Comments

NormanPCN wrote on 12/8/2016, 11:48 PM

What's the file container type? MP4, MOV, other? Maybe post a MediaInfo report to give some information on your file.

Cobra44Magnum wrote on 12/9/2016, 8:04 AM

It's an MP4. Here is an export of MediaInfo for this file. In case it matters, this file was generated by a DJI Phantom 4 Professional camera drone. The file plays flawlessly on my Windows 10 machine.

General
Complete name                            : E:\Drone\2016-12-04 Ranch Distance Run (P4P)\DJI_0018.MP4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : JVT
Codec ID                                 : avc1 (avc1/isom)
File size                                : 3.81 GiB
Duration                                 : 5 min 28 s
Overall bit rate                         : 99.8 Mb/s
Comment                                  : DE=None, Mode=P

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main@L5@High
Codec ID                                 : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration                                 : 5 min 27 s
Bit rate                                 : 100.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.402
Stream size                              : 3.81 GiB (100%)
Title                                    : DJI.HVC
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Other
Type                                     : meta
Duration                                 : 5 min 28 s
Default                                  : No
Bit rate mode                            : VBR

NormanPCN wrote on 12/9/2016, 1:03 PM

There are a couple of items that look a little strange in that info. Its the whole listing?

"Codec ID                                 : avc1 (avc1/isom)"

I am not sure why avc1 is up there in the file header. avc1 is for AVC files and not HEVC files. The isom is common and normal.

I don't know what the "Other meta" stream is at the bottom

From reading posts on this forum the Vegas HEVC decoder has been kinda finiky. Maybe it is confused by the avc1 in the header and complaining about that. Maybe it should ignore that file header item since the ID in the video stream header is correct and that is the one that really matters. Maybe the meta stream is confusing the Vegas decoder.

Those are my thoughts. Have you contacted Magix support yet?

I don't have a DJI media file but I can load HEVC MP4 files into Vegas 14 that have been generated by ffmpeg based utilities.

You could try remuxing the file with ffmpeg or something else. That should get rid of the avc1 in the file header which can help to see if that is a workaround until Magix can truely sort the issue. Here is a Windows batch file that you can drag and drop file(s) onto and it will remux the file. The new file has the same name as the source with an _mux appended. Change the path to whereever you unzip ffmpeg. Zeranoe is a good place to get an ffmpeg binary. You can name the batch remux_hevc.cmd. Any name is fine. You just want cmd or bat as the file extension.

@echo off

:top
c:\systools\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -c:v copy -c:a copy -chunk_size 64K "%~dpn1_mux.mp4"
if errorlevel 1 goto error

shift
if NOT %1$==$ goto top
goto :EOF

:error
echo !!! error encoding !!!
pause

Cobra44Magnum wrote on 12/9/2016, 3:08 PM

That's everything that was in the export file. I went back and checked the "Advanced" box but MediaInfo output the same data. Below is a MediaInfo export of an H.264 file from the same drone. It appears to have more information in it. I have not contacted support yet but that will be my next step. Just wanted to try the forum first. Thank you for the observations/thoughts and the information about ffmpeg.

General
Complete name                            : E:\Drone\2016-11-06 JCWMA Camp Area\DJI_0802.MP4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : JVT
Codec ID                                 : avc1 (avc1/isom)
File size                                : 1.37 GiB
Duration                                 : 3 min 15 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 60.0 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-11-06 10:11:52
Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-11-06 10:11:52
Comment                                  : 0.91.142
©xyz                                     : +35.041462-95.479394+3.000
©xsp                                     : +0.00
©ysp                                     : +0.00
©zsp                                     : +0.00
©fpt                                     : +4.80
©fyw                                     : -51.90
©frl                                     : +0.30
©gpt                                     : +0.00
©gyw                                     : -51.10
©grl                                     : +0.00

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=8
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 3 min 15 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 60.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.241
Stream size                              : 1.37 GiB (100%)
Title                                    : DJI.AVC
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-11-06 10:11:52
Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-11-06 10:11:52
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

NormanPCN wrote on 12/12/2016, 9:26 PM

In another thread the OP made a sample file available. I copiped the text of my response from there to here.

