(FAQ) Why does my video effect (FX) not work in VEGAS Pro?

NickHope wrote on 4/23/2018, 3:52 AM

If you apply a video effect (FX) in VEGAS Pro, and do not see any change in the video preview window, try these suggestions:

1. SPLIT SCREEN VIEW BUTTON

Check the status of the Split Screen View button above the Video Preview window. This button allows you to bypass video effects for half the preview, or all of it. In VEGAS Pro 15, when FX are not bypassed, it looks like this:

When FX are bypassed it looks like this (by default):

2. NVIDIA / INTEL GRAPHICS CONFLICT

There is an issue whereby the effect of FX and text adjustments may not be shown in the Video Preview window until the FX control window is dismissed, under the following conditions:

• The PC has both integrated Intel graphics and discrete NVIDIA graphics, and
  • The NVIDIA driver version is later than 382.53, and
  • The NVIDIA GPU (rather than Intel graphics) has been chosen as the preferred graphics processor for VEGAS Pro, and
  • The NVIDIA GPU is selected in GPU acceleration of video processing.

To resolve this issue, try one of these 3 suggestions:

[**UPDATE: From Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 Update) it is possible to set which GPU an app should use. That may be a better option than following the advice below**]

1. Roll back your NVIDIA graphics driver to version 382.53 or earlier. Drivers can be searched at this link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us Driver 381.89 has been successful for some. [UPDATE: Also reportedly fixed with driver version 399.07 or later]
  2. On a laptop, open VEGAS Pro using Intel graphics as follows (this doesn't work on a desktop PC):
    1. Open the NVIDIA control panel (e.g. by right-clicking on the desktop).
    2. Open Manage 3D Settings and select the Program Settings tab.
    3. Choose VEGAS Pro in the "Select a program to customize" menu or add it if it is not there.
    4. Choose Integrated Graphics in the Preferred Graphics Processor drop-down menu, then Save.
    5. If you still wish to use GPU acceleration of video processing in VEGAS Pro, choose Options > Preferences > Video and select your NVIDIA GPU for GPU acceleration of video processing.
  3. On a desktop PC that has both integrated Intel graphics and discrete NVIDIA graphics:
    1. Enable Intel integrated graphics in the BIOS, if they are disabled (instructions for ASUS motherboards).
    2. Attach your main monitor to the motherboard connector, not NVIDIA GPU connector.

If none of those suggestions work for you, please make a new post on the VEGAS Pro Video forum, giving the information requested in this post.

Comments

NickHope wrote on 4/23/2018, 3:58 AM

I wrote this without access to an NVIDIA GPU, so improvements to the accuracy of my suggestions are welcome. However comments may later be deleted as this is an "FAQ" post.

A screenshot of the the NVIDIA control panel showing the Preferred Graphics Processor dropdown menu would also be welcome (Windows Snipping Tool has a delay feature that allows you to screenshot menus).

Please do not use this post for requesting help with specific cases.

NickHope wrote on 4/23/2018, 5:44 AM

Should I add "Disable the Intel integrated graphics in the BIOS" as a 3rd option in part 2?

Vliegvisser wrote on 4/23/2018, 6:51 AM

A screenshot of the the NVIDIA control panel showing the Preferred Graphics Processor dropdown menu would also be welcome

Dutch version of NVidia Control Panel 😇

Former user wrote on 4/23/2018, 7:40 AM

“3. Choose Integrated Graphics in the Preferred Graphics Processor drop-down menu, then Save.”

I couldn’t find this item in the Nvidia software, nearest was Cuda GPU drop down.

Nick, I tested this issue on PC and it didnt show? Both versions of driver are recent, 391.05 on the PC and 391.35 for Laptop using Nvidia cards

NickHope wrote on 4/23/2018, 8:54 AM

“3. Choose Integrated Graphics in the Preferred Graphics Processor drop-down menu, then Save.”

I couldn’t find this item in the Nvidia software, nearest was Cuda GPU drop down.

@Former user Any chance of a screen grab?

