Comments

cdavid wrote on 6/10/2017, 4:26 PM

Yes, when? Magix took over Vegas from Sony last year about this time, and we've heard nothing from them about their vision for the future of Vegas. Will it continue as a separate product line? Will it be merged with Movie Edit Pro? Will it be discontinued? I love Vegas and will support it and Magix long term, but I deliberately did not upgrade to Vegas 14 because of the lack of information from Magix about their strategic plans. We want to know!

NormanPCN wrote on 6/10/2017, 5:52 PM

Those who know cannot talk about it. Those who talk usually don't know.

NickHope wrote on 6/10/2017, 11:14 PM

...Will it continue as a separate product line? Will it be merged with Movie Edit Pro? Will it be discontinued?...

3 days ago from the community manager: "Don't worry... We definitely will continue VEGAS Pro".

Master86 wrote on 6/11/2017, 7:26 AM

Thank you for your answers. Looks like they are already stopping the updates for Vegas Pro 14. Since no new updates, strange. Is he preparing the Vegas 15? Maybe for that there are no more updates.

john_dennis wrote on 6/11/2017, 12:00 PM

[Suggestion]

Stop posting about the possibility of a Vegas Pro 15 that will solve all of your problems and learn to use one of the existing versions. I have versions 9-13 on one machine that I've used to complete projects that have brought myself and others much joy. I was able to do the same with versions 4 and 8 but chose not to keep those versions loaded.

If you need help with a specific problem, post some information about what media you're using on which machine on a particular version of Vegas Pro and ask for help from the community. There are many people here that are willing and capable of helping you with any problem.

[/Suggestion]  

Master86 wrote on 6/12/2017, 9:17 AM

I say and I ask what I want John Dennis, okay? It's not up to you to tell me what to ask and say. Thank you

john_dennis wrote on 6/12/2017, 10:24 AM

Noted.

Former user wrote on 6/12/2017, 10:37 AM

Probably not far off, once you see a 40% off offer like this https://diyvideoeditor.com/

OldSmoke wrote on 6/12/2017, 10:42 AM

Probably not far off, once you see a 40% off offer like this https://diyvideoeditor.com/

I noticed the Multicam Capture plugin for Pinnacle Studio, now that would be something if Vegas could do it! Especially if it would work as BMD or other multi channel recording card.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

andreas-v wrote on 6/12/2017, 12:35 PM

Information about the future version?

I hope it will be a while til V15

Updates are free

Upgrades milk the cow

OldSmoke wrote on 6/12/2017, 12:59 PM

Information about the future version?

I hope it will be a while til V15

Updates are free

Upgrades milk the cow

LOL!!

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

ushere wrote on 6/12/2017, 9:55 PM

if the cow gets double cream i'm happy paying ;-)

OldSmoke wrote on 6/12/2017, 11:18 PM

if the cow gets double cream i'm happy paying ;-)

I don't remember getting cream with any version, let alone double.😋

System Spec.:

ushere wrote on 6/13/2017, 2:16 AM

i'd put gpu using latest cards as single cream, double would be using dynamic ram reliably to build previews ;-)

arkadiusz-buchala wrote on 6/13/2017, 7:37 AM

Instead of thinking about Vegas 15 I'm thinking about Magix fixing bugs in Vegas 14 which existed in older versions. If proper GPU support won't be available in the future version, then I'm done with Vegas.

cdavid wrote on 6/13/2017, 6:45 PM

Nick Hope (community manager) wrote on 6/11/2017, 12:14 AM: "Don't worry... We definitely will continue VEGAS Pro".

Well, I'm glad to hear that, but that doesn't add any new information to what we've heard since the release of Vegas 14 almost a year ago. <sigh> If only you'd tease us with some of the new features or even a rough release window. (This year? Next year? 2020?) Given the uncertainty when something I use and love gets sold to a new company on the block, I'm hoping for a little more. Last year, just after V14 was release, I had to recommend to a client that they use Adobe Premiere CC 2017 (ugh!) because I was unsure about the future of Vegas. Nothing I've heard since then has made me confident to change my recommendation.

