Comments

j-v wrote on 11/13/2019, 4:53 PM

Than you get not many reactions, because people that uses W10 don't ever think about going back to 7 and people who still use W7 will deliberately not use W10.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
522.22 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 522.22 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

AnotherOne wrote on 11/13/2019, 5:04 PM

On Win7 you need to manually kill the "vegas170.exe" process each time after closing the Vegas, because it's still running. Personally, I don't know about any other issues or differences with VP17 on Win7 other than that.

fifonik wrote on 11/13/2019, 5:53 PM

@j-v is completely right. Most people who moved to W10 usually not looking back after a while.

So I do not think you will be able to find someone who use Vegas on both W7 and W10.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

fred-w wrote on 11/13/2019, 6:45 PM

@j-v is completely right. Most people who moved to W10 usually not looking back after a while.

So I do not think you will be able to find someone who use Vegas on both W7 and W10.

Thank you all!!

Wow, did I say/imply "use both currently?" (No, I did not).

How does one know people would not 'migrate back? ' Based on what? Your experience? if so, what it that experience? (Not trying to start an argument, btw, just fact/opinion gathering).

And I really don't care if someones opinion is one way or another....My question is basic, not LOADED.... If someone has used both, at any time, (and thanks, I do know about the "residue" vegas170.exe in task manager list, surprised that has not been looked addressed).... please opine....IS THERE any DIFFERENCE experientially, or in some way that can be measured.

Again, thanks in advance.

john_dennis wrote on 11/13/2019, 7:15 PM

I just loaded Vegas Pro 17 on my laptop which has Windows 10 Professional. I'm running Windows 7 Professional on my main workstation. I haven't made any definite plans to change to Windows 10 on that machine, though I expect to get it done by January 2020. I might load Vegas Pro 17 on Windows 7 just for grins.

VEGASPascal wrote on 11/14/2019, 1:19 AM

VEGAS 17 uses some features of Windows 10 (some improvements have been made in Windows 10, which also improves the stability of VEGAS). Some manufacturers no longer support Windows 7 and no longer solve driver problems. The upgrade is a good solution for performance and stability.

Trick for a (free) upgrade to Win10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Wolfgang S. wrote on 11/14/2019, 1:52 AM

Please, no quoting VP "requirements" lists. I ONLY want to hear from people who've run the program on BOTH Win 10 and Win 7,
THANKS in advancel

Regardless what you want, the official specification is that Vegas Pro 17 requires Windows 10. So either a user follows that, or takes the risk that unexpected issues may occure. As some have seen for AVCHD files recently:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/de/forum/vp-17-update-2-has-broken-my-mts-files--117791/

And I have here still Win7 but also Win10 machines. But I see no reason for me to install Vegas Pro 17 on a Win7 System.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

Rednroll wrote on 11/14/2019, 8:38 AM

VEGAS 17 uses some features of Windows 10 (some improvements have been made in Windows 10, which also improves the stability of VEGAS). Some manufacturers no longer support Windows 7 and no longer solve driver problems. The upgrade is a good solution for performance and stability.

Trick for a (free) upgrade to Win10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

For some odd reason unknown to me, some folks insist on staying with Windows 7. I really like Windows 10 and will never look back. It just seems so much more stable and snappier to me than Win7. I always find it funny that no one ever mentions Windows 8.1 which I also preferred over Windows 7, but in the minds of many it seems like it never existed. 😂

But yeah, Microsoft announced awhile back that support for Windows 7 has been dropped where I would not expect app developers to continue to support it. I'm sure all this is just a human nature thing. People tend to dislike change when something is working for them.

fr0sty wrote on 11/14/2019, 9:24 AM

I couldn't stand windows 8/8.1, but 10 is my fav since XP.

I know things like screen capture don't work right in windows 7, and as Pascal mentioned, there's other stability reasons why you would not want to run Vegas 17 on Win7.

Rednroll wrote on 11/14/2019, 10:04 AM

I couldn't stand windows 8/8.1, but 10 is my fav since XP.

I know you're not alone, many seemed to dislike Win8/8.1. I've been using Windows since Win 3.1 which I couldn't stand but then Win95 came out and I've been onboard ever since.

Every machine since my days of working with Win95 I've configured my PCs to look/feel just like my original Win95 setup regardless of what the current Win OS is out. I basically have found that when you 1st install any particular new Win OS, there is always the initial shock value and uncomfortable feel to it where by default things seem to be configured to display the new features and other features you were used to using are tucked away. Once you learn how to reconfigure the OS user interface to be setup to the way you're comfortable working, then I have found things to work very similar between all the Win OS versions. To me the things that change is stability has improved and past limitations of working with external devices, those limitations have been improved upon in the newer versions.

