File Organization

adam-thacker wrote on 3/9/2023, 3:44 PM

Hopefully this isn't off topic but it does involve video and audio organization. Anyway

Is it necessary to hang onto all the .SFK files that drop into our audio/video folders? I do tend to revisit old projects often so I have never deleted them. I've made a few dozen Vegas and Movie Studio projects now so my video and sound FX library is littered with them. Do they contain info that is not in the master VEG or .vf files?

While we're at it, is it really okay to remove those tags from mattresses and pillows? "Do not remove under penalty of law" sounds pretty serious

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 3/9/2023, 3:56 PM

@adam-thacker

I've been working old projects on ARCHIVE Drives which are spinning disks. I routinely find them all and delete them. They're particularly pernicious when I copy the ARCHIVE to an offline disk.

On NVME disks, I don't really care since the project won't be there for long and seek time is not such an issue.

john_dennis wrote on 3/9/2023, 4:02 PM

I occasionally tear tags from mattresses and pillows, but I always remove the safety warning labels from electrical equipment. If I'm not capable of avoiding electrocution by now, it's hopeless.

adam-thacker wrote on 3/9/2023, 4:06 PM

Ha! Same here.... Thanks for the info John

rraud wrote on 3/9/2023, 4:09 PM

Hi @adam-thacker, you can permanently delete the <.sfk> (audio waveform) files anytime w/o losing anything important. However, if the project is in progress you may want to keep them, otherwise when you reopen the project, it will take a while longer to rebuild the waveforms... "a while" depends on how many events and their length.

Sorry I don't have any sarcastic comments about the tags at the moment. I am working on it though.

rraud, Magix forums moderator

adam-thacker wrote on 3/9/2023, 4:48 PM

Hi @adam-thacker, you can permanently delete the <.sfk> (audio waveform) files anytime w/o losing anything important. However, if the project is in progress you may want to keep them, otherwise when you reopen the project, it will take a while longer to rebuild the waveforms... "a while" depends on how many events and their length.

And another lesson learned. I deleted every .sfk on the PC, some going back to 2009. Looked at my sound FX library and it was so amazingly clean, then I went back to my Vegas project and had to let it rebuild peaks. Luckily this one is small so it only took a minute. But I'm definitely going to start cleaning house when projects are finished.

m3lquixd wrote on 3/9/2023, 8:33 PM

@adam-thacker I created some executables to handle this. One removes remnants, useful for when you've completed a project and no longer want to access those files. The other just hides them, useful for applying to folders containing files you frequently use. For example: A folder of sound effects or even video overlays.
If you are interested, just download it here.
To use them, just drop them (I recommend copying and pasting them) in the folder that contains the remnants, and it will remove or hide all remnants of the folder and subfolders.

About me:
Hi! Melqui Calheiros Here. I've been using Vegas as my only video editor for over 10 years. I edit professionally for various influencers, public bodies and small businesses. My goal is to squeeze Vegas to the fullest! And end the prejudice that software has here in Brazil.

⬇️ Some of my jobs. ⬇️
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/post-your-vegas-creations--109464/?page=37#ca872169

PC Specs:
Operating System:
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.60 GHz
RAM:
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 2666MHz
Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR Group B450MX-S (AM4)
Graphics:
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ZOTAC International)
Storage:
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
    238GB Lexar 256GB SSD (SATA (SSD))
  931GB KINGSTON SNV2S1000G (SATA-2 (SSD))

adam-thacker wrote on 3/9/2023, 8:54 PM

Thanks a lot. That'll come in handy, hoping that Vegas will be getting a pretty good workout over the next few months

m3lquixd wrote on 3/10/2023, 6:25 AM

@adam-thacker If any of the given answers solved your problem, I recommend marking the answer as solved.

About me:
Hi! Melqui Calheiros Here. I've been using Vegas as my only video editor for over 10 years. I edit professionally for various influencers, public bodies and small businesses. My goal is to squeeze Vegas to the fullest! And end the prejudice that software has here in Brazil.

⬇️ Some of my jobs. ⬇️
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/post-your-vegas-creations--109464/?page=37#ca872169

PC Specs:
Operating System:
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.60 GHz
RAM:
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 2666MHz
Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR Group B450MX-S (AM4)
Graphics:
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ZOTAC International)
Storage:
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
    238GB Lexar 256GB SSD (SATA (SSD))
  931GB KINGSTON SNV2S1000G (SATA-2 (SSD))

VEGASDerek wrote on 3/10/2023, 7:09 AM

I have noticed many complaints about the .sfk files and their "polluting" of the users' hardrives. We don't get too many complains on this forum, but it is a common complaint on Reddit.

Gary and I will discuss some reasonable approaches to maybe help with this. As with anything in VEGAS, making changes to the creation, deleting and locating of these .sfk files is not trivial to do without significant side effects.

rraud wrote on 3/10/2023, 9:15 AM

Sound Forge (Pro and AS) has options that will delete or hide the <.sfk> waveform files: "Delete new temporary files on close" and "Hide new temporary files"
These settings may be helpful if they could be added to Vegas 'Preferences' menu.

DMT3 wrote on 3/10/2023, 9:38 AM

Or create an option to determine WHERE to store these type of files so we can have a universal folder that we can control.

jetdv wrote on 3/10/2023, 4:58 PM

Or create an option to determine WHERE to store these type of files so we can have a universal folder that we can control.

What if you have two different audio files but both have the same name and they both build their SFK file into the same folder? I guess the "last" one would win? And then you'd have an incorrect wave form drawing for the other one? It's definitely more complicated than "picking a folder to store them"...

Personally, they've never been an issue for me. I keep all the files for one project in one folder. Once the project is done, I just delete the whole folder (yes, I have a backup on an external drive - sfk files and all.) There are a few exceptions - files that are used in multiple project. In those cases, they're in use anyway.

EricLNZ wrote on 3/10/2023, 5:48 PM

I noticed a few years ago with VMS that every time I opened one particular project it created a waveform for one particular music file. Just the one file and not others. For some reason it wasn't saving the ".sfk" file. Eventually I realised the music file was in a subfolder in my C:Program Files(x86) folder. Presumably Windows wouldn't let VMS write the ".sfk" there. I moved the music file to a non system folder and the sfk was saved as normal in that folder.