Cliff Etzel wrote on 6/13/2017, 10:23 PM

I come from having used Premiere Pro CS5, 5.5 and CS6 - before that I used Vegas from Version 4 on to 10 or so before I switched due to stability issues. Now I'm back because IMO, Adobe has gotten too big and that 800lb Gorilla imposes its will on one man shops like myself. No thanks on the Ransomware (I was part of a focus group asked whether they should go to subscription several years back - I told them flat out I would not upgrade if they put that into place). Premiere Pro is a resource hog and a very well documented bug since CS4 is the corruption of project and auto save files that cannot be read or repaired - and that still happens with the current version of Premiere Pro CC. I had that very issue arise just recently from an archived project. Fortunately, even though Premiere Pro couldn't read it's own project file, Vegas Pro was able to via importing the PPro project file. I still had to rebuild some of it, but not from scratch. Finished the edit in VP13 b545 and I'm pretty much over Adobe except for Photoshop. I'm on the fence about upgrading to 14 instead opting for version 15 to be released. For Audio Slideshows, shorter projects where ease of use and excellent IQ is important, Vegas really can't be beat. Other free tools exist - Resolve and the soon to be released Avid Media Composer First. I've tested Resolve - it's great on my desktop, but refuses to run on my laptop but I"m not a fan of node based color correcting/grading. I will be testing AVID's free NLE but in all honesty, Vegas still wins for several reasons. It's really a matter of not buying into spin doctoring ad wizards and just edit your projects. Who knows??? Maybe Vegas Pro will one day be gone - so be it - other tools will take its place. But for now, I'm giving Vegas Pro another chance - and for the kinds of work I shoot and edit - it works very well.

arkadiusz-buchala wrote on 6/14/2017, 12:36 AM

Cliff, I switched from CS 5.5 too. But I'm going to switch to Resolve Studio (which I own) as my main editor. I have many stability issues with Vegas 14 which I didn't have with V13. I'm not able to finish my projects and time is running away, support works slowly. All those things are annoying... I have to say that I really appreciate Magix for adding Pro Res support - but it's useless when you are not able to use V14 because of the bugs...

New Resolve is still a beta, but so far it runs on my not so good laptop where Vegas 14 is not able to perform well on my a lot better machine. To be honest, if V14 won't be more stable then I won't be happy with this upgrade from V13. A lot people also have problems with third party plugins like Mercalli and Titler from New blue - I have them too, so I ended up not using them but spending money on them when upgrading to V14... do I have to comment that?

ushere wrote on 6/14/2017, 1:19 AM

good summation arkadiusz. 14 'broke' too many things for me; plugins, scripts, etc., WITHOUT fixing my main bugbear, reliable gpu support, not to mention stability problems.

NickHope wrote on 6/14/2017, 1:57 AM

Nick Hope (community manager) wrote on 6/11/2017, 12:14 AM: "Don't worry... We definitely will continue VEGAS Pro".

Well, I'm glad to hear that...

I'm not the community manager. I'm a volunteer moderator and I was quoting what the community manager said in response to cdavid's questions.

..I have many stability issues with Vegas 14 which I didn't have with V13...

Can you be specific about those issues?

(p.s. while we're on the subject: ushere's VP14 issues)

arkadiusz-buchala wrote on 6/14/2017, 3:37 AM

Nick, this is what I wrote to Magix support (forgive me my poor english):

"Hi,
there is an old bug in VEGAS, at least it was present in version 12 and 13, and
it's present in new Vegas 14. I'm talking about problem with VEGAS
stablilize.
Please see this link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9HygsAMXPhzSUpKQTRQaWQyMFE?usp=sha[..]
You will see that there is something wrong with the behavior of mentioned plugin.
This problem was present on different type of machines, and on different types of
system (Windows 7, 8.1, 10). Can you please fix it?

