2:30 AM

@mervynj

...in the update notes, there was, Markers and regions are now properly saved inside the Trimmer window for ProRes and HEVC files.

That was a different issue.

I haven't heard of another case of the issue you have had. The original issue described in this case still exists in VP14 build 270 and VP15 build 261.

mervynj wrote on 1/3/2018, 5:08 AM

@mervynj

...in the update notes, there was, Markers and regions are now properly saved inside the Trimmer window for ProRes and HEVC files.

That was a different issue.

I haven't heard of another case of the issue you have had. The original issue described in this case still exists in VP14 build 270 and VP15 build 261.

Nick, I agree it seems a different issue, but I can assure you the ability to create subclips and move them into bins and save, exit and return to the software is fixed in build 270. If you can prove otherwise that will be very interesting, for Magix.

Marco. wrote on 1/3/2018, 5:10 AM

Yes, the subclips itselfs are working fine for me in VP15 (except of tagging), even importing subclips as media from other projects into a new one works fine.

NickHope wrote on 1/3/2018, 6:55 AM
Nick, I agree it seems a different issue, but I can assure you the ability to create subclips and move them into bins and save, exit and return to the software is fixed in build 270. If you can prove otherwise that will be very interesting, for Magix.

@mervynj I had no idea that was ever broken and yours is the only report of this issue that I can recall. I don't have your problem in the final version of VP13. I would have to roll back VP14 to an earlier build to see if I get a problem like you had, but I don't think that's worth doing. Glad you go got your issue fixed.

Rainer wrote on 1/3/2018, 4:08 PM

Not saving the subclip tags or tag smartbins may be a bit of a nuisance and it would be nice to have this fixed, but it's a pretty minor workaround to create a media bin for each of your subclip categories.

mjry wrote on 9/1/2022, 7:04 AM

Ok, now we are in 2022 and I just discovered this issue in Vegas Pro 20. Using media tag on other projects I tagged many subclips and spend hours to organize large project. What a surprise that after reopening the project, there were no tagged subclips!! This feature is absolute nonsense if it works for only some kind of stuff in the Project media window.

RogerS wrote on 9/1/2022, 7:38 AM

Totally agree- media management is a weak point here.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7