Comments

Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/19/2015, 9:18 AM
>>>>>"And how do you MOVE a track; not make a new one?"
Cannot do this in 1.0.
Peter<<<<<<

You have to move the first one downwards and then once you have created space above the top layer you can move them all up or down. I would call that a bug with an easy work around (and an easy fix).
wwjd wrote on 5/19/2015, 10:01 AM
jwcarney, maybe if SONY would have EXPLAINED this in the first place, Vegas users would not be saying "WTF is this??"

They caused their own sky fall.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/19/2015, 11:14 AM
@Paul
[I]
You have to move the first one downwards and then once you have created space above the top layer you can move them all up or down. I would call that a bug with an easy work around (and an easy fix).[/I]

Maybe we are one different versions, I am on 1.0.0.293 and it is impossible to move a track. I have 3 tracks on the timeline and I want to move track 1 below track 3; how do I do that? If you can do that, then something is wrong.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

astar wrote on 5/19/2015, 11:36 AM
@SCS

I might just be old and jaded, but I think the idea of supporting the feature film people is a marketing mistake at this point in time. This would have been a hip move back in the 90ies, but now the NLE is becoming as ubiquitous as the word processor.

With the new generation of users, like 12 year olds that have a twich and youtube channel for every game they play. I think Sony should be focusing on integrating Sony codecs with players like NVidia and AMD. So that people can screen record in something like XAVC-intra for a smooth editing experience in Vegas.

Vegas should be able to export to DCP and MPEG-DASH, or at least have DVDA like applications that support this. It makes no sense to spend time editing in Sony Vegas if you are left with a big question on how to get your masterpiece to the final destination. SCS should keep up better with emerging export needs.

ACES support was major step in the right direction, however, the application needs to let the creative user know that a general desktop system is not powerful enough to operate in 32-bit FP mode, and here is what needs to change. Users have a bad experience and blame not their own bad hardware choice, but the software for not functioning the way they think it should. Sony SCS should provide some sort of integrated speedometer, or dashboard like window that allows the user to see where their choice in hardware is coming up short. Something that says "frames are being dropped due to a lack of Floating Point performance to calculate plugin "X" in the required time to maintain smooth playback." The feedback needs to be direct and point to the problem.

After working in Film production, TV production, and independent film/video. I feel like there maybe is 1000 actual feature film editors in the world, and 10x that in corporate licenses, and 100x in wannabe licenses that do not fit the actual workflow people at that level need. Meanwhile the general small time video editor with crews less than 20, the gaming video posting generation and more, are probably in the millions upon millions.

I get that Sony feels they need a workflow software to sell the F65 and beyond. However, skipping/ignoring bug repairs to existing software, and not maintaining codec upgrades for new emerging cameras, is like flipping your actual past customers the bird.

Sony marketing is pretty bad, you should honor your existing customers by letting them know about the status of products they already have bought, then sell them on why they need the next evolution. Not ignore existing customers, by not communicating direction of the road ahead. If Catalyst is pro camera division only, keep it on the F65 site, and inform Vegas users on how their experience is going to be improved shortly.

If things do not change, people should flee a sinking ship for the likes of AVID, FCP, or Premiere. Then let SCS tabula rasa with their new product, and work to get back what little market share they have gained. And when the "actual feature directors and Editors" turn their back on you and refuse to get off AVID for high end film posting, SCS management can work on updating their LinkedIn profiles.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/19/2015, 11:42 AM
[I] I just grab the top of the layer where you see the layer's name and pull it down or push up.[/I]

Layers??

The version number is under Options>About.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/19/2015, 11:57 AM

I keep admiring the ingenuity of this software and how simple the designers have kept everything. There are actually quite a few actions and options to select from yet they've managed to make everything obvious without ever resorting to right/left mouse, pressing Shift or Ctrl, while keeping the GUI so clear and uncluttered. There's a lot of brain work behind this simplicity.

Too bad they have decided to keep everyone else but on the road one person reporters away from it. I understand and admire the logic of keeping its operation simple and bug free but I don't understand why they won't let animators in when it would need so little to make that happen. Just let me import AVI files and I'll buy it to test Catalyst in a real world situation. BTW, the name Catalyst is as clever as everything else is. I am envious --- LOL.
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/19/2015, 12:01 PM
Layers? Ooops, I slipped into animation editing talk. I should have said "Track". Same version here.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/19/2015, 12:23 PM
@Paul

I must by living on a different planet. Here is a short video of me trying to move a track.

What am I doing wrong?

System Spec.:

Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/19/2015, 1:22 PM
Aha! You are hopelessly locked into a Vegas mindset. Grab the top of the track itself. You are attempting to drag the track's heading, which doesn't change. If you want to move the track, grab the track by the top. I guess I should have said grab the clip itself -- sorry, I am locked into a hopelessly TVPaint mindset.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/19/2015, 1:34 PM
It's not so much a Vegas mind set. Moving a track is, in my opinion, a very useful feature not to be missed. What you are doing is moving a clip, yet that can be done but is something very very different.

So to recap, tracks CAN NOT be moved.

System Spec.:

pwppch wrote on 5/19/2015, 2:04 PM
"So to recap, tracks CAN NOT be moved."

Correct.

Peter
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/19/2015, 2:53 PM
I get your point now. There is a difference and as many people have said here, Catalyst is not for a typical Vegas user. But I seldom ever need more than two tracks because my line of work is closer to an independent reporter's in this sense. I have most of the time everything I need on a single track except for sound, which can take at times 5 or 6 tracks and a couple of tracks at the top for titles.

I can see how a reporter would most likely say the same; other tracks they will most likely use for the storage of alternative selections. I work like that too. Vegas offers tons of options I will never use and they get in my way and those too might be the most likely causes of crashes I don't need to deal with. If I had these two NLEs to experiment with, I can see myself choosing Catalyst.
OldSmoke wrote on 5/19/2015, 3:30 PM
@Paul

I can fully understand where Catalyst Edit might be positioned at but the current version, in my opinion, cant even do the simplest things; moving tracks around is one of them. That would all be ok if the price for it is below a $100.00 or even free with the purchase of a pro camera.

System Spec.:

Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/19/2015, 3:55 PM
I absolutely agree with you on the price, but I don't agree with your position on tracks. I have been using Vegas on a daily basis since ver. 6 and can think of only a couple of instances when I needed to move tracks, but only for reasons of sound clip management. in a long project. As you can see, I didn't even understand the nature of your question.
VidMus wrote on 5/19/2015, 8:48 PM
I don't know about Catalyst Edit yet but both Catalyst browse and prepare are garbage!

I would much rather use PlayMemories Home to import my videos. I can use it to trim the videos (AVCHD) which I cannot figure out how to do with Catalyst browse or prepare.

Mark the in and out points and then save the trimmed video. Not so with Catalyst and AVCHD video.

jwcarney wrote on 5/22/2015, 1:42 PM
Astar, maybe you are getting to old. The tools are not for editors, maybe not even for assistant editors. They support more than Sony Cameras and offer an alternative to an Adobe subscription for video capture and logging. DITs, DOPs, one man crews, small independent movie makers, studio movies, documentarians, corp video crews... who may or may not be using Vegas as their NLE (probably not) can use these tools. If they are not for your type of work or workflow, ignore them. There is much bigger market for these than you indicated though.

Sony is expanding, not leaving their customer base behind.

If you really think Vegas is a sinking ship, then why wait around?
The moment I think that is true, I'll have no problem finding another NLE. In the mean time, I'm not going t o worry about it. Life is too short for all this angst.