How to send error reports using the Problem Reporting Service (PRS)

VEGAS_EricD wrote on 9/23/2016, 1:21 PM

When using Vegas Pro 14/15, if an error occurs, a PRS Problem Reporting Service window will appear.  To send that error report to VEGAS support, place a check in the box to show problem details, then hold down control and shift on your keyboard while clicking send.  This will cause the report to be zipped and a message will appear alerting you to where this report exists on your hard drive.  You may then attach the report to your support ticket.

Comments

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 1:46 PM

Thank you. I will make sure this gets an FAQ tag if we get one, or otherwise goes into a future FAQs post in "important posts".

EDIT: Uodated PRS procedure here: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-submit-a-vegas-pro-problem-report-for-a-crash-or-hang--143697/

NormanPCN wrote on 9/23/2016, 2:10 PM

So the PRS window is not listing these instructions? If not then why not? The forum seems the wrong place to be giving such instructions.

paul-marshall wrote on 9/25/2016, 3:54 AM

I've had plenty of errors but no PRS window.

Windows 11.0 (64-bit)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight-Core Processor i9-11900K (3.5GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z590 UD AC (C (LGA1200, USB 3.2)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
GPU Nvidia GEFORCE RTX3060Ti
I/O drives: Intel SSD PEKNU020TZ 2TB, Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB, Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB
SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 2TB, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Audio: Soundblaster Z SE
Cameras: Sony AX-700, A7-IV, RX10-II
Vegas Po 21 latest version. Vegas user since V10

NickHope wrote on 9/27/2016, 12:45 AM

So I tried this today. I pressed <CTRL> and <SHIFT> on the keyboard and pressed send. After a green progress bar appeared, I got this (note, still in a Sony folder):

I clicked on "Show in File Explorer" and got this (in Directory Opus, my File Explorer replacement):

I clicked on "Create new email" and it opened in Google Chrome, which I never use. My default browser is Firefox and I use Gmail. Moreover it just opened a blank page in Chrome, not any email interface. Does that mean it has somehow sent an email invisibly via Chrome? Or has it failed?

Anyway this is a useful feature to attach the zipped problem report to an ongoing support ticket after an email dialogue has begun.

I hope the support department implements a support system that allows users to add more information to a support ticket like (I think) the old SCS system did, rather than just reply to their acknowledgment emails.

keith-forman wrote on 9/27/2016, 11:46 AM

How many times does one have to send a report before an issues if fixed? Vegas 13 and 14 constantly crashes after I select the "Render" option.  Vegas has stopped working is the error message

NickHope wrote on 9/27/2016, 12:07 PM

How many times does one have to send a report before an issues if fixed? Vegas 13 and 14 constantly crashes after I select the "Render" option.  Vegas has stopped working is the error message

You need to submit a support request at https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/vegas/form explaining the problem in as much detail as possible. When you receive an acknowledgment email of your support request, reply to it and attach the zipped Problem Report as described in the original post.

keith-forman wrote on 9/27/2016, 1:40 PM

Vegas asks if the information should be sent to support after the crash. It has never been addressed or fixed.  That is one of the reasons I am not upgrading. Other other is that there has not been any signifcant features added in years and is not longer a professional level product.

James Moore wrote on 9/29/2016, 12:47 PM

I have had numerous crashes and render problems with VP14.  Not once has there been a prompt asking me to send information.

I reported a problem to the Magix Tech support online and never received any reply not even an auto-mailer telling me the support request has been received.  I did post a Tech support request to Red Giant regarding getting plural eyes and received an auto-acknowledgement and then a reply saying they would like to get Plural Eyes working but have no ETA on that happening.

I was trying to do a small job using VP14 but it seems impossible to do so.  I've got to re-do the work I've done in VP13 as VP14 can't seem to render out the project even if I could keep the program running to complete it.

NormanPCN wrote on 9/29/2016, 12:53 PM

That is really no different than the support I got from SCS with Vegas. Replies often took about a month. Fast was still at least a week.

James Moore wrote on 9/29/2016, 12:58 PM

Hopefully they've got a crack beta team working with developers on this but something tells me they don't...

James Moore wrote on 9/29/2016, 2:58 PM

Well, I figured a few things out and it isn't as bad as I thought.  The reason why VP14 was having trouble loading projects was because one of the files was on a network drive and there was a networking problem.  VP14 just hung because it couldn't link to it.

The render problem came when I used a preset that appeared in the render menu's.  It was a pre-set I created in VP13 and it works fine in VP13.  VP14 loaded the same preset list as VP13 (I think this is probably not the intended path for VP14 render pre-sets but that's where VP14 looks - the sony directory).  If I render using a standard preset it seems to render fine.

I will push forward with this little project in VP14 after all.

NickHope wrote on 9/29/2016, 8:50 PM
I reported a problem to the Magix Tech support online and never received any reply not even an auto-mailer telling me the support request has been received.

That is unusual. I have submitted a lot of reports via https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/vegas/form and 100% of the time I receive a near instant acknowledgment from MAGIX Support via mail.magix-support.net with the ticket number in the subject line. Maybe going to your spam folder?

skosh wrote on 9/29/2016, 10:44 PM

Like NormanPCN said this is the last place you need to post on how to handle errors. Exception handling within Vegas should just "catch" the error and automatically zip it up and perhaps even send if there is some system that asks the user for permission to automatically send crash info like many applications do. There is no reason that isn't possible now.

