Comments

Marco. wrote on 2/28/2017, 4:13 PM

Many Vegas users never touch the trimmer and do all the trimming in the timeline.

I also only rarely use the trimmer. Though it's fine to break a longer video into smaller sub clips which could be bit confusing in the timeline.

It's also a nice tool when only used to set media markers and regions which then will appear baked into the timeline Events.

Also setting regions within the trimmer and using the Vegas Explorer with its Region View option is sometimes a nice way to organize media.

Another reason could be to use the trimmer as source preview window and the regular preview as program monitor for the timeline content only. It's the classic preview mode other NLE use.

Former user wrote on 2/28/2017, 4:56 PM

I use the trimmer all of the time. My videos are usually several short scenes and I don't want to drag 10 minutes of video to the timeline for a 30 second clip.

MartinE wrote on 2/28/2017, 5:03 PM

I'm a great fan of the trimmer. When creating sequences it enables me to put quick in and out points (I&O keys) in a clip and then with a single key stroke add the trimmed clip to the t/l at the cursor and then go for the next clip etc until I have a bunch of good clips all together, I then work on the t/l and start shuffling etc. I also use the trimmer for reviewing long sound files and creating regions for future ref and making sub clips for future use. So many different ways to use it depending on your workflow. For my sort of work having to use t/l only would be very messy.

Marco, how does that Vegas Explorer view work with regions, this is a new one for me.

Marco. wrote on 2/28/2017, 5:37 PM

Set one or several regions onto a clip in the trimmer (then save regions if not set to do automatically in the options menu).

In the view menu of the Vegas Explorer select the regions view.

Now in Vegas Explorer when you select a clip with saved regions, these regions will be shown on the botton of the Explorer window and you could use the regions similar as you'd use subclips (with its own advantages and disadvantages).

wayne-severson wrote on 2/28/2017, 7:04 PM

let me ask this, I sometimes shoot live bands with several cameras for a full set, then often will only mix master and render a single song or two. Does the trimmer. after making subclips then allow you to delete the full length files thus making the total data size smaller to make more economical backups of the project?

Former user wrote on 2/28/2017, 7:10 PM

The subclips in Vegas are only pointers, not actual media, so if you delete the master file, you will lose the subclip.

Marco. wrote on 2/28/2017, 7:11 PM

No. Both subclips as well as regions are references to the source clips. If you delete the source clip, there's no more reference.

wayne-severson wrote on 2/28/2017, 7:19 PM

Glad I asked instead of trying it

NickHope wrote on 2/28/2017, 8:15 PM

I never use it, but that's because I almost always edit by "process of elimination"; I dump everything I've shot for a project on the timeline then sort, edit and eliminate from there. If you edit by "addition" then it's much more relevant. The new scrub functionality is a huge improvement.

Len Kaufman wrote on 2/28/2017, 9:30 PM

For me, one of the most useful features of the trimmer in the New Vegas 14, is the ability to very quickly skim through a clip.

Richard Jones wrote on 3/1/2017, 3:45 AM

People tend oo have set views about this! I fall firmly into he pro-trimmer camp but will occasionally edit from the Timeline. In my own work I may well have a number of shots of the same scene, perhaps taken from different angles or in different lighting conditions and I find it much easier to chose which shot fits in best by using and selecting from the Trimmer. I also find it easier to place this event where I want it on the Timeline which saves the fag of dragging events about on the Timeline (and perhaps losing them!).

Richard

xberk wrote on 3/1/2017, 10:56 AM

I rarely use the trimmer. But I frequently use a second or even third instance of Vegas instead. The ability to use multiple instances of Vegas, to me, is by far the most powerful feature. To me, a new instance of Vegas is like the trimmer on steroids. The only thing I find useful and unique to the trimmer is to embed a marker as described above by Marco.

Last changed by xberk on 3/1/2017, 10:56 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

wayne-severson wrote on 3/1/2017, 3:38 PM

Now that seems like a good idea!

I rarely use the trimmer. But I frequently use a second or even third instance of Vegas instead. The ability to use multiple instances of Vegas, to me, is by far the most powerful feature. To me, a new instance of Vegas is like the trimmer on steroids. The only thing I find useful and unique to the trimmer is to embed a marker as described above by Marco.