Another thing is a problem with VST plugins. Today, when I was working with a
project Vegas refused to load parameters of VST plugins (see the screenshots from
the link). Those plugins I was using for years with Vegas 12,13 and with the new
Vegas 14 since It was released.
I already tried to load again VST plugin directory, unload and load again plugins
and set the new parameters but it didn't help.

There is also problem with VEGAS credit roll. It is present at least since version
12. When you try to move from plugin window directly to timeline, this plugin
cause Vegas to freeze".

Another message:

"If it comes to vst plugins it's Antress audio plugins (modern limiter and modern amplifier). Problem doesn't exist in Vegas 13. I restored my system from partition backup but this problem still exist. 
Problem with audio isn't the biggest one. I'm more concern about vegas freeze. Since couple of days Vegas refuse to work with my gpu but previously everything worked fine (almost... ). I have to bypass gpu optimization and turn off gpu in vegas. If it's not done vegas works only for a 5-7minutes and crashes.  I'm not able to render anything.  I tried to install fresh drivers but it didn't help,  as I wrote I restored my system from backup but it didn't help.  I reinstalled vegas but it didn't help. So far Vegas is useless for me... and I have less time to finish the projects.

Have a good day,
Arek"

There is also problem with HITFILM - sometimes when I want to edit a clip in Hitfilm using dynamic link - Vegas freeze.

There is change of brightness and contrast when editing clips in Hitfilm using dynamic link (it's present since V12).

Not all of the scripts works in V14. Some of them worked already in V14, but stopped to work - for example "remove gaps" - this is the one that I'm using on a daily basis.

Vegas freeze randomly when using Neat Video (not always, but it happens).

Did I mentioned GPU problems?

Another thing is a performance of V14 which is poor...

That's all for now.

NickHope wrote on 6/14/2017, 4:53 AM

Thanks for all that. Some of those I've heard of before but most of them are new to me.

When reporting issues to Support, I think it's generally best to report the issues separately, be as specific as you can, and if possible to provide an exact procedure to replicate the issue. As always, the more accurate information you can give them about system specs, media formats etc., the better.

...I have to bypass gpu optimization and turn off gpu in vegas. If it's not done vegas works only for a 5-7minutes and crashes.  I'm not able to render anything.  I tried to install fresh drivers but it didn't help,  as I wrote I restored my system from backup but it didn't help.  I reinstalled vegas but it didn't help...

What GPU do you have? What drivers have you tried?

Not all of the scripts works in V14. Some of them worked already in V14, but stopped to work - for example "remove gaps" - this is the one that I'm using on a daily basis.

Perhaps #4 here can help? https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-scripting-faqs-resources--104563/

arkadiusz-buchala wrote on 6/14/2017, 5:30 AM

Nick,

I know that it's chaotic, but I don't know what's better - starting a new thread for every single problem or trying to describe more problems in one thread.

For getting response from support you have to wait...long... Maybe I'm unfair, but for example with my chaotic way of explaining things I'm able to get fast response and solution from Blackmagic support. So is it possible? I guess it is.

I have GTX 660, driver version 382.33. I reverted to 373.06 which worked fine with V13 and V14. And no, problem with V14 didn't start when I installed fresh drivers.

Remove gaps worked fine in V14 but it has stopped to work properly - I was able to remove gaps and join video clips and its audio, but right now audio stays where it is and I'm able to remove gaps only between video clips.

I uploaded project file, I don't know what I can do to recreate the problem. I won't send source files because it is 300 GB of data.

And Nick, thank you for helping me. I appreciate it.

GJeffrey wrote on 6/14/2017, 6:58 AM

There is change of brightness and contrast when editing clips in Hitfilm using dynamic link (it's present since V12).

I have reported this issue to Hitfilm already. Hitfilm's staff reply was basically that the way they decode the file is different than Vegas. They won't do anything to solve this.

Agree with you that it's a bug but looks like it will be a long standing one.