M2TS Sometimes Pixelation and Artifacts, Vegas Pro 14, Build 178

Happy wrote on 11/6/2016, 7:04 AM

After rendering a m2ts (AVCHD 1440x1080-50i) clip,  there is some pixelation and artifacts showing.
This is also visible in the timmer/preview window. However, the original clip is free of these abnormalities.
Moreover when processing these clips in Vegas Pro 13, the clips turn out  fine...
The problem occurs with some clips, not all of them.
I am using the trial version, is this a known issue? Unfortunately at this point it is not interesting to upgrade...

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 11/6/2016, 8:37 AM

Original clip was?    You rendered using Sony AVC?    Deinterlacing filter on preview turned on?   More details please.

I can render to 1440 50i without pixelation.

Happy wrote on 11/6/2016, 10:11 AM

Original clip Sony AVC, rendered matching project properties.

Clip below in Vegas 14, artifacts after 1 second

in Vegas 13 no problems in both trimmer/preview...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25cOGH1nL7mZEVYb2pxUGVZLW8/view?usp=sharing

Quitter wrote on 11/6/2016, 3:08 PM

maybe your preview settings are to low or auto, try higher settings

Camcorder: Sony CX 520 VE
Hardware:   Acer NG-A717-72G-71YD, Win 11 , i7-8750 H, 16GB, GTX 1060 6GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD
NLE:  Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 Build 453
            Vegas Pro 14.0 Build 270
            Vegas Pro 21.0 Build 300

Kinvermark wrote on 11/6/2016, 7:02 PM

Not quite getting what you are doing ...

File from camera (what is THIS?)   - render to 1440 50i in vegas 13 -  then place on timeline in Vegas 14 ? Then re-render?  

How about this instead: 

Put camera file on Vegas 13 timeline, match project settings to media,  then render  = sample1

Put camera file on Vegas 14 timeline, match project settings to media, then render = sample 2  

(make sure ALL settings same between vegas  13/14 for both timeline and render template, including turning GPU rendering off it it isn't already.)

Do you see a difference between these two samples?  Judge in media player not in Vegas.

Happy wrote on 11/6/2016, 7:36 PM

Sorry I was not clear. The file I shared earlier was the original unprocessed camera clip, in case someone wanted to try to render in Vegas Pro 13 and 14 and see for themselves the artifacts that result from Vegas Pro 14 processing. This is one of a number of clips used to compile a video. I started compiling with Vegas Pro 14 when I noticed the artifacts. Now I went back to Vegas Pro 13 to finish the project. 

Following your suggestion below two links to the clips rendered (same  settings/no gpu) with Vegas Pro 13 and 14.

The one rendered with Vegas Pro 14 shows artifacts after about 1 second in, as you can see for yourself, doesn't matter which media player...

Sample Vegas Pro 13:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25cOGH1nL7mck9aak5JR1JNSFU/view?usp=sharing

Sample Vegas Pro 14:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25cOGH1nL7meVNCc0RONFRyN1U/view?usp=sharing

Hope all clear...

Kinvermark wrote on 11/6/2016, 8:14 PM

OK, got it , that's clear   😀

I can see your Vegas 14 sample has obvious and serious render glitches.   I downloaded your original file into Vegas 14 and rendered it to 1440/50i  SonyAVC template.  Result:  no visible artifacts/glitches in preview OR in rendered file. It looks just like original.

So, looks like maybe something unique to your machine, so I would say try to isolate variables.  Render to different formats, turn off GPU processing everywhere (preview device, render), ...  By the way, did you use any effects, make project template changes, etc.?  

I'll try a few things here to see if I can re-create the problem.

ADDED:  OK, if I change the project properties to "Full Resolution Rendering Quality" = Draft  I get the same glitches/artifacts as you.   Is this the problem?