At this point in my life nearly all of my footage is recorded to music or as music, so where it lives on the time line is already set. I just need to choose which video take or which camera gets used at any given moment. So I'm thinking the trimmer will be of little value to me. That said, once I get a real grip on what I'm doing I will explore further possibilities.

Richard Jones wrote on 3/2/2017, 6:03 AM

At first flush xberk's idea seems brilliant, I'll try it as soon as I have a suitable task but I have to say that, having given it some further thought, it does seem a little cumbersome as you presumably have to copy and paste between the open projects on the different Vegas instances (i.e. programs) with these all having to be open at the same time to achieve this - or am I missing something?

Richard

Arthur.S wrote on 3/2/2017, 7:55 AM

I'm +1 for the trimmer. I go through every clip (double click in explorer to load in trimmer) I+O where I want them, then drag onto TL where I want the clip. I find this fast and flexible. What this thread shows though, is that Vegas has more than one way to skin a cat. 😊

Richard Jones wrote on 3/2/2017, 8:27 AM

Try pressing A to add to the Time line after the cursor (use Tab to select video only or audio only)

Richard

JMacSTL wrote on 3/2/2017, 11:37 AM

The trimmer is the one thing that ProTools lacks that makes Vegas a better solution for me. I use it to highlight, mark, and then place segments of clips of audio. Particularly voiceover bits and pieces, and SFX. Many SFX files have multiple sounds in each file. Using the trimmer to play and find the one you want, and then spot it onto the timeline is much faster than placing the entire file onto a track, and then finding, cutting, copying, pasting.

The AMS Audiofile, which I started working with in 1989 had this feature. Without it, spotting SFX and dialog was too tedious and created a messing timeline. Sony was very smart when they created Vegas, copying this very powerful feature.

Last changed by JMacSTL on 3/2/2017, 11:38 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

jmm in stl

Windows10 with Vegas 11 Pro (most recent build). Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz, 32GB ram, separate audio and video disks. Also Vegas 17 Pro on same system. GPU: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. Dynamic RAM preview=OFF.

xberk wrote on 3/2/2017, 12:01 PM

At first flush xberk's idea seems brilliant, I'll try it as soon as I have a suitable task but I have to say that, having given it some further thought, it does seem a little cumbersome as you presumably have to copy and paste between the open projects on the different Vegas instances (i.e. programs) with these all having to be open at the same time to achieve this - or am I missing something?

Richard

Yes. You have to have both instances of Vegas open at the same time ( my system handles this well ) and you need to copy and paste between them. Not a panacea for all situations. Works well for me. Your mileage may vary.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

marc-s wrote on 3/2/2017, 2:36 PM

Huge fan of the trimmer. One of the reasons I still use Vegas. Imagine (5) 30 minute interviews with ten excerpts each. Create and name a region for each excerpt and it's a great organizing tool before you start editing on the timeline. That said I would really like to see multiple timelines in the next version like Premiere has. Long overdue and would be very helpful in other situations.

Former user wrote on 3/2/2017, 11:40 PM

+1 for multiple timelines, after working in After Effects and going back to Vegas, I miss that feature.

Grazie wrote on 3/3/2017, 1:19 AM

The Trimmer is where I choose my rough shot selection, and drag to T/L. If I need more from the Trimmer Media, maybe I make a Subbie.

Last changed by Grazie on 3/3/2017, 1:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Grazie

PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel Core i9 10900X s2066 * EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10GB - Studio Driver 551.23 * 4x16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 2666C16 * Asus TUF X299 MK 2

Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Arthur.S wrote on 3/3/2017, 1:46 AM

Try pressing A to add to the Time line after the cursor (use Tab to select video only or audio only)

Richar

Arthur.S wrote on 3/3/2017, 1:50 AM

I don't always want the clip at the cursor Richard. That's why I find dragging more flexible and suits me better. This thread certainly shows how flexible Vegas is - for all it's faults.

set wrote on 3/3/2017, 2:20 AM

+1 for multiple timelines, after working in After Effects and going back to Vegas, I miss that feature.

Besides of multiple timelines from one Vegas Pro application, you can run multiple Vegas Pros. And you can copy-paste the clips between these Vegas Pros.

But however, this feature can't run on Vegas Pro Steam Edition.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.