(FAQ) How can I reset VEGAS Pro to default settings?

NickHope wrote on 11/25/2016, 5:40 AM

If VEGAS Pro is behaving strangely you can try resetting it to the default settings. You may also wish to do this in order to reconfigure VEGAS from scratch.

If you have worked hard on configuring personalised settings then back up your C: drive before you do this so you can restore them if this doesn't help.

Reset as follows:

1. Close VEGAS Pro
  2. Press CTRL+SHIFT on your keyboard while double-clicking the program's shortcut icon on the desktop to launch it *.
  3. Continue holding CTRL+SHIFT down until you see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?"
  4. Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click "Yes".
  5. For older products, continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully loaded.

* - Note that you will not see the "Delete all cached application data" box if you open the program from the Windows Start Menu or programs list or Taskbar.

More help with resetting VEGAS to default settings is available here.

Comments

NickHope wrote on 11/25/2016, 5:40 AM

Please send me corrections or additions to this by personal message. You may add them in a comment here but comments may be deleted later as this is an "FAQ" post.

fan-boy wrote on 2/19/2019, 7:55 PM

Seems Vegas "poles" the detection of key press Ctrl-Shift , when Vegas is launching . Thus sometimes Vegas "Misses" the key press . I reset rarely , but it works best to repeatedly press : Ctrl-Shift , let go , Ctrl-Shift , let go , Ctrl-Shift let go , maybe up to 5 times , until the reset Message Box appears . If Vegas Splash screen appears , then nothing happened . Close Vegas and try again .

Musicvid wrote on 2/19/2019, 8:05 PM

That's pretty much a Windows quirk, which can be annoying if you're in a hurry.

Happens a lot in Photoshop, also.

While holding Ctrl, add Shift, then click Whatever. Works reliably on my keyboard.

Eagle Six wrote on 2/20/2019, 1:51 PM

Left click once the shortcut to highlight, then 'Ctrl+Shift' + double left click, works every time for me.

System Specs......
Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 (overclocked 20%)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 boot drive
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD - video work drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - video work drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive

Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 10 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 pb2
SVP13, MVP15, MVP16, SMSP13, MVMS15, MVMSP15, MVMSP16

douglas-hess wrote on 4/12/2020, 4:29 PM

I have uninstalled and clean installed 10 times. I have tried all of the tricks and what happens is, it works perfect for like two days. I don't even turn the computer off and re-launch and it sticks on Creating Windows and then crashes with the exact same list as in the original message. This is ridiculous.

vkmast wrote on 4/12/2020, 4:34 PM

Uninstalling and reinstalling is not the same as resetting the software to default settings. Please start a new thread for your issue.

@douglas-hess

Musicvid wrote on 4/12/2020, 4:35 PM

@douglas-hess

Feel free to start your own thread, this is a general FAQ, not support for your particular issue. Thanks for understanding.

Reginald-Hartt wrote on 7/3/2020, 2:19 PM

I am having the same problem with audio. This is a BIG bummer. Previous versions (16, 14) work fine. This is an issue with 17.

Reginald-Hartt wrote on 7/3/2020, 2:21 PM

Tried to reach online support to send files. Got on a merry-go-round that goes nowhere. VERY frustrating.

EricLNZ wrote on 7/3/2020, 6:52 PM

@Reginald-Hartt What problem are you having? This is a thread about resetting.

Suggest you start your own new thread and someone may be able to hep you.

Reginald-Hartt wrote on 7/3/2020, 8:52 PM

I started looking for a solution to my sound problem which led me here. Resetting was offered as a fix. Tried to do that and have so far failed. Have also failed to get feedback from Magix.

brenda-oBB wrote on 11/20/2020, 12:12 PM

I have uninstalled and clean installed 10 times. I have tried all of the tricks and what happens is, it works perfect for like two days. I don't even turn the computer off and re-launch and it sticks on Creating Windows and then crashes with the exact same list as in the original message. This is ridiculous.

I have had the exact same problem for three years across multiple devices and multiple "fixes". Trying this "fix" now.

wdemers wrote on 12/23/2020, 11:42 PM

The CTRL SHIFT solution worked for me. Thank you all!

Little_Green_Dog wrote on 1/3/2021, 8:34 PM

Man, I tonight I had trouble importing absolutely anything into Vegas 18--any container or codec would be ignored or would crash Vegas. This problem started with just a few file types a couple of sessions ago, and it grew progressively worse each time.

