Comments

deusx wrote on 5/16/2015, 4:01 AM
>>>>And the new color correction features in the forthcoming release of Premiere Pro have certainly got my attention too.<<<<

Why would you or anybody care about that.

Fusion is now free and can do anything you want as far as compositing, 3D, color correcting, keying, motion graphics. It's like aftereffects x 100. Premiere pro is a joke compared to any of that.

You cut/edit in a NLE and do the rest in Fusion. That is the way it's supposed to be.
No NLE can match all that other stuff you find in Fusion so even though it requires a round trip between programs that is the way to go if you care about quality.
Tech Diver wrote on 5/16/2015, 7:46 AM
@deusx: What sort of integration is there between Resolve and Fusion?

Peter
JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/16/2015, 11:40 AM
> "I still do not see how it will benefit a one man band person like me!"

I really don't think it's a tool for a "one man band" like many of us. It looks like a tool for a single step in much larger production pipeline.

The only "lone wolf" it might be a very successful tool for is ENG. More and more news shooters are being asked to edit in the field and having a camera person approach any NLE (if they are not an editor) is a LOT to ask. In that respect, Catalyst Edit is very approachable for someone with no prior editing skills to do an edit in the field and uplink it for live broadcast back at the studio without anyone else having to touch it.

I agree with others that Sony has not yet told us who is the target market they are going after, but based on the extreme negative reactions in this thread... I don't think it's us.

~jr
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/16/2015, 2:14 PM
What an elegant, practical and beautifully thought out interface! If I were to buy an NLE for the first time and had a choice between Vegas Pro and Cat-Edit, Cat would be my choice in two minutes. I only wonder about some of the small stuff such as how to activate a time code viewer on screen but I'd be surprised if that doesn't exist somewhere.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/16/2015, 2:18 PM
What an elegant, practical and beautifully thought out interface!

It's easy to have a "practical" interface with such limited functionality. Try and move a track up or down in Catalyst Edit.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

videoITguy wrote on 5/16/2015, 2:27 PM
Please combine the comments of Paul and Johnny Roy - just above in this thread. With their summation, they are right-on.

No entity should have to ever explain their target market for their product and service. For those who are targeted the market appeal is self-explanatory.
Now there is a lot of confusion about what VegasPro was targeted for, but in reality it reached and continues to do so the very market for which it is appropriate. That's the sheer efficiency of the market and the economy at work. You can't beat that horse.

Now Catalyst is a different animal to be sure. Not a VegasPro market strictly speaking.

But Catalyst is appropriate for a one-man operation - actually more so than VegasPro by a long shot. The ENG group members should embrace this entity widely. By far that will be it's largest single market. However, it will also have a use for the high-end Sony camera delivery for scripted production where the Director of Photography is a key employee.

Hence we say VegasPro is a little bit of everything for most anybody, but the targets of Catalyst are relatively specific.
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/16/2015, 3:06 PM
>>>>Try and move a track up or down in Catalyst Edit.<<<
It took me 5 seconds to spot the Track Actions icon at the bottom.
I'd be interested in hearing if the AVI format would be applicable if I would want to buy into this. Without the ability to edit AVIs would be a showstopper for many indie users.
JJKizak wrote on 5/16/2015, 3:43 PM
After viewing the video I'm inclined to agree with the Sony decision for a whole new approach which eventually should do everything as stable as a rock. Well, anyway that's what the demo intimated about the current beta.
JJK
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/16/2015, 4:40 PM
I think Sony is overlooking the interests and demographics of graphics artists in search of a simplified NLE such as this one. What I would miss the most would be the ability to import and export AVI clips, the ability to preview and print the timecode, and the ability to export selections of frames of AVI files and WAV files separately. The software is too exclusive in catering to live action videographers which is a pity, since the few items I have listed above would have the potential of attracting a sizable consumer group such as the independent animator/video producer.
Steve Mann wrote on 5/16/2015, 11:04 PM
SonyPCH said:
" I honestly just wanted to see what the Vegas community thinks of this new tool set and the workflows it offers"

I think people still remember the back-stabbing by Apple when they dropped FCP for FCP-X.

I don't see any new tools in Catalyst that I could ever use as a one-person shop. Just a completely foreign UI.
Pete Siamidis wrote on 5/17/2015, 1:58 AM
For those that have tried it, does Catalyst Edit have any scripting support like Vegas Pro?
John_Cline wrote on 5/17/2015, 2:00 AM
"I think people still remember the back-stabbing by Apple when they dropped FCP for FCP-X."

There is no indication whatsoever that SCS is about to pull an Apple move. SCS has introduced a additional set of tools that is obviously not aimed at you.
Kim Nance wrote on 5/17/2015, 3:38 AM
I, for one, would like to acknowledge the helpful support that Peter - SonyPCH - has provided over the years. His expertise has been invaluable, and he is one of the few who take time to chime in on these forums.