Therefore my Win95,Win98, Win2K, WinXP, Win7, Win8.1 and Win10 user interfaces and desktop look and function all the same to me but it does take me a few extra steps in figuring out how to get them configured that way. At work I had a Win7 and Win10 PC, at home I have multiple Win7, win8.1 and Win10 PCs. I'm comfortable working on any of them because I have taken the time to configure the user interface so they all look the same. So when someone says, they don't like a particular version of Windows I have a hard time understanding their difficulties and mostly assume they haven't taken the additional time to configure the user interface to be more like to what they are comfortable with.

For me Win 8.1 was a welcome step forward since it introduced App support as I was already used to using on my Android and iOS devices. Many people tended to hate that the start menu was gone, but I looked at it differently that the start menu wasn't really gone but instead the app selection screen had become an expanded functionality start menu.

This is my Win10 Desktop, it doesn't look much different than my original Win95 Desktop, just like my Win8.1 also looked just like this.

I really disliked when I initially installed VP16 and launched it. My initial reaction was that the user interface had gone all Adobe Premiere on me which I hated. My event selection highlighting was backwards, My editing view/timeline was on the bottom of the screen instead of on the top where it belonged, the Interface color strained my eyes. Then I started digging into the Preference menus and found all those things could be changed back to how I preferred. I feel it's similar to each Win OS release which comes out. If you don't take the time and just go with your initial shock value impression, then you're going to continue to dislike it.

JJKizak wrote on 11/14/2019, 11:08 AM

Windows 3.1 was the only OS I ever liked. It was all downhill after that.

JJK

Rednroll wrote on 11/14/2019, 12:02 PM

Windows 3.1 was the only OS I ever liked. It was all downhill after that.

JJK

LOL! Everyone has their initial reference points and preferences. Mine at the time of Win3.1 was that I had a DOS PC I was working on at home and I was using a Macintosh at a Studio I was working on with an actual Windows interface. So when Win 3.1 came out it was obviously targeted to be able to compete with the much better and simpler MAC Windows at the time compared to command line driven DOS. For me having been comfortable working on the Macintosh, Win3.1 fell way short and it wasn't until Win95 came out that I felt the gap was narrowed.

fred-w wrote on 11/14/2019, 12:04 PM

Please, no quoting VP "requirements" lists. I ONLY want to hear from people who've run the program on BOTH Win 10 and Win 7,
THANKS in advancel

Regardless what you want, the official specification is that Vegas Pro 17 requires Windows 10. So either a user follows that, or takes the risk that unexpected issues may occure. As some have seen for AVCHD files recently:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/de/forum/vp-17-update-2-has-broken-my-mts-files--117791/

And I have here still Win7 but also Win10 machines. But I see no reason for me to install Vegas Pro 17 on a Win7 System.

Thank you for the "school marm" vantage point!! Much appreciated.......eye roll ensuing.

Rednroll wrote on 11/14/2019, 12:50 PM

Thank you for the "school marm" vantage point!! Much appreciated.......eye roll ensuing.

Is there a particular reason you're asking?

There's already been a couple problems noted for VP17 running on Win 7.

I'll just add my perspective. I work in software development. Ideally, you would like for your software to work perfectly regardless of the OS version but the problem becomes with any type of software development is that these are very complex intertwined integrations where managing development time and resources becomes a major challenge. You also have to realize as a software developer that with any OS you're developing a program to work on, you have zero control over any changes the owner of the OS makes and support they will provide in return when you run into a problem. Anyways, you end up having to make a decision of developing towards a target which will have the biggest benefit to your customer base as well as for your future roadmap development efforts. At this time that target is Windows 10. Supporting multiple OS versions means you not only have to develop the software for those OSes ,but you are also have to test the software, identify bugs and then fix those bugs for each OS version and yes, each OS version can have associated bugs that are present on one OS version and not the other as already noted. This all adds up to time and money. That time and money to pay all those developers and testers gets built into the price of the end product and if you end up only having 10% of your customers wishing to work on an older no longer supported by the owner of the OS, then you are not developing very wisely and are now going down a path of going out of business. Even Microsoft, one of the largest companies in the world who have way more development resources than a S/W development company like Magix ever will, had to draw a hard line and state that they are no longer going to be continuing to support future development on Windows 7 or providing any technical support for developers who wish to develop apps running on Windows 7. In other words, they're not going to pay developers money to continue to work on an OS that only 10% of their entire user base chooses to work on. It's a money losing effort with zero return on future development.

In other words, if you would like to run VP17 on Windows 7 you are free to do so. However, you do so at your own risk because it has not been tested by the testing resources and it has not been developed to work optimally without bugs by the development resources, and bugs will not be fixed or supported when you encounter them. Just because someone gets upset about that reality, they are not going to change that reality unless they pull out Millions of dollars to do so, to be able to pay for all those people resources. It's easy to complain when you're not paying the bill and a few purchases of VP17 at $700 each for those hoping to continue working on the Win7 OS is not going to pay that bill.

