1. Where can I download the official VEGAS Pro Scripting FAQs?
See this page. Direct link to the file download. This is a great start to learning scripting.
2. Where can I download the VEGAS Pro Scripting API Summary?
See this page. Direct link to the file download.
3. Is there an SDK for VEGAS Pro?
An SDK (software development kit) may be available for some developers by contacting VEGAS Creative Software.
Legacy Sony Vegas Pro SDKs may be downloaded from the Internet Archive including (slow direct links; be patient):
- Video Plug-In Development Kit (OFX)
- Video Plug-In Development Kit (DXT)
Much is still relevant to later versions of VEGAS Pro.
This project on Github may be a helpful reference in developing OpenFX video plugins for VEGAS Pro.
4. Why don't my Vegas Pro 13 (and earlier) scripts work in VEGAS Pro 14 or later?
In C# (*.cs) scripts change this line
If the script references a "Sony"-branded FX, that should be changed to the equivalent "VEGAS"-branded FX.
5. Which versions of VEGAS support scripting?
Scripting was introduced in Vegas 4.0 and is supported in all versions of VEGAS Pro since. Scripting is not supported in any version of VEGAS Movie Studio.
6. Where can I find more scripting help?
Besides this official forum, jetdv.com also has scripting information, and this post links to some of the tutorials on his site.
While the current forum search feature is still in development, a search of the Sony Creative Software forum archive may help in finding old forum posts.
7. Where can I submit requests for future scripting features?
Add your wishes to this thread.
8. How can I run a block of code as a script?
If you find a script posted on the forum or elsewhere as simple text, this is how you run it in VEGAS Pro:
- Copy and paste the text to a text editor (e.g. Notepad).
- Make a change to the script's namespace if necessary, as described in section 4 above.
- Restart VEGAS Pro, or choose Tools > Scripting > Rescan Script Menu Folder.
- Run the script from the Tools > Scripting menu.