I downloaded and tried the file. Vegas does think the file is AVC. Probably for the reasons I mentioned in your other thread on this topic.

This is the text from a right click on the media file in Vegas, choosing properties and then looking at the general tab. compoundplug in the Vegas code used for general MP4+AVC file input.

Plug-In
  Name: compoundplug.dll
  Folder: C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\compoundplug
  Format: AVC
  Version: Version 14.0 (Build 201) 64-bit
  Company: MAGIX Computer Products Intl. Co.

The ffmeg remux command I mentioned in the other thread does fix this until MAGIX gets this fully sorted. I don't think DJI should be outputting the avc1 ID in the file header since avc1 indicates AVC video. The video stream correctly lists hvc1. Still DJI stuff is out there and people need it to work so Vegas should compensate.

If your DJI can output MOV files that may work around this issue more directly.

Kinvermark wrote on 12/12/2016, 10:32 PM

I couldn't get anything to open this file.  Not windows 10, gopro studio, premiere pro, vegas 13,14...  what NLE DOES open the file?  (just curious).   Maybe DJI needs a firmware update.

NormanPCN wrote on 12/12/2016, 10:48 PM

Windows 10 media player did play the file for me. Still laggy but it's high bitrate HEVC so that's realistically expected.

VLC tried to play, just got a couple of still images, but VLC has problems with any high bitrate HEVC file I've tried.

Vegas 13 should not be able to open the file. It has no HEVC support. Same for GoPro studio. No idea what version of PP supports HEVC if at all.

Kinvermark wrote on 12/12/2016, 10:56 PM

So the question that comes to mind is what NLE do DJI expect/recommend people to use to edit this footage?  Seems a bit "bleeding edge" doesn't it?

set wrote on 12/13/2016, 12:05 AM

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArIFEVg5KvU7i5oqm2eshe7tXc5p8Q

The link that OP post on other thread.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Cobra44Magnum wrote on 12/13/2016, 8:13 AM

I will try using the MOV format with H.265 and also use ffmeg to remux my existing files. I'm glad to see that the issue is not with all H.265 files. BTW, I have a post in a DJI forum and the only suggestion so far has been to try MOV format. I may open a ticket with their support over the video file header but not sure it will be high on their list.

I appreciate everyone's input and I will post my results - hopefully tonight.

NormanPCN wrote on 12/13/2016, 5:59 PM

So the question that comes to mind is what NLE do DJI expect/recommend people to use to edit this footage?  Seems a bit "bleeding edge" doesn't it?

I don't think anyone is going to "edit" high bitrate HEVC on most any PC. It is going to be very laggy. You will probably always want to transcode to something else like CineForm, DNxHR or Prores or a low overhead AVC variant. HEVC can never be low overhead.

DJI is probably trying to use HEVC to fit more footage time onto the limited flash card capacity.

Kinvermark wrote on 12/13/2016, 7:43 PM

Agreed.  So do they have a transcoder of some kind that the OP should be using?  ...looks like maybe they have a prores transcoder of some sort, but I can't be bothered to wade through that forum. One is enough :)

Cobra44Magnum wrote on 12/13/2016, 8:49 PM

Okay, shooting the video in MOV works (simply renaming the MP4 file to MOV did not). It also worked after I remuxed it using ffmpeg. However, even though all of these videos play flawlessly with the built-in Windows 10 video app, they bring my machine to its knees in Vegas Pro 14. Its worse than a slide show and all CPU cores max out at 100%. My machine has an Intel Core i7-3960X 3.30 GHz (6 cores/12 logical processors) with 64 GB of RAM and the disk subsystem is a 4-drive RAID 0 array of Samsung SSDs. For most things it rocks the house!

Bottom line is that even though I have a solution, I don't think I'll be using H.265 unless I find some way to edit them without going through too many hoops. I do very much appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Thank you all.