The problem you had Nick Hope with the browser was most likely due to hardcoding a value or a variable that still has Sony in it. This whole transition has sapped my hopes as the same experience I had with 12 and 13 with NewBlue installs seems to be the case with 14. Has anyone tested this?

For now I will refrain from the trial as there are many issues and the fact that I did not get an update email and have been a Vegas user since V2 and own 13 Suite along with Boris Red/BCC and other plugins. What I did get however were emails for FastCut,Movie Edit Pro Plus, Photostory Deluxe(The New 2017 Version). I personally doubt that the database has errors as Sony sent offers all day long over the past few years. I think that perhaps the person writing the SQL to get the data does not understand the database or how to write queries against it. The trend in basically most all software now is devloped using Agile/ scrum masters/sprints/user stories and is why we see deployments like this all over the place. The focus is not on the software and the person who runs the development is marketing orientated based on "trends". Sad. :(

There is no reason that when a new release is made that having the third party items to work turns into something that basically wastes peoples time. It seems things are rushed to be released(market) however have basically not been sufficiently tested. What is wrong with old days when asked when will you release and the response was it is ready when it is ready? The funny thing with that was it was probably bug free. :) Users should not be beta testers!

James Moore wrote on 9/30/2016, 10:40 AM
I reported a problem to the Magix Tech support online and never received any reply not even an auto-mailer telling me the support request has been received.

That is unusual. I have submitted a lot of reports via https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/vegas/form and 100% of the time I receive a near instant acknowledgment from MAGIX Support via mail.magix-support.net with the ticket number in the subject line. Maybe going to your spam folder?

No,nothing in my spam folder and that is the link I followed to submit a Pro Res bug/support issue.  I've searched my email and I did get an answer, but no auto-respond, to a support request regarding finding the upgrade info.

keith-forman wrote on 9/30/2016, 12:42 PM

I just did that for the countless time. When is the problem going to be fixed? When using Vegas Pro 14, if an error occurs, a PRS Problem Reporting Service window will appear.  To send that error report to VEGAS support, place a check in the box to show problem details, then hold down control and shift on your keyboard while clicking send.  This will cause the report to be zipped and a message will appear alerting you to where this report exists on your hard drive.  You may then attach the report to your support ticket.

Paul-Fierlinger wrote on 10/1/2016, 9:33 AM

V 14: Both key command Ctrl+Home and pressing on the Preview video control icon turn all events to black.

EDIT: I just discovered that this happens only with expanded tracks. I still believe this needs to be fixed.

EDIT EDIT: After having done some adjustments to my computer this complaint has become moot. 

Guido3d wrote on 10/12/2016, 7:51 PM

Please fix the spanish translation of the site, I can't send anything to support because it is unable the product selection. I've tried in Chrome, Firefox, Edge and IE. The only way to fix this it is to change manually "es" to "en" in the url. Vegas 14 it is full of bugs and crashes and sending reports to technical service it never happens as older versions.

video777 wrote on 11/29/2016, 11:43 AM

I made the mistake of upgrading to Vegas 14 and so far it will not even start; it crashes on opening. Fortunately, it didn't break 11 which only crashes when editing.

altarvic wrote on 11/29/2016, 1:08 PM

@video777

I think that this is a problem with some older plugin. One way to find it - is to remove all of them and install one by one again. 👎

video777 wrote on 11/29/2016, 1:59 PM

@video777

I think that this is a problem with some older plugin. One way to find it - is to remove all of them and install one by one again. 👎

So it may be related to my Vegas 11 install? I don't mind uninstalling the NewBlue plugins. I also have some other ones. Thanks for the suggestion.

teaktart wrote on 12/29/2016, 12:25 AM

I've been struggling with V14 to do a 3 cam Multi Cam Edit. Some times I can actually work for an hour before the crashing begins and no matter how many times I save after every couple of cuts its all lost on the autosave version... A total waste of my time and super frustrating. Constant rebooting isn't helping, upgraded video card drivers, rolled back some Windows Updates....trying to get functional... Hate this...and, no matter how many 'error reports' get sent no response .....
Clearly I'm not alone....
Just installed build 211 and couldn't even get 5 minute into it without a total crash, yet again....

NickHope wrote on 12/29/2016, 6:22 AM

Just installed build 211 and couldn't even get 5 minute into it without a total crash, yet again....

There are lots of things to try in this post: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-troubleshooting-crashing-and-stability--104785/

If that doesn't help please start a new thread as this one is (supposed to be) about the PRS service.

keith-forman wrote on 12/29/2016, 7:54 AM

The problem is with Vegas. My PC meets all the needed specs.

NickHope wrote on 12/29/2016, 9:35 AM

The problem is with Vegas. My PC meets all the needed specs.

If you're referring to the problem you reported 3 months ago, there are many things that could cause a render crash even though your PC meets the system requirements. See this post and the post it links to in the first point: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-stop-vegas-pro-hanging-during-rendering--104786/