Resetting Vegas with Ctrl-Shift-Launch did the trick, and so far Vegas 18 is running better than it ever has for me.

Thanks guys!

Billy wrote on 6/23/2021, 1:26 PM

The above procedure did not work for me. the program crashed everytime while I was holding the Ctrl-Shft key. Instead, I clicked on the icon to start Vegas, as soon as the splash screen showed up, I held the Ctrl key, then started tapping on the shift key. Only then did the reset menu show up for me and this process worked from the start menu icon.

Wendy-Godfrey wrote on 10/25/2021, 7:32 PM

The control-shift thing does not work for me. The splash screen comes up and the program crashes before anything can happen. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, nothing works. Very frustrating as this program worked great at first. Then one day, it just wouldn't work.

RogerS wrote on 10/25/2021, 9:25 PM

Did you try it by double-clicking the icon on the desktop? Also make sure that when you right-click the program icon it is not set to run as an administrator. That prevents the reset from working.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark: https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark: https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Werner-Binder wrote on 4/27/2022, 5:27 AM

If VEGAS Pro is behaving strangely you can try resetting it to the default settings. You may also wish to do this in order to reconfigure VEGAS from scratch.

If you have worked hard on configuring personalised settings then back up your C: drive before you do this so you can restore them if this doesn't help.

Reset as follows:

1. Close VEGAS Pro
  2. Press CTRL+SHIFT on your keyboard while double-clicking the program's shortcut icon on the desktop to launch it *.
  3. Continue holding CTRL+SHIFT down until you see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?"
  4. Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click "Yes".
  5. For older products, continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully loaded.

* - Note that you will not see the "Delete all cached application data" box if you open the program from the Windows Start Menu or programs list.

Werner-Binder wrote on 4/27/2022, 5:28 AM

Works perfectly. Thanks a lot.👍👌

paul-guerin wrote on 9/12/2023, 8:03 AM

Bonjour. J'ai attendu avant d'avoir lu la solution de Magix Vegas. Ils m'ont bien répondu mais de façon incomplète, sans préciser qu'il fallait rester appuyé sur ctrl/shift. Ce que pas mal d autres sites oublient de préciser également. Bref ! J ai retrouvé mes pics. Alors merci "werner-binder" et merci le forum

rob36 wrote on 11/28/2023, 12:02 PM

Reset as follows:

1. Close VEGAS Pro

* - Note that you will not see the "Delete all cached application data" box if you open the program from the Windows Start Menu or programs list.

This answer should be in a FAQ's page. I never had certain files just not open before. Not all but some as new as last month. This resetting did the trick. Now if I could get back the few hours I have spent trying to open them!

vkmast wrote on 11/28/2023, 1:47 PM

Forum for VEGAS Pro Important Posts >

MORE IMPORTANT POSTS - Please read this first! >

VEGAS Pro FAQs and TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDES >

item 14. How can I reset VEGAS Pro to default settings? Follow the steps in this post. That takes you to

(FAQ) How can I reset VEGAS Pro to default settings?

Due to too many pinned "Important Posts" the decision was made last year to create one master pinned post that links to the other important posts. Maybe it could be considered to have this main FAQs post pinned again under "Important Posts" on the VEGAS Pro forum for quicker access as it does contain (currently) more than 40 useful FAQs including this very often quoted resetting topic. @NickHope ?

michael-harrison wrote on 11/28/2023, 6:35 PM

@vkmast "* - Note that you will not see the "Delete all cached application data" box if you open the program from the Windows Start Menu or programs list."

This should also include the Taskbar.

When started from these areas, does "Delete all cached application data" default to "yes?"

System 1:

Windows 10
i9-10850K 10 Core
128.0G RAM
Nvidia GTX 1660 Studio [most likely latest]
Resolution        1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Video Memory 6G GDDR5

System 2:

Lenovo Yoga 720
Core i7-7700 2.8Ghz quad core, 8 logical
16G ram
Intel HD 630 gpu 1G vram
Nvidia GTX 1050 gpu 2G vram

EricLNZ wrote on 11/28/2023, 6:43 PM

@vkmast "* - Note that you will not see the "Delete all cached application data" box if you open the program from the Windows Start Menu or programs list."

This should also include the Taskbar.

When started from these areas, does "Delete all cached application data" default to "yes?"

@michael-harrison Yes that is mentioned in Nick's FAQ.

As for your question my impression is it doesn't default to yes. Cached Application Data is let untouched.