Comments

Former user wrote on 10/6/2017, 11:03 PM

I thought this was a curious comment. Vegas was always able to preview immediately, unless the file was more than your system could handle. Premiere and Final Cut were notorious for always having to render transitions before preview.

"I added a transition between two clips and was surprised that the preview showed me the transition immediately. I have not seen this in Vegas before."

Former user wrote on 10/7/2017, 1:41 AM

That guy isn't to be trusted. Didn't notice any bugs. Like all these reporters doing glowing positive reviews about newest lte apple watch not mentioning any bugs, then within 24 hours apple make a press release about the glaring bugs in the new lte apple watch software. They all just sold out for a free review copy and now have no credibility.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 10/7/2017, 7:02 PM

I'm still waiting to find out if the new version requires periodic verification or not. Magix haven't resolved the two license issue.

Kinvermark wrote on 10/7/2017, 9:28 PM

@Former user

I agree, that article is really no more than disappointing fluff. It does not represent any kind of balanced or analytical discussion of the product's pros and cons, and so tells you very little of use if you were trying to form an opinion. This is now typical of the internet, where the primary goal is to generate traffic not to inform. Journalism is (nearly) dead.

NickHope wrote on 10/7/2017, 10:34 PM

I'm still waiting to find out if the new version requires periodic verification or not. Magix haven't resolved the two license issue.

The moderators have been told that Vegas does not require periodic activation. However the following codecs require online additional activation the first time they are used. Therefore if you connect your PC to the internet especially to activate VEGAS, it is recommended to also make short renders in these formats before disconnecting:

• Intel HEVC/MAGIX ProRes
  • Magix AVC/AAC MP4
  • MainConcept MPEG-2
  • MP3 Audio
  • AAC Audio
  • Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio

Before disconnecting, I would also bring the rendered files back onto the timeline so they get decoded as well as encoded. I would also open files of any other formats that I work with (e.g. MXF, AVI), just to make sure.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 10/8/2017, 4:59 AM

Thanks for the information. Could the codecs cause Vegas to crash if they weren't activated? Do they only need activating once? My personal experience has been that Vegas crashes demanding activation it I don't use it for some time. If Vegas really doesn't need activating more than once unless updated then Magix really need to clear the situation up by changing the Eula. If they did I think I would upgrade but I'm still on the fence.

NickHope wrote on 10/8/2017, 6:23 AM

Could the codecs cause Vegas to crash if they weren't activated?

Yes.

Do they only need activating once?

Yes.

(answers are my best understanding based on what we've been told)

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/8/2017, 6:36 AM

The issue is also that nobody is aware that this codecs require activation - AFTER EVERY UPDATE!

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Former user wrote on 10/8/2017, 8:00 AM

By the sounds of it, it would be handy to have a ready made script/project file to "energise" all of these codecs each time we get an update.

JJKizak wrote on 10/8/2017, 8:25 AM

The moderators have been told that Vegas does not require periodic activation. However the following codecs require online additional activation the first time they are used. Therefore if you connect your PC to the internet especially to activate VEGAS, it is recommended to also make short renders in these formats before disconnecting:

• Intel HEVC/MAGIX ProRes
  • Magix AVC/AAC MP4
  • MainConcept MPEG-2
  • MP3 Audio
  • AAC Audio
  • Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio

Before disconnecting, I would also bring the rendered files back onto the timeline so they get decoded as well as encoded. I would also open files of any other formats that I work with (e.g. MXF, AVI), just to make sure.

In my opinion this function of Vegas is absolutely ridiculous. I'm at a loss for words on this issue.

JJK

altarvic wrote on 10/8/2017, 8:35 AM

Given that pirated copies of Vegas are released a few days after the official release (and they are fully functional), this "feature" is pointless.

Kinvermark wrote on 10/8/2017, 12:55 PM

Possibly a contractual requirement with the originators of those technologies?

The piracy does seem particularly rampant (and upsetting when you think of the negative effect it has on development and/or pricing) with Vegas. There were numerous YouTube videos advertising "free" patched versions within one day of the first release. Why doesn't YouTube (or anyone) police this? It is totally brazen.

