audio declipped plugin - recommended one

marcinzm wrote on 2/19/2021, 11:52 PM

Hello,

I am looking for Declipped audio plugin.

I see in VP18 is "Clipped Peak Restoration". I think it is the same as Declipped plugin I would like to apply.

Do you recommend using this plugin or maybe you recommend some another one which is better than built-in VP18.

Thank you in advance for you help

Regards

Marcin

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 2/20/2021, 12:24 AM

For many years, I've used iZotope's De-Clip from its RX product - it's in both RX Standard and Advanced but also comes as a VST plugin so can be used as an Audio Event FX in Vegas Pro as well as Sound Forge Pro and other vst compatible NLEs and DAWs. This is not to say that the de-clipper in Vegas Pro is not good or useful (a long time since I've used it), its just that I use the RX de-clipper by habit as I find the results very satisfactory.

iZotope's De-Clip also comes with their entry level RX product: RX Elements which, I just noticed, is currently on sale for $29.00 USD ($100 USD off) https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/rx-8-elements.html . It might be worth consideration.

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Windows 10 Home

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

D drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

E & F drives: 2 x 2TB Barracuda HDDs 2.5"

marcinzm wrote on 2/20/2021, 12:48 AM

I purchased Izotope RX 8 Elements on Black Friday. I see De-Clip plugin in iZotopoe RX 8 Element standalone application, but I don`t see this plugin in Vegas Pro 18. What am I doing wrong? I have clicked VST plugin during installation. How to make all izotopoe plugins available in VP18?

marcinzm wrote on 2/20/2021, 12:54 AM

I have done this:

and it worked.

marcinzm wrote on 2/20/2021, 12:56 AM

@Dexcon can you paste the screenshot of your De-Clip plugin settings applied for narration?

Dexcon wrote on 2/20/2021, 2:52 AM

@marcinzm  ... Here tis:

This is in RX7 Advanced which is where I do the finishing touches and some of the clean-up work for VOs. I use the high quality De-Clip setting with the post-limiter checked. Then its a only a matter of highlighting the waveform and then clicking on the Suggest button so that RX does all the hard work. What I didn't realise is that the Suggest function is not part of the plugin process so it would unfortunately be a manual process in Vegas Pro (mainly because I do all that in RX). My usual process if I need to tweak an audio track such as background location audio is to send it to Sound Forge Pro, save it as a wav file and then do any editing, repairing, FXing and so on in Sound Forge Pro and/or RX Adv - and then save and replace the old audio event with the new one. I just get more control over the audio that way I think. I know it means more steps but .wav files are relatively small and it is for me so much easier working in the Sound Forge Pro and RX workspaces.

With VOs, they're recorded section-by-section to Sound Forge Pro where each section is edited (to get the best bits from each take) and initial clean up is done. They're then imported into RX where the repair work like De-Clip, De-click and so on is done. An advantage of doing it this way is that if the project is also saved in RX as an .rxdoc project file, the edit history is retained - i.e its non-destructive editing.

I am reasonably certain that others on the forum use RX Elements so they might chip in with an opinion about the product.

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Windows 10 Home

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

D drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

E & F drives: 2 x 2TB Barracuda HDDs 2.5"

walter-i. wrote on 2/20/2021, 6:37 AM

Thank you, @Dexcon for these accurate insights into your work process - very appreciated.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630, driver: 27.20.100.9126)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER, (driver 460.89)
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Monitor: HP243i 1920x1200 / BenQ G2200W 1680x1050
NLE: Vegas Pro11-15+17,18 Heroglyph4, RespeedR
Camcorder: Pana HDC SD909, Sony FDR-AX53

rraud wrote on 2/20/2021, 8:46 AM

The NR-2 suite in Sound Forge has a 'Clipped peak restoration' tool which works good for occasional overs, the same with RX Elements . Input stage analog clipping is another matter, and often cannot be fixed w/o horrible artifacts. RX Advanced or SpectraLayers Pro can in some cases help analog clipping.