Nick, I tested this issue on PC and it didnt show? Both versions of driver are recent, 391.35 on the PC and 391.05 for PC, using Nvidia cards

You mean the issue exists on your laptop but not your desktop? (JN_'s specs are in his signature, for anyone else interested).

Former user wrote on 4/23/2018, 11:52 AM

No, I meant the issue doesn’t exist afaikt on either machine. Best to ignore the laptop as the Intel qsv is disabled permanently by manufacture. I’ll post a screen shot shortly.

Former user wrote on 4/23/2018, 12:31 PM

PC only ...

The drop-down goes away ( just saw your mention of the delay feature ☹️) when I use the snipping tool, but the only options are the Nvidia card, for the Cuda GPU one its selected as "Global". The "Open GL rendering GPU" is selected as Auto select, only other option is Nvidia gtx 1080. So unless the Auto select is enabling the Intel GPU, I'll check this and come back. The Intel QSV option is available in Vegas, but I have Nvidia selected. Anyway, I added a b&W FX and as I adjusted it in the FX window I could see the changes in the preview window aok.

Former user wrote on 4/23/2018, 12:37 PM

Made no difference, I re-booted. I can still see changes in the preview window as I use the B&W slider in the FX. I used a still image to test, and I fulfill the the 4 bullet points under your 2. Nvidia etc .. section, so its a bit odd all right.

The software ver. of the Nvidia control panel is 8.1.940.0

Former user wrote on 4/23/2018, 1:29 PM

Unlikely to be of any significance, I mentioned this way back ... To get the Intel QSV enabled I had to temporarily put my single monitor onto the motherboard video out. Once QSV was available I then put the monitor back onto the Nvidia card.

NickHope wrote on 4/24/2018, 1:08 AM

Thanks for all that JN_.

Your control panel is completely missing the Preferred Graphics Processor section, which would be between sections 1 & 2 in your screenshots as in the screenshot on this page. Apparently it is only available on laptops via NVIDIA "Optimus" (link, link).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue on a desktop.

Former user wrote on 4/24/2018, 4:06 AM

Ok, thanks Nick, never knew about “Optimus” etc. My screenshots were from the PC, but its not on the laptop either. It’s logical so thats its not on any PC and also in my case the laptop because Acer disables the on board graphics.

I really dont need it, to fix your mentioned FAQ issue since for some reason it doesn’t apply to my PC or laptop.

I know it could be one of many things, but maybe it rears its head with different Nvidia graphics cards only?

Vliegvisser wrote on 4/24/2018, 5:08 AM

Before I allowed in the BIOS the Intel Graphics to show up , I had this issue on my desktop.

NickHope wrote on 4/24/2018, 5:25 AM

Before I allowed in the BIOS the Intel Graphics to show up , I had this issue on my desktop.

That sounds the wrong way round. Do you mean you had the issue when Intel Graphics were enabled or disabled?

Vliegvisser wrote on 4/24/2018, 5:51 AM

To me it sounds very healthy.😇
Before I allowed in the BIOS of my new desktop the Intell Graphics 630 to show up, I had this issue and I had no QSV render options in Magix AVC.
After I allowed it and connected my mainscreen to the Motherboard and not to the Nvidia Graphics, I had all the fast render options in Magix AVC (included NVENC) and the issue of not showing changes, when a FX was added to an event, was gone.

NickHope wrote on 4/24/2018, 6:55 AM

Thanks. I revised options 2 (for laptops) and 3 (for desktops).

Please let me know if anything is wrong.

MrTired wrote on 7/12/2023, 10:44 PM

Hey! Wanted to let you know that the NVIDIA steps worked. Have been looking within the community for an answer and nothing worked until I changed my NVIDIA settings. Thanks a bunch!

RogerS wrote on 7/12/2023, 11:00 PM

@MrTired This advice is antiquated as NVIDIA addressed this issue years ago.

However they reintroduced the bug last year. If you are having a problem with NVIDIA mobile GPUs try driver 522.30 or older.

Alternatively, here's a workaround for more recent drivers (which is what I'm using)

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark: https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark: https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7