Goulian Vegas Pro Contest

equinoxdave wrote on 7/22/2013, 8:58 AM
I was hoping someone could clarify something for me? I'm considering a submission for the Vegas Pro/Goulian Aerosports contest and I've reviewed the fantastic sample videos produced by the 6 professional filmmakers. On the webpage it says:
"We asked six filmmakers to demonstrate the power of Vegas™ Pro by creating a promotional video for Goulian Aerosports, an award-winning aerobatic team. Relying solely on the content provided by Michael Goulian, each filmmaker used their Vegas Pro-centric media production toolkit to create a video uniquely their own."

What confuses me is some of those videos included audio from other sources that were not part of the content files. The rules clearly state that no other original audio can be incorporated into our video submissions so can someone clarify how the examples stayed within contest guidelines?
Thanks!

Comments

Jedman wrote on 7/23/2013, 5:12 PM
I think the examples are from the Pros they invited to have a dig at it first.
The rules for the rest of us are pretty strict.... Use only the files provided.
It does say you can manipulate those files in other apps as long as they come back in to Vegas before finishing.
The way I read it though, All titling must be done in Vegas exclusively.
Good luck with it.
ForumAdmin wrote on 7/24/2013, 9:27 AM
The Vegas Pros were all provided the same materials and guidelines, but a couple were granted license to bend the rules and use original audio that they created in Vegas Pro. We ask that all contest entrants use only the files provided, as that provides a level playing field for all entrants.

Thanks for your interest in the contest. For others who are interested in learning more, you can check it out at: https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/nextvegaspro
equinoxdave wrote on 7/24/2013, 2:44 PM
Thank you for responding and clarifying the rules of the contest. Not sure if I will compete in this contest as the audio provided lacks the inspiration I need to assemble an exciting sequence that Goulian Aerosports would be proud to have represent them. Audio drives my creations which is why I've loved Vegas since the Sonic Foundry days and is my favorite editing platform. I'm surely not as gifted of an editor as many here but I do know how to use audio to drive a set of images and compel a viewer to want to watch something over and over. The only chance of me winning a contest for editing is by picking or creating the best audio track! The "Secondo" soundtrack is just the wrong backdrop for such a talented pilot and impressive footage. Maybe next time you could create a contest that incorporates audio creativity and even promotes the sales of Sony Acid, Royalty free tracks, etc. since it's what the ears hear that often makes or breaks any visual presentation. Just food for thought from an audio-centric editor.
Jedman wrote on 7/24/2013, 8:30 PM
Thanks for chiming in Forumadmin.
I love a contest :)
Dave, re, having to use the one piece of music... I think thats what makes it interesting. The more limited the material, the more we as individuals have to put our own spin on it.
Also it is like being in a professional envionment....
Here is x and y, make it great.
You dont always have more options.
Cheers guys.
set wrote on 7/24/2013, 9:11 PM
Hello Forumadmin,

Additional question from me as I seen on downloaded content:
4. Each video must include the animated Goulian logo.
May I make a composite background for this 'MGAS logo_Sony.MXF' clip or we must leave it as it is (Black Background) ?

9. Please complete and return the release form.
I better check twice when dealing with these forms, which form is it?
SCS Release for Use of Footage ?
or Tax Forms found on Rules page? I got error when opening the PDF link.

Thank you,

Setiawan

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

ritsmer wrote on 7/25/2013, 2:33 AM
@ equinoxdave - point 8 in the guidelines says: "You may augment your Vegas production with other applications, such as After Effects, as long as everything ends up in Vegas."
So one might speculate if one could "augment" a little using Acid?
There surely is a totally silent piece of media somewhere which could be well augmented :- )

Unfortunately I am not one of the pros selected to participate in this project - probably because -despite of editing in Vegas for several hours a day for years- I am not considered being a real pro - but I would have liked to do that using the interesting footage provided.
I even made up a nice plan (IMHO) and started editing before I realized that one has to be selected to participate.
Jedman wrote on 7/25/2013, 3:51 AM
Pretty sure anyone can participate in this ritsmer.
Jump in.
ritsmer wrote on 7/25/2013, 4:19 AM
That was what I thought at the beginning - but after reading the downloaded guidelines "Everyone involved in this project was selected because you have a unique visual style " I got some second thoughts... as it seems that the participants were selected .. and so -if one was not *selected*- it might waste of time ...