Happy wrote on 11/7/2016, 3:53 AM

OK, got it , that's clear   😀

I can see your Vegas 14 sample has obvious and serious render glitches.   I downloaded your original file into Vegas 14 and rendered it to 1440/50i  SonyAVC template.  Result:  no visible artifacts/glitches in preview OR in rendered file. It looks just like original.

So, looks like maybe something unique to your machine, so I would say try to isolate variables.  Render to different formats, turn off GPU processing everywhere (preview device, render), ...  By the way, did you use any effects, make project template changes, etc.?  

I'll try a few things here to see if I can re-create the problem.

ADDED:  OK, if I change the project properties to "Full Resolution Rendering Quality" = Draft  I get the same glitches/artifacts as you.   Is this the problem?

In both Vegas versions the files were rendered with the standard settings and the Project Properties matching the media properties. No GPU or template changes; "Full Resolution Rendering Quality" = Good, also standard.

The artifacts are even visible in the trimmer window, weird, I can't think of anything unique to my machine that makes Vegas Pro 13 work well and version 14 not. I think I am going to stick with Vegas Pro 13, works fine for me. I also noticed a VTS_01_0.IFO loaded in Vegas Pro 14 had separate video and audio dropouts at the point between 2 VOB files, while that same transition point was seamless/flawless in Vegas Pro 13...

I was thinking it was a general software problem, but what to do if everything is working fine on your end...

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

Vegas Pro 14 snapshot of the Trimmer Window:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25cOGH1nL7mTUh1amRhM2tnbVE/view?usp=sharing

apvv wrote on 11/7/2016, 3:10 PM

After rendering a m2ts (AVCHD 1440x1080-50i) clip,  there is some pixelation and artifacts showing.
This is also visible in the timmer/preview window. However, the original clip is free of these abnormalities.
Moreover when processing these clips in Vegas Pro 13, the clips turn out  fine...
The problem occurs with some clips, not all of them.
I am using the trial version, is this a known issue? Unfortunately at this point it is not interesting to upgrade...

I confirm this bug and situation mentioned above is not present in VP13 and everything are fine.In latest VP14 build this bug is present.

Happy wrote on 11/7/2016, 3:39 PM

OK, good to know, were you able to recrate it, or do you know of more users having the same problem? Strange that 'Kinvermark' above had no issues with VP14...

Do you also know about this issue that I mentioned earlier?:

"I also noticed a VTS_01_0.IFO loaded in Vegas Pro 14 had separate video and audio dropouts at the point between 2 VOB files, while that same transition point was seamless/flawless in Vegas Pro 13..."

To me it seems that for these type of projects VP13 is the more reliable version...

Kinvermark wrote on 11/7/2016, 6:51 PM

Interesting...  so I am actually on Vegas 14 but a different build (161) - sorry, I just noticed.   No way I am going to update to the next build in order to test if it is defective, so perhaps somebody else with build 161 can test your file to confirm it works for them too.    If 161 works, but 178 does not then I think you should report it to Magix as a bug and send them your file.

NickHope wrote on 11/8/2016, 12:35 AM

I rendered your original 20120516062630.m2ts file using the Sony AVC/MVC "AVCHD 1440x1080-50i" template. I rendered in both VP13.453 and VP14.189 at both "Good" and "Best" full-resolution rendering quality. GPU acceleration was off in all cases. In all 4 cases the rendered files are identical and visually difficult to distinguish from the original.

apvv wrote on 11/8/2016, 3:04 AM

OK, good to know, were you able to recrate it, or do you know of more users having the same problem? Strange that 'Kinvermark' above had no issues with VP14...

Do you also know about this issue that I mentioned earlier?:

"I also noticed a VTS_01_0.IFO loaded in Vegas Pro 14 had separate video and audio dropouts at the point between 2 VOB files, while that same transition point was seamless/flawless in Vegas Pro 13..."

To me it seems that for these type of projects VP13 is the more reliable version...