NickHope wrote on 12/13/2016, 9:31 PM

You may be able to improve the playback with some of these steps. Personally I would probably use proxies (as Set suggested on the other thread) but I might go for Cineform or XAVC-intra intermediates. If you use proxies, consider Vegasaur and also check out the extra scripts provided by Altarvic in this thread.

set wrote on 12/13/2016, 9:46 PM

Thanks Nik... better copy-pasted the suggestion here as well... (please everyone - minimize the double posting / reply / comment... - thank you in advance):

Right click on these media in Project Media tab, and 'Create Video Proxy'. The preview will use the proxy, but the rendering process will use the full original quality.

Last changed by set on 12/13/2016, 9:46 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Cobra44Magnum wrote on 12/13/2016, 9:50 PM

Thank you for the link to you FAQ. I will definitely look into those settings even though the proxy worked great. Nice to have several options to work with. I appreciate all your contributions to this site.

altarvic wrote on 12/16/2016, 3:14 AM

I don't think DJI should be outputting the avc1 ID in the file header since avc1 indicates AVC video.

I agree. The header is nonstandard. After I changed ftyp atom from avc1 to mp42, Vegas has successfully opened the file.

NickHope wrote on 12/16/2016, 4:09 AM
I agree. The header is nonstandard. After I changed ftyp atom from avc1 to mp42, Vegas has successfully opened the file.

How did you do that?

altarvic wrote on 12/16/2016, 5:14 AM

Hex Editor

sunderlandgreen wrote on 2/21/2017, 10:34 PM

From Sony Vegas Pro specification official page, I find that Vegas Pro can export H.265 codec, but not import H.265 codec.

Supported formats by Sony Vegas Pro 14

Import

4K XAVC S, 4K XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAM Optical, DV, HDV, AVCHD, NXCAM, MOV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, Surround Sound/5.1, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR-, DPX- and WDP image sequences

Export

DVD, Blu-ray Disc, AVCHD Disc, (DV-)AVI, MJPEG, MXF, MOV, WMV, XAVC, XAVC S, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, WAV, MP3, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR- , DPX- and WDP image sequences

Maybe you will need a H.265 converter to transcode H.265 to any of Vegas Pro supported editing codec.

BruceUSA wrote on 2/22/2017, 10:12 AM

What's the file container type? MP4, MOV, other? Maybe post a MediaInfo report to give some information on your file.

From Sony Vegas Pro specification official page, I find that Vegas Pro can export H.265 codec, but not import H.265 codec.

Import

4K XAVC S, 4K XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAM Optical, DV, HDV, AVCHD, NXCAM, MOV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, Surround Sound/5.1, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR-, DPX- and WDP image sequences

Export

DVD, Blu-ray Disc, AVCHD Disc, (DV-)AVI, MJPEG, MXF, MOV, WMV, XAVC, XAVC S, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, WAV, MP3, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR- , DPX- and WDP image sequences

Maybe you will need a H.265 converter to transcode H.265 to any of Vegas Pro supported editing codec.

What H265 are you talking about?   I am regularly edit native Samsung's camera with H265 on VP14 with no issue.  Prior to that I have to transcode the footage for Vegas to be able to edit.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Cobra44Magnum wrote on 2/22/2017, 10:31 AM

What H265 are you talking about?   I am regularly edit native Samsung's camera with H265 on VP14 with no issue.  Prior to that I have to transcode the footage for Vegas to be able to edit.

These H.265 files are being generated from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone camera. It appears that when using the MP4 file type there is something in the header that Vegas Pro doesn't like. Recording in the MOV file type or remuxing the MP4 files with ffmeg allows the files to be used in Vegas Pro. See above for more information.

NickHope wrote on 2/25/2017, 12:50 AM

Import

4K XAVC S, 4K XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAM Optical, DV, HDV, AVCHD, NXCAM, MOV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, Surround Sound/5.1, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR-, DPX- and WDP image sequences...

(Magix, not Sony) Vegas Pro 14 does import H.265/HEVC files. It is an omission on that web page.

Randy Brown wrote on 11/24/2020, 5:20 PM

I came across this old thread looking for answers as to why my 4K/60fps files from my DJI drone are crashing (hanging with "not responding" message) Vegas Pro 18 every 10 minutes. I can confirm Vegas will indeed import H.265, it just won't play them back at more than 3-4 fps (at least for my newly old 6 yo PC or my newly built one).

Have these suggestions changed any since this old thread?