Mindmatter wrote on 10/8/2017, 12:59 PM

I'm also dumbfounded to hear this, Nick. Why isn't that built into the activation process to begin with??

I does seem utterly prehistoric and nonsensical as it is presently handled.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

Kinvermark wrote on 10/8/2017, 1:34 PM

I can see that this is a problem for those who aren't connected to the internet at all times. Are there other limitations?

Anybody have any suggestions how Vegas can be made secure against piracy?

Len Kaufman wrote on 10/8/2017, 2:20 PM

Similar problem with Internet connectivity with Adobe. Though that is more of a monthly problem. Before every trip, I log in to Adobe to make sure I'll be able to use Photoshop while on an away job.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 10/8/2017, 7:45 PM

Similar problem with Internet connectivity with Adobe. Though that is more of a monthly problem. Before every trip, I log in to Adobe to make sure I'll be able to use Photoshop while on an away job.

But Adobe products are subscription based, so permanent connection to the internet is expected and required. One reason I gave up on Adobe. Vegas isn't. The problem I've had is that even without updating I find that if I don't use Vegas for a while it demands reactivation even though Help About clearly shows the program is licensed. This is a real nuisance and needs sorting out. I don't want to use any product that requires frequent or even sporadic connection to the internet to keep working.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/8/2017, 10:36 PM

I have reservations that what Nick says the Moderators have been told may not be really the true situation. It contradicts the EULA for a start.

Anyway I've started regularly checking my Vegas products in my Magix account and noting the "Last Activated On" date. I've ensured, following Nick's post, that all the codecs I am likely to need are activated. When they do you get a quick 'just a moment' splash screen (at least in MS14) as a phone home is made. A codec I unlocked yesterday hasn't altered my "Last Activated Date".

In a few months I should be able to tell whether there is a monthly phone home.

NickHope wrote on 10/9/2017, 12:46 AM

I have reservations that what Nick says the Moderators have been told may not be really the true situation. It contradicts the EULA for a start.

Anyway I've started regularly checking my Vegas products in my Magix account and noting the "Last Activated On" date. I've ensured, following Nick's post, that all the codecs I am likely to need are activated. When they do you get a quick 'just a moment' splash screen (at least in MS14) as a phone home is made. A codec I unlocked yesterday hasn't altered my "Last Activated Date".

In a few months I should be able to tell whether there is a monthly phone home.

I see my VP14 last activated on 10/08/2107. That's a USA format date, so it was yesterday. But I haven't installed a VP14 update since June, when the last build 270 was released. All my additional activation got done soon after I installed my last update. I haven't done any manual deactivation/activation.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/9/2017, 2:52 AM

I see my VP14 last activated on 10/08/2107. That's a USA format date, so it was yesterday. But I haven't installed a VP14 update since June, when the last build 270 was released. All my additional activation got done soon after I installed my last update. I haven't done any manual deactivation/activation.

So Clause 4 of the Magix Vegas EULA is active?

NickHope wrote on 10/9/2017, 6:07 AM
So Clause 4 of the Magix Vegas EULA is active?

Maybe. I can't think of another reason why it would have activated yesterday.

NickHope wrote on 10/9/2017, 6:12 AM

By the sounds of it, it would be handy to have a ready made script/project file to "energise" all of these codecs each time we get an update.

This is a good idea. It would only have to render a snippet of media with 5 codecs. Not 6 because I believe ProRes and HEVC get activated together. Maybe it could even delete the rendered media too, or render them direct to the recycle bin? Scripting gurus...?

john_dennis wrote on 10/9/2017, 9:54 AM

The whole process seems like more herky-jerky nonsense to further distract me from what I really need to do; get two more Blu-rays out the door.

altarvic wrote on 10/9/2017, 12:03 PM

This is a good idea. It would only have to render a snippet of media with 5 codecs. Not 6 because I believe ProRes and HEVC get activated together. Maybe it could even delete the rendered media too, or render them direct to the recycle bin? Scripting gurus...?

Download here: http://vegasaur.com/bin/scripts/Activate%20Renderers.cs

Former user wrote on 10/9/2017, 12:38 PM

I just ran it, the Dolby 5.1 came up.

Thanks Altarvic, really excellent.