Finally time to build a new PC after soldiering on for more than 7 years with my old Q6600/XP x64 machine.
It's primarily for editing Panasonic GH4 4k footage in Vegas Pro 13, but I also want to have a play with DaVinci Resolve Lite 11, Reason 8, and have the possibility of working with Adobe PPro and After Effects.
It will be built by Compute and More in Bangkok who built my last 2 boxes in 2003 and 2007. We've come up with the following specs based on the new Haswell-E, X99 and DDR4 stuff:
Motherboard: Asus X99-Deluxe
CPU: Intel i7-5960X
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (or 2666/2800 if it reaches Bangkok this week) (Edit: I should have got 2133. Reasons below)
O/S & programs drive: Plextor M6e M.2 128GB SSD drive (Edit: I ended up getting a Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb. Reasons below.)
Media drive: 2 x Western Digital Red NAS 4TB drives in a RAID 0 (Edit: I used IRST (Intel's "fake" RAID))
Render drive: Existing 1TB or 2TB HDD (Edit: I ended up without a render drive as such)
Other data drive: Existing 1TB HDD (Edit: I used 2 x existing Samsung 1Tb HDDs in IRST RAID 0. May add 2 more to make RAID10)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full Tower with windowed sides (Edit: I ended up with the newer Corsair Graphite Series™ 780T White Full-Tower PC Case.)
CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro series H110 (Edit: This has rattly fans! It's a known problem. I swapped them for 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM)
Power supply: Corsair RM850 (Edit: I ended up with the RM1000).
GPU 1: Sapphire Radeon HD6970 (already bought on eBay) (Edit: This is in the primary slot with my monitors plugged into it.)
GPU 2: EVGA GTX 580 (already bought on eBay)
Drive bay: Thermaltake Max 5 Duo
Sound card: Don't know. M-Audio USB? (Edit: I ended up with the M-Audio M-track)
Monitors: Existing Dell 24", Asus 24" and Philips 17" (for now)
O/S: Windows 8.1 Pro
The whole GPU issue is a bit of a mess. I bought these GPUs off eBay because they seem to be the ones that are fastest with Vegas. But it seems neither of them support 4k, so in the short term I'll just monitor my 4k at 1080p on my existing monitor. Also both are behind the curve when it comes to optimum performance in DaVinci Resolve. I'll do various testing to see which is fastest (and most stable) in Vegas/Resolve and to see how they behave themselves when I run both together. I guess I may end up using only one of them and adding a 2nd, newer card that will support 4k for a new 28" 4k monitor.
I'd appreciate any comments on the choice of components, and I have the following specific questions:
1. Is 128GB likely to be enough for the O/S and typical programs going forward? Or should I get 256GB? I currently use only a 36GB C: drive! Quite a price difference between 128 and 256GB.
2. Is 32GB enough RAM? (later I might switch this for 64GB of faster RAM)
3. Do those GPUs need their own liquid cooling? (the builder said not)
4. Is RAID 0 necessary and the best flavour of RAID for my media drive?
5. Should I be looking at a 2nd RAID or an SSD for my render drive or is a standlone HDD OK?
6. Should I be looking at a small extra SSD cache drive as well?
7. Are those WD Red HDDs a good idea over the Green or Black ones? I don't suppose I need NAS but the builder is keen on them.
8. Any thoughts on best GPUs for use with Vegas Pro, Resolve, PPro/After Effects and 4k monitor? (maybe I should phrase this "Which 4k-supporting GPU is the least bad with Vegas?")