I've worked on software developments which are much less complicated than Vegas, running on a single OS which costs on average $60 Million/year to pay all the salaries for the development people working on them. Now divide that by the number of copies of VP17 will sell to Windows 7 users, and it's simple to understand the reasons Magix decided to not support Windows 7. They would lose money doing so.

john_dennis wrote on 11/14/2019, 1:37 PM

“Technology is a one-way trip.”

John Dennis, 1976-2019

fred-w wrote on 11/14/2019, 1:38 PM

Is there a particular reason you're asking?

Yes, I am running on Win 7, I "upgraded" about two years ago to Win 10, was horrified by the experience, (so I went back to 7), especially the "lock down" of user accessible tweaks and the intrusive, data mining aspects, the clunkiness of the default, phone like, interface (I do understand that at least some of the aforementioned you are able to defeat, work around, reconfigure, etc, and BTW, how hard is that to accomplish and what about the intrusive nature of Win 10, can that be pummeled into submission?) and I started down that road, but I did not have the time, at that time), and I want to know, in the aggregate, what advantage, if any, am I missing out on from running on Win 10. That is WHY "user experience" is important to me. I already know what the developer recommends. I'm not here for a lecture. I am also running a home network and my other main machine is Win 7 and I have an older, but still well functioning laptop running xp... and so, I'm also not certain about the effect of introducing one Win 10 machine, networking in the Win environment can absolutely be a PITA, and I've had my network running fairly smoothly in the recent pass and I'm not looking for any surprises in that regard either (maybe some can comment on that aspect?).

I am running VP17 fairly successfully on Win 7, as well as Adobe Suite, but you don't know what you don't know, and so I'm asking.

I "get it" from the developer stand point, and you are correct to point that out, but I certainly have already understood ALL of that, that is why I asked for zero "lectures" of the type already alluded to, and I smelled that coming from a mile away because of certain "personality" tendencies.

I like Vegas to the point that I almost wish it was running in an even more "neutral" OS in the Linux family. That I would invest time into.

Thank you, again, everyone who's share their "real life" experience. I still have not heard, at least much, about any sort of "measurable" distinction in the program, screen capture was mentioned (thank you) and a few vagaries.

fr0sty wrote on 11/14/2019, 1:44 PM

Your question was already answered by multiple sources. Stability is affected in Windows 7, some features do not work properly at all, like screen capture, and there is no more windows 7 support for many drivers that would improve compatibility, so if there's a rendering crash and your GPU driver is at fault, you'll be S.O.L. and upgrading will be the only path to fixing the issue.

So, while it does work in windows 7, use at your own risk, don't expect support if something goes wrong, and expect things to go wrong.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

VEGASDerek wrote on 11/14/2019, 1:59 PM

We usually do not like to comment too much on debates like this, but here are the hard facts on our decision to drop official Windows 7 (and 8.1) support...

• The VEGAS users who use Windows 7 has dropped sharply in the last year. It stands at less than 10%. (And Windows 8.1 is less than 3%.)
  • Microsoft's extended support of Windows 7 ends in just a few months
  • Driver support and OS support that is required for many of the new (and requested) features that we are working on is not available on Windows 7 (or 8.1).
  • The time and resources needed to support 3 operating systems is significant not just for engineering, but also (maybe even more significantly) for our QA operations.
  • We have debated Windows 7 support in each of the two previous releases and decided to hold on to it, even though our competitors had given up support.
  • We are not preventing users from installing and running on Windows 7, even though we do not support it. This is not our normal practice. We typically will prevent the software from running on unsupported operating systems.
  • It is very likely that a hard enforcement of the Windows 10 requirement will be in place in the next major version of VEGAS Pro.

Trust me when I say that we did think long and hard about this. In the end, even though we knew we would get some significant blow back from a number of our customers, we felt that we really did need to "cut the cord". This legacy support was holding back development of some important new features and improvements.

john_dennis wrote on 11/14/2019, 2:01 PM

I was a Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 beta tester. I never ran 8.1 since I was happy with 7. When 10 was free to upgrade, I upgraded all my systems, saved the images and put 7 back on the machines. I’m currently converting (upgrade?) all machines to 10 in anticipation of future lack of security updates. I started with the machines that sit on the Internet 24/7.

A lot of changes have happened since 10 was first in general availability. Yes, I’m weary with it. Especially since they used to pay me to do that crap and now they don’t.

I’m over it and I’d recommend that everyone else get over it, too.

fred-w wrote on 11/14/2019, 3:34 PM

We usually do not like to comment too much on debates like this, but here are the hard facts on our decision to drop official Windows 7 (and 8.1) support...

