Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 11/9/2017, 3:51 AM

There could be other reasons why the server cannot be contacted. Global conflict could interrupt internet traffic. Satellites can be knocked out of orbit, undersea cables cut, servers hacked.

Plus extreme weather events. I recall that a few months ago the Magix server was out for a while due to flooding in Berlin.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 11/10/2017, 7:45 PM

I see that on principal you feel you have a valid complaint but in real world use would it actually present a problem to you?

The software fault would appear to have become known to you because of your rigorous firewall security not allowing anything to contact the internet unless it has to such as your browser, but now that you know it crashes if firewalled can't you just allow it ?

The only programs (other than email and browser) allowed through my firewall are anti-virus software and I have doubts about them in that they may well increase vulnerabilities to attack because of the hooks they have in the system. I've read that having no anti-virus can make a system more stable and secure. One consideration when I buy software is that it doesn't need to phone home. I see it as a security and privacy issue. Gary claimed that the phone home should fail quietly and if so it can hardly be effective as an anti-piracy measure. So one wonders what it actually is doing. Magix are mute on the matter.

BUT you could also make the argument that you are paying for lifetime rights to use the software, but the software will become inoperable a month after not being able to contact licencing servers & that could mean a month after Magix goes out of business. That is a pain point for buyers that could affect sales

As EricLNZ noted servers could be down and that could potentially cause issues at any time, though under regular circumstances I guess the chance is small. But basically, software that stops working if it can't phone home is a kind of ransomware. Magix say Vegas doesn't do that but their own Eula contradicts them. That really strains my level of trust.

mluck wrote on 1/30/2018, 8:42 AM

I totally agree with "Kit-As-Was"! I am using vegas pro 15 on a laptop running win 8.1 with wifi problems and it can only connect via ethernet cable. So whenever I am not connected to that cable vegas crashes every time I try to save a project. This presents a huge problem because many of my clients need to meet with me at their offices to tweak the project edits but they have no ethernet connection for me to access. I am sure you can see the problem this causes. Tech support takes far too long to contact me back and the one time they did reply ( after several days) the advice they gave didn't stop the problem! I need a solution or I need a refund! 😬😬

VEGAS_EricD wrote on 1/30/2018, 11:35 AM

@mluck Please reply back with your ticket number for your support ticket so we can assist you further.

wjauch wrote on 1/30/2018, 5:25 PM

I totally agree with "Kit-As-Was"! I am using vegas pro 15 on a laptop running win 8.1 with wifi problems and it can only connect via ethernet cable. So whenever I am not connected to that cable vegas crashes every time I try to save a project. This presents a huge problem because many of my clients need to meet with me at their offices to tweak the project edits but they have no ethernet connection for me to access. I am sure you can see the problem this causes. Tech support takes far too long to contact me back and the one time they did reply ( after several days) the advice they gave didn't stop the problem! I need a solution or I need a refund! 😬😬

Not the ideal solution, but maybe buy a cheap USB Wifi card to take with that laptop to clients?

mluck wrote on 1/30/2018, 9:38 PM

My ticket # is [Ticket#2018012617000573] Thanks for any help.

mluck wrote on 2/5/2018, 6:25 AM

Ticket#2018012617000573 I've done everything that the tech support told me to do to to no avail! I've used the special administrator profile to reinstall but the same problem exists. I've even tried to use Vegas 15 edit with ethernet cable plugged in and the same problem exist. I don't understand why it takes technical support soooo many days to get back to you with a reply. Here's a link that shows the problem. It happens the same way every time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAHWocBuwlg

I hope in Vegas I save a project and upon the third saving of that project Vegas gives me the the message stating I have no license to use this software. Why does it let me save the first two times and then kick me out on the 3rd saving. I would think this would give technical support some kind of clue as to what's going on here. What if you guys send me a physical copy of the the software would that solve this problem? Isn't there some kind of error log file that I can forward to tech support.

JJKizak wrote on 2/5/2018, 10:50 AM

Ticket#2018012617000573 I've done everything that the tech support told me to do to to no avail! I've used the special administrator profile to reinstall but the same problem exists. I've even tried to use Vegas 15 edit with ethernet cable plugged in and the same problem exist. I don't understand why it takes technical support soooo many days to get back to you with a reply. Here's a link that shows the problem. It happens the same way every time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAHWocBuwlg

I hope in Vegas I save a project and upon the third saving of that project Vegas gives me the the message stating I have no license to use this software. Why does it let me save the first two times and then kick me out on the 3rd saving. I would think this would give technical support some kind of clue as to what's going on here. What if you guys send me a physical copy of the the software would that solve this problem? Isn't there some kind of error log file that I can forward to tech support.

That third saving of the exact same unmodified project might be one of the "Keys" that are used to determine if the software is legal. Just pure speculation here.

JJK

Marco. wrote on 2/5/2018, 11:01 AM

Please take a look into your Magix web account. Then see the "My Product" section, go to Vegas Pro 15 there and click onto "Further Details".

Does it show your computer as device there and is it mentioned as activated?

mluck wrote on 2/5/2018, 12:51 PM

Thanks Marco

I look at my product activations and Vegas Pro 15 what activated to this computer. So I deactivated it and then I disconnected my ethernet cable and opened Vegas Pro 15 on my computer and so far it hasn't kicked me out at all. Even though I've saved a project 10 times in a row. So I looked at the The Help menu to check to see if Vegas 15 was still activated on my laptop and it still shows as activated. I don't know what's going to happen when I reconnect the ethernet cable. But I'm going to leave a disconnected for now.

Robert-Starling wrote on 4/10/2020, 11:57 PM

Why are there no comments on this forum after 2/5/2018?

EricLNZ wrote on 4/11/2020, 2:57 AM

Why are you posting to a two year old thread? VP15 is now two versions old.