I don`t know (until now) other users having the same bug.Maybe it`s more but they don`t notice or report.Yes,right now VP13 for us is the best choice.I have the latest build (189) tested already and showing the same bug (blockiness/compresion artifacts).Please notice that this bug is present aleatory in some clips,not in all.It`s "mts" files from camcorder.Playing in VP13 from the timeline this clips and rendering after it`s ok in both cases but in every VP14 builds playing and rendering after show aleatory blockiness/compresion artifacts in both cases also.I guess perhaps it has to do with certain "mts" files from from some particularly camcorders.Anyway,you can report too this bug to Magix directly.

NickHope wrote on 11/8/2016, 3:13 AM

My testing leads me to suspect it's due to different preferences and/or project properties and/or render settings between VP13 and 14. Check and double check every setting.

hessam wrote on 11/8/2016, 4:09 AM

I have this problem too on build 189 with h264 clips. but with build 161 there was no problem. after testing with different settings I came up with this:

- only some h264 clips will have this block artifacts problem in vegas (preview/render/trimmer...)

- no matter what setting in vegas you have, the problem still there.

- if I compress the original clip using Handbrake with highest setting : problem still there

- if I compress the original clip using Adobe Media Encoder whit exact same settings as Handbrake : clips look good in vegas.

- I uninstalled k-lite Codec Pack : no difference, problem still there.

- I opened some previous complex projects that had been done in VP13 and they have thi sproblem in VP14 build 189.

I guess somehow this problem relates to codecs used in build 189 ...

hessam wrote on 11/8/2016, 4:18 AM

Sorry I was not clear. The file I shared earlier was the original unprocessed camera clip, in case someone wanted to try to render in Vegas Pro 13 and 14 and see for themselves the artifacts that result from Vegas Pro 14 processing. This is one of a number of clips used to compile a video. I started compiling with Vegas Pro 14 when I noticed the artifacts. Now I went back to Vegas Pro 13 to finish the project. 

Following your suggestion below two links to the clips rendered (same  settings/no gpu) with Vegas Pro 13 and 14.

The one rendered with Vegas Pro 14 shows artifacts after about 1 second in, as you can see for yourself, doesn't matter which media player...

Sample Vegas Pro 13:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25cOGH1nL7mck9aak5JR1JNSFU/view?usp=sharing

Sample Vegas Pro 14:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25cOGH1nL7meVNCc0RONFRyN1U/view?usp=sharing

Hope all clear...

Just tested your original clip in vegas 14 Build 189  with different settings. exact same problem.

then compressed it in Adobe Media Encoder with different bitrate and h264 codec and mp4 container, then it showed up good in vegas

strange

apvv wrote on 11/8/2016, 5:01 AM

My testing leads me to suspect it's due to different preferences and/or project properties and/or render settings between VP13 and 14. Check and double check every setting.

The same project preferences in VP13 and VP14 (included latest build 189).This blockiness/pixelation/artifacts shows in VP14 when playing from timeline(before rendering).After rendering the results it`s the same.

I have this problem too on build 189 with h264 clips. but with build 161 there was no problem. after testing with different settings I came up with this:

- only some h264 clips will have this block artifacts problem in vegas (preview/render/trimmer...)

- no matter what setting in vegas you have, the problem still there.

- if I compress the original clip using Handbrake with highest setting : problem still there

- if I compress the original clip using Adobe Media Encoder whit exact same settings as Handbrake : clips look good in vegas.

- I uninstalled k-lite Codec Pack : no difference, problem still there.

- I opened some previous complex projects that had been done in VP13 and they have thi sproblem in VP14 build 189.

I guess somehow this problem relates to codecs used in build 189 ...

Another user with the same situation/bug(blockiness/pixelation/artifacts).I agree with your points that only some clips shows this situation,no matter what project preferences.About Adobe test I don`t know.Perhaps as I already mentioned it has to do with certain "mts" files from from some particularly camcorders.In VP13 this "mts" files from camcorder are fine.In every VP14 build (present) it`s not.Anyway,you can report too this bug to Magix directly.