His only sin is in not appreciating the level of paranoia that exists in this community. We are users of a minority editing platform, and feel ostracised even on the best of days. The post sent by ForumAdmin, the next day, would have been a far more diplomatic approach.

Please don't shoot the enthusiastic messenger. He is a treasure far too good to waste.

Regards

Kim Nance
Armadillo Post
deusx wrote on 5/17/2015, 4:20 AM
>>>>>What sort of integration is there between Resolve and Fusion?<<<<<

Not sure if there is any. I've never used Resolve. I've been using Fusion since long before BlackMagic acquired them, probably at least 10 years, and have always used it with Vegas.

The only downside to Fusion is that it may be picky about what it will import. Since it's always been a high end compositor designed mostly to be used with big studio movies it does not import some prosumer formats. Maybe Black Magic will add those.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/17/2015, 10:00 AM
> "For those that have tried it, does Catalyst Edit have any scripting support like Vegas Pro?"

No. Catalyst Edit doesn't even support Video or Audio FX plug-ins (neither internal nor 3rd party). It is a basic cuts and dissolves editor. Good for rough cuts or simple projects where a "simple project" could be a 3 minute cuts-only news segment (which is where I think it will shine).

~jr
Grazie wrote on 5/17/2015, 10:25 AM
It's all very straightforward to me: Catalyst will be/become the tool for the News Gatherer, or major DoP, SONY-shooters, what Vegas Pro has meant/become to the OMB videographers. So, the best tool for the job; for that operative at that time.

And here lies the credit for SCS: to push for the best/correct/more appropriate tools. It's why I started with VV 12 years back, and why, if their philosophy is STILL to keep pushing for workman-like tools why I'll stay with VP and SCS.

However . . . There are some super looking work-look schemas in Catalyst which I like. Let's be honest, VP does look a wee bit tired and forlorn, compared to Catalyst. Kinda would be nice to have some of that Graphite look. Others will have their opinions I know.

Grazie
Pete Siamidis wrote on 5/17/2015, 1:03 PM
"> "For those that have tried it, does Catalyst Edit have any scripting support like Vegas Pro?"

No. Catalyst Edit doesn't even support Video or Audio FX plug-ins (neither internal nor 3rd party). It is a basic cuts and dissolves editor. Good for rough cuts or simple projects where a "simple project" could be a 3 minute cuts-only news segment (which is where I think it will shine).

~jr"

Ok thanks, definitely not for me then, will just stick with Vegas. Hopefully any gpu improvements realized on the engine used with Catalyst Edit can make their way back to Vegas Pro over time.
VMP wrote on 5/17/2015, 2:53 PM

Still waiting for an (64 bit) update for Acid Pro.

Last update was in 2010.

I am forced to use other brand DAW software just because AP doesen't support 64 bit VST.

It really is a pitty.

VMP

OldSmoke wrote on 5/18/2015, 9:02 AM
[I]It took me 5 seconds to spot the Track Actions icon at the bottom.[/I]

@Paul
And how do you MOVE a track; not make a new one? I must be really dumb, I cant figure it out.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

Spectralis wrote on 5/18/2015, 10:07 AM
Anyone in any doubt about the ruthlessness of software companies dropping software just needs to recall what happened to ACID PRO. After years of me investing in AP, Sony made absolutely no announcement when it stopped developing it. The worst thing is that they still try to sell it when every other DAW has moved on significantly. Sony seem to have no shame when it comes to dropping software so I doubt that the treatment of Vegas Pro customers will be any different.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/18/2015, 10:51 AM
No company at this stage would openly admit that another product will be dropped in favor of the new one. So any statement that comes from SCS at this stage, should be treated with caution.

System Spec.:

pwppch wrote on 5/18/2015, 1:46 PM
"And how do you MOVE a track; not make a new one?"

Cannot do this in 1.0.

Peter
OldSmoke wrote on 5/18/2015, 2:33 PM
[I]Cannot do this in 1.0. [/I]

Exactly.

System Spec.:

jwcarney wrote on 5/18/2015, 6:28 PM
Catalyst suite is for on set use by DOPs and/or DIT's. Most directors do cuts' only editing for offline, then send out EDL for finishing by someone else.
Extensive support for Sony Pro cameras (F5/55/65) is important. Production companies who use those cameras will be very receptive to a Sony based solution. It's meant to be at the front end of the production pipeline, not your main editor, what ever that may be. I do hope they add LUT support for VP in the near future.

If it can convert Prores444 or CinemaDNG to XAVC 12bit 4:4:4 that will solve a lot of problems for those of us who don't want to use a Mac for editing, but have high end ProRes to ingest.

If it's not for you, then.....move along, nothing to see here.
All the chicken little, sky is falling crap is really getting old.