• The VEGAS users who use Windows 7 has dropped sharply in the last year. It stands at less than 10%. (And Windows 8.1 is less than 3%.)
  •  

Which feedback mechanism do you use to determine that percentage? I don't remember being polled on that question.

Why "hard lock?" Why not just say "use at your own discretion" knowing it is not "recommended." I run on more than one machine, which I know I want to keep a Win7 machine for other things as well. I'm not really in favor of nanny state, draconian anything. Win 10 seems to force a lot on the user, top down. Am i wrong about that?

Anyway, thanks for weighing in.

BTW @fr0sty and others who sometimes do the same, It may be true that this subject has been covered. It is also true that things evolve, more people have more experienced, more varied, through time, reflection, new hardware/software realities. Why do people want to make a Forum so "static?" That I never understood. If one is saying, "btw, others have weighed in on such and such, check that out as well" - that I would "get" more than, "we've covered this all before."

Also, I am running "fairly" stable, more crashes than I'd like, but I see many having, ostensibly anyway, many more problems than I'm having. Is the assumption that none of this stems from Win 10? That Win 10 itself is not the source of at least some problems?

I'm not suggesting that the developers need to keep current with Win 7, but a lock out is ALWAYS, for me, a bad idea. Many people use these programs (not just talking about Vegas) in a very limited scope, and understand, very well, the 'risks,' and it works WELL, within the context of what they'd need that program for. Why DENY such a user that opportunity, what is the "upside" for the developer? IOW, isn't both/and better than either/or?? That part I don't get.

EricLNZ wrote on 11/14/2019, 4:48 PM

Which feedback mechanism do you use to determine that percentage? I don't remember being polled on that question.

Possibly from info picked up on product activation.

Ralf wrote on 11/14/2019, 5:01 PM

The only issue I have is the program not terminating properly in W7. I really don't care for that. It means a complete download for an update and that makes me nervous --- irrationally so, but part of me suspects the download link not to work... The tiny fine print advising me W7 wasn't supported before I paid my money ($500-ish hard won dollars) makes everything taste like ashes now in relation to Vegas.

Not happy.

fifonik wrote on 11/14/2019, 5:55 PM

I'm not suggesting that the developers need to keep current with Win 7, but a lock out is ALWAYS, for me, a bad idea. Many people use these programs (not just talking about Vegas) in a very limited scope, and understand, very well, the 'risks,' and it works WELL, within the context of what they'd need that program for. Why DENY such a user that opportunity, what is the "upside" for the developer? IOW, isn't both/and better than either/or?? That part I don't get.

As developer myself I completely understand their reasons.

- Simplify codebase. No millions of checks in the code as program should not just hang/terminate, but it should say something (alert, log, etc) and not leave the OS in failed state (OS restart might be required if some GPU resources not released or some workers might be still executing in background).

- No more outdated dependencies that might cause issues for currently supported OS

- No additional testing required

- Less support (Do you think people will read requirements? They will call/email!)

- Modern features available in new OS can be used (DX12 for example). Old OS might not have such features at all without adding even more outdated dependencies.

- Some optimisations cannot be used as they are not supported in old OS. As a result, the program is slower on new OS (different executables might be supplied for different OS but this increases testing/support cost).

So in my opinion old OS should only be supported while:

- There are still quite big user base

- It is not holding back or making too complicated further development

I think this information sent automatically during "call to the base" requests that VP using for activation re-checks.

And I bet this is described in license agreement :)

Last changed by fifonik on 11/14/2019, 6:00 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

fred-w wrote on 11/14/2019, 8:07 PM

As developer myself I completely understand their reasons.

- Simplify codebase. No millions of checks in the code as program should not just hang/terminate, but it should say something (alert, log, etc) and not leave the OS in failed state (OS restart might be required if some GPU resources not released or some workers might be still executing in background).

- No more outdated dependencies that might cause issues for currently supported OS

- No additional testing required

- Less support (Do you think people will read requirements? They will call/email!)

- Modern features available in new OS can be used (DX12 for example). Old OS might not have such features at all without adding even more outdated dependencies.

- Some optimisations cannot be used as they are not supported in old OS. As a result, the program is slower on new OS (different executables might be supplied for different OS but this increases testing/support cost).

So in my opinion old OS should only be supported while:

- There are still quite big user base

- It is not holding back or making too complicated further development

I think this information sent automatically during "call to the base" requests that VP using for activation re-checks.

And I bet this is described in license agreement :)

Sir or Madam ex-developer,

Why the litany of what the developer must do??? We'd discussed that, we assume all of that. According to my request, or wish for the future, that point it MOOT.

I said, in effect, the understanding/implied agreement would be that YOU, the developer DON'T need to develop for ME; the developer NEED NOT maintain the old OS., the developer has properly warned the user, and the user accepts whatever risks/deficiencies.....(was I not clear?) just don't lock me out....(is that too hard to understand?,)