NickHope wrote on 11/8/2016, 5:03 AM

Those who are getting this problem, there are too many variables potentially involved to be able to confirm and diagnose the problem from the information being given. Please let us know the exact details of your setup:

• Windows version (including the build number if it's 10)
  • Vegas versions including build number
  • GPU model and driver version
  • Source media format (a MediaInfo report would be useful)
  • Project Properties (a screenshot would be useful)
  • Render settings (a screenshot would be useful)
  • Confirmation of whether GPU acceleration of video processing is off or on
Happy wrote on 11/8/2016, 10:19 AM

I rendered your original 20120516062630.m2ts file using the Sony AVC/MVC "AVCHD 1440x1080-50i" template. I rendered in both VP13.453 and VP14.189 at both "Good" and "Best" full-resolution rendering quality. GPU acceleration was off in all cases. In all 4 cases the rendered files are identical and visually difficult to distinguish from the original.

You're lucky, the only one not being able to reproduce this issue...

Above contributions lead me to believe that VP14 has a flaw and that the project properties or render settings are not the reason for the issue, specially given the fact that the issue even manifests in the trimmer window...

I reported the issue, I feel this is something for MAGIX to look at, meanwhile I removed VP14 and continue using VP 13 which works wonderfully for me, also lacking the other VP14 flaw with VOB files ...

apvv wrote on 11/8/2016, 10:51 AM

You're lucky, the only one not being able to reproduce this issue...

Above contributions lead me to believe that VP14 has a flaw and that the project properties or render settings are not the reason for the issue, specially given the fact that the issue even manifests in the trimmer window...

I reported the issue, I feel this is something for MAGIX to look at, meanwhile I removed VP14 and continue using VP 13 which works wonderfully for me, also lacking the other VP14 flaw with VOB files ...

Yes,indeed VP14 has a bug/flaw and not related to gpu,project or render properties or even windows version.It`s showing right from trimmer.Right now for us the only viable solution is back to VP13,until Magix fix this bug/flaw.My opinion (for sure),again,it`s not about:windows version,gpu,project or render properties.

Kinvermark wrote on 11/8/2016, 2:47 PM

To be clear, I cannot reproduce this issue either... at least not in the way apvv suggests.   I can make my preview look EXACTLY like your problem file by setting the preview to DRAFT FULL, but that is not a bug,  that is as expected. This is the case with both Vegas 13 and Vegas 14 build 161.

The fact that the DRAFT FULL preview looks exactly the same as your rendered file is suspicious for sure... maybe in some rare cases the latest builds drop down to draft-full timeline processing on renders...but that is just a wild guess.

Happy wrote on 11/8/2016, 3:10 PM

Fair enough VP.14.161 seems ok and draft is only preview, but how would you explain the artifacts being visible in the Trimmer Window in VP 14.178 and not in VP13.453? To me it seems a software flaw not related to any project properties and/or render settings...

Kinvermark wrote on 11/8/2016, 4:01 PM

It does appear to be odd behaviour, I agree.  There is probably an easy workaround if you were desperate to use V14, but you don't seem to be, so the practical option is to continue on with V13 for now - as you suggested.

Has anyone had similar problems with PROGRESSIVE frame h264 formats?

Happy wrote on 11/8/2016, 5:24 PM

Message received from MAGIX:

Hello

Thank you for your message.

I recommend installing the latest update of Vega Pro 14.  This will require running the trial installer again to obtain the latest build of the app. 

[Moderator edit: Name of Magix staff removed in accordance with community rule #9]

This implies that it would solve the issues. Apparently build 189 is the latest version, but reading the comments on that page it also has its problems. I am sticking to VP13 and not take the trouble to do another install until I see more positive reactions...

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-14-update-2-build-189--104313/#ca645063