If ForumAdmin answers this - please also confirm that ALL the material you get by downloading the 2 folders can be used for the contest??? - just to be sure,.
Jedman wrote on 7/25/2013, 4:26 AM
No mate, that quote was from the original release to some Pros that had first crack at it.
The admin that replied above even states they ( the pros) were granted extra latitude with their audio tracks, bet we ( us average Joes like you and I) must stick to the supplied media only.
Its for everyone, have a crack.
MUTTLEY wrote on 7/27/2013, 5:23 PM

As far as the music in mine, I spent a good day or two trying to cut to the fast heavy rock song that was provided and wasn't getting anywhere fast. After pretty much giving up on using it as is I tried tweaking it in Acid to no avail. Starting from scratch I just threw all of the assets on the timeline and while futzing around without direction noticed that one of the videos they had given us, "Mike MMU Tour2," actually had a music track and that's when things started to click. Didn't like the entire retro-techo-ish song but loved the fact that it had a segment that sounded like dubstep. Chopped that up to my liking and though I wasn't sure if it would fly (no pun intended) technically it did fit the "Use only the files provided" stipulation =)

- Ray
Underground Planet
ritsmer wrote on 7/28/2013, 12:30 AM
Agree - it is the reason I asked above directly to ForumAdmin if ALL the downloaded media could be used.

So far no answer .... but it would a shame to make the effort for Sonys contest with unallowed -albeit very suitable- music.

So, as Mr. Goulian would say: We are stalling.
Jedman wrote on 7/28/2013, 6:29 AM
I read it as, anything that was in those downloaded folders was okay to use in any way you saw fit. Be good to hear from an Admin to confirm though.
So are you guys going to post a link here to your vids?
Be great to check them out.
Jedman wrote on 7/30/2013, 5:32 AM
I figure an admin will glance at this sometime.
Question;-
If you use Cineform as an intermediate is it ok to apply a Filmstyle LUT in First LIght before final render out of Vegas?
Thanks
TheHappyFriar wrote on 7/30/2013, 6:43 AM
The instructions that come with the video clips seems VERY specific and answered all these questions.

Only question I have is that the included instructions say you must include a "made with Vegas Pro 12" mention but the contest doesn't require VP12.

Maybe I'll make one up in 10 & let SCS/Goulian Aerosports decide. 8)
ritsmer wrote on 7/30/2013, 3:21 PM
HappyFriar: If the instructions are that VERY specific then it should be VERY easy to answer the questions - let's take two examples:

1) The contests downloaded guidelines say: Everyone involved in this project was selected because you have a unique visual style - IMHO indicating that only some (who ?? ) selected ones should participate - On the contest Homepage, however, is stated that The Contest is open to You if You are at least the legal age of .
In my eyes kinda contradicting.

2) The guidelines say Use only the content provided - implicating, IMHO, that your contribution will be disqualified if you use content "not provided for the contest".
Now, when you download the material there is a folder "Vegas Pros Goulian Soundtrack" and some other material that clearly is clips provided for an editing contest.
At the end is added what clearly looks like somebody's well done and finished contribution to the same contest
- now: is it really VERY clear if we may use only the provided clips and the provided 3 soundtracks - or is it allowed to cannibalize from the "provided" example - which, however - does NOT use the provided "Vegas Pros Goulian Soundtrack"....?? ah??

Obviously some of the above questions makers are interested in using the needed time (could be DAYS) to edit and contribute to this contest - and so - it is not quite understandable for me that Sony does not use the less than one minute it would take to clarify their obviously fair questions.

Imagine having used some full days and "all the supplied material" and getting your nice and time consuming contribution disqualified after one second of the judges watching it - because you used some of the soundtrack from the example - and not from the supplied "Vegas Pros Goulian Soundtrack"....
or imagine having used the - say - rather difficult - supplied "Vegas Pros Goulian Soundtrack" and then see that another contestant wins because he used the much more accessible soundtrack from what seems to be an example ??

In the answer to equinoxdave above the ForumAdmin says "We ask that all contest entrants use only the files provided, as that provides a level playing field for all entrants." - nice - but still leaving unceartainty as to if the added example is just an example provided outside of the contest or actually part of the contest....

