(FAQ) Why can't I install VEGAS Pro?

NickHope wrote on 12/1/2016, 7:02 AM

If you are having problems installing VEGAS Pro, troubleshoot using these steps:

1. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Check that your computer meets the system requirements. For the latest version of VEGAS Pro, the system requirements are here. Note that VEGAS Pro is only officially supported if it's installed on the same drive as your operating system.

2. USE THE CORRECT INSTALLER

See "Where can I download VEGAS Pro?" to make sure you are using the latest installer, or the one you wish to install.

3. SUFFICIENT SPACE?

The regular installers are small (typically approx. 4MB). When run, they will fetch a much larger, main installer for the latest release (typically approx. 439MB) which will be saved to a folder such as Documents\MAGIX Downloads\Installationsmanager. There must be sufficient space for the installer on that drive, as well as the drive where VEGAS Pro will be installed. The VP15 system requirements state 1.5GB. My C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 15.0 folder is 1.11GB.

4. WINDOWS UPDATE

Search for Windows Update on your system. This can be done in the Windows Start menu or by pressing the WINDOWS+Q keys on Windows 8.1 and 10. Let Windows check for updates for the system and install any that are available. Restart your machine to finish this process.

Follow any prompts to reboot, and be patient with the update process, which can take a long time. If you have problems, consult the Windows Update FAQ. For Windows 10 you can use this Windows Update Troubleshooter.

5. MICROSOFT FIX IT

Microsoft Fix It can resolve various problems that block programs from being installed or removed, such as repairing corrupted registry keys. This is especially worth trying if you are reinstalling VEGAS Pro.

6. MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK

Try repairing all versions Microsoft .NET Framework on your system.

Go to the Windows Control Panel and open "Programs and Features". Click each version of Microsoft .NET Framework then "Uninstall" then "Repair". Windows 7 users can use the .NET Framework Repair Tool.

If that doesn't help then you can try removing and reinstalling them. You can download .NET Framework installers from here.

See this article for more help and other options for repairing .NET Framework.

Although .NET Framework 3.5 is not required for VEGAS Pro 12, 13, 14 or 15, it might be required for some legacy applications or plugins, but it is not automatically installed with Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. See this article for help installing/enabling it.

7. MICROSOFT VISUAL C++

Try repairing all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ on your system.

Go to the Windows Control Panel and open "Programs and Features". Click each version of Microsoft Visual C++ then "Uninstall" then "Repair".

If that doesn't help then you can try removing and reinstalling them. You can download Visual C++ installers from here.

Here are some Visual C++ redistributables associated with various applications. Plugins or other features can sometimes require portions of earlier redistributables.

• Visual Studio 2012 Redistributable (x64 and x86):
    • VEGAS Pro 13
    • VEGAS Movie Studio 13
  • Visual Studio 2008 Redistributable:
    • DVD Architect 5 & 6
    • Sound Forge 10 & 11
    • ACID Music Studio 10
  • Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable:
    • ACID Pro 7
    • CD Architect 5.2

8. REGISTRY CLEANING

If you have tried all the above steps, you could try cleaning your Windows registry before reinstalling. For this purpose I regularly use Ccleaner free version. Cleaning your registry carries significant risk. It is recommended to take an image-based backup of your system drive first, for example using Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image. You can also make an image or create a system restore point in Windows. When Ccleaner asks if you want to backup your registry before cleaning, you should! I usually fix all detected issues. Reboot afterwards before reinstalling VEGAS Pro.

9. IF YOU STILL NEED HELP

If the above steps do not help you get VEGAS Pro installed, make a forum post and/or support request, including the following information:

• Your system specifications (with reference to step #1, above)
  • Exactly which version and build number you are attempting to install
  • The exact point at which the installation fails, and the exact contents of any error messages

10. RELATED POSTS

Comments

NickHope wrote on 12/5/2016, 10:08 AM

Suggestions for corrections and additions via comments or personal messages are welcome but comments here may be deleted later as this is an "FAQ" post. Please start a new post or use an old thread to discuss subjects in depth or to raise individual cases.

Changes:

MrWillyP wrote on 12/14/2017, 6:14 AM

So if I have Vegas installed on a separate hard drive than my OS it will not allow me to register the product?