My intention is not to complain about anything in this quite interesting contest - only to urge Sony to clarify the above questions so that the largest possible number of Vegas fans can enjoy and edit their contributions on a well defined basis.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 7/30/2013, 3:57 PM
Here's what the file "Vegas Pro Guidlines.docx" says:
Vegas Pros Guidelines
INTENT: using a finite set of content, demonstrate the versatility of Vegas Pro.
GUIDELINES:
1. Use only the content provided.
2. Titles must be created in Vegas Pro.
3. Audio can be edited/processed in any way you see fit.
4. Each video must include the animated Goulian logo.
5. Each video must include a “made with Vegas Pro 12” mention.
6. Each video must include filmmaker’s name/studio.
7. Each video must be under 60 seconds long in total (including titles, etc.).
8. You may augment your Vegas production with other applications, such as After Effects, as long as everything ends up in Vegas.
9. Please complete and return the release form.

SUMMARY:
Do what you do. Everyone involved in this project was selected because you have a unique visual style (and you know Vegas). Use this opportunity to definitively put your creative mark on the media, and push Vegas Pro to its limits.

Now, your #1 question isn't even listed in the guidelines. So it's not a guideline. Oopes. :) Is it safe to assume that you don't have a unique visual style so you shouldn't be one of the people allowed to download the stuff and enter the contest? ;) *I* feel privileged I was one of the ones allowed to enter the contest. :D

#2, it says "Use only the content provided". Anything provided is allowed to be used. Not sure what the question is there. If you're worried about something then just don't use it, but the rules say "use only the content provided". It's provided. I'm not seeing an issue with using it. If they didn't mean to include it then someone over at SCS is saying "oopes" right now.
ritsmer wrote on 7/30/2013, 4:11 PM
1) Vegas Pros Guidelines

2) There is a substantial difference between

-what is clearly material provided for the contest and

-what clearly is somebody's example as to how it could be done.
That he has made his contribution without the soundtrack that he downloaded (what he downloaded could impossibly contain his finished example) hardly gives us the right to cannibalize from this example.

It's getting late here in Europe now, so see you all tomorrow hoping that ForumAdmin has used some 30 seconds to enlighten the doubts of me and several other users above in this thread by saying YES you may use the soundtrack from the EXAMPLE or you may NOT.

Over and out.

TheHappyFriar wrote on 7/30/2013, 5:40 PM
That video file WAS INCLUDED. They said use the stuff that was included.
Jedman wrote on 7/30/2013, 5:43 PM
Im sorry, I can't see where all the second guessing is coming from regarding what material you can use.
Simple- They gave you a folder of material that you can use, if its in the folder.... you can use it in any way you see fit.
Unless of course it is in the folder marked "EXAMPLE ONLY, DONT USE".
But wait, there was no folder marked that way or with anything similar.
If its in the download, you can use it. Anything else would be misleading.

The guidelines state-

8. You may augment your Vegas production with other applications, such as After Effects, as long as everything ends up in Vegas.

Poorly worded IMO.
That would mean you could cut in Vegas and CC in AFX.
Or worse, Cut in Premiere, CC in AFX, compress for upload in Vegas. Ridiculous I know, but still in line with point 8 in the guidelines.

What I asked up above was more ambiguous,
The metadata LUTs used in Cineform files are not adjustable in Vegas or any other editor. I can't imagine its against the ethos of the contest, but confirmation would be good.

FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 7/30/2013, 11:10 PM
.......and no one mentioned that it's 3GB to download. I hope it downloads before the competition ends then I'll just throw the media into Scattershot and use whatever comes out the other end. :))

Captains log:
Downloading Part 1 at 16/s KB/sec We have until end of August
Over.... ggickk
ritsmer wrote on 7/31/2013, 3:28 AM
The full contest rules here https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/nextvegaspro/rules say

"Tax Forms
non-U.S. residents: Form W-8BEN | Instructions"

but when I click it I get:

"The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

It has been mentioned before - but it is still not corrected ...

set wrote on 7/31/2013, 4:37 AM
ritsmer, same issue... file unavailable.
I'm a bit confused on which form must be filled and returned.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Rory Cooper wrote on 7/31/2013, 4:39 AM
Yes the non US page is unavailable just when was hoping to pay more tax… pity.

How many audio trax do you get to choose from or mix from?
ritsmer wrote on 7/31/2013, 12:12 PM
It seems not to be quite sure for everybody.

Would really like you to download the material, check it, read the guidelines and the contest rules, and then tell what you "assume" :- )