"Online connection could not be established" error when rendering

Isabel-Buus wrote on 4/6/2020, 1:18 PM

Using Vegas Pro 17 Edit on a fairly new high-end Dell laptop running Windows 10 Pro. Have created my first (short) video, and when I try to render it, I get an error message saying that "an online connection could not be established." I made sure to give Vegas Pro both public and private firewall access, but I still get the message. Not sure where to go from here. Help!!

Comments

j-v wrote on 4/6/2020, 1:47 PM

Which project properties, which sourcefile and what rendertemplate did you use to store at??

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
560.70 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.70 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

Isabel-Buus wrote on 4/7/2020, 12:15 PM

j-v, thanks for the speedy followup - I wasn't getting refreshed so I only saw this just now.

Project properties: width 1920, height 1080, HDR mode off, field order none, pixel aspect ratio 1:1, output rotation 0 degrees original, frame rate 29.970 (NTSC), stereoscopic 3-d mode off, pixel format 8-bit, compositing gamma 2.222 (video), ACES version 1.1, ACES colorspace default, view transform off, look modification transformation none, full resolution rendering quality best, motion blur type gaussian, deinterlace method blend fields, re-sample mode disable re-sample, adjust source media to better match project settings on.

Sourcefile: a succession of .png still photos (trying to animate), together with an .mp3 audio file

Rendertemplate: internet HD 1080p 29.97 fps

j-v wrote on 4/7/2020, 1:27 PM

I think one or more codecs have to be allowed. The first time this is needed the program tries to connect to Magix. Probably that is with you not possible one way or another. Mostly Windows Defender, browsersettings or firewall are due to it, something you have to clear yourself in the settings for those programs.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.70 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

Isabel-Buus wrote on 4/7/2020, 3:08 PM

Thanks j-v. I'll keep trying to open things up with browser settings and/or Windows Defender. I've already tried most of the recommendations I've seen in other posts, no luck yet. Do you know if there are certain ports that have to be opened in order to connect to Magix? I haven't opened any ports yet....

j-v wrote on 4/7/2020, 4:07 PM

Most this problem occurs when in your Windows account or your browser settings it is for software not allowed to make contact with the outside. For Vegas software you have to make an exception in those settings

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Crowyote wrote on 9/4/2020, 9:39 PM

I've had Vegas Pro 17 activated for about 4 months now, and did upgrade to the new version in June (542 I believe) and reactivated at that time. I haven't used Vegas Pro for about 1-2 months to export any videos as I've had other pressing projects to work on.

I just installed a new SSD hard drive (cloned my old hard drive) last week and upgraded my computer to 16gb this summer, but those changes shouldn't effect the way software works right?

This morning (6am) I finished up a small video mp4 (less than 1 min) to market my music for Bandcamp Friday and went to render it and got the prompt "Online Connection Cannot Be Established." I tried to get on my computer disable firewalls and follow the protocol I used before in command prompt to turn off firewalls. It seems like activation works if I'm able to get on my computer by 4pm CST (limitation on server due to COVID???) which I wasn't able to do today. I really need to export this video today.

Is there some possibility VP is trying to render my project over the internet? Why would software be crippled in this way? VP is profoundly creative but incredibly frustrating, I can see why so many people switch to Adobe.

Also "Real-Time Render" is only allowing me to make a wav file . . .???? This project does include wav files, but I'm looking for an mp4.

fr0sty wrote on 9/4/2020, 9:46 PM

Real time render is only meant for wav files, use regular rendering for mp4's etc. As for this error, have you tried rebooting? Last time I had this issue, that fixed it.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Crowyote wrote on 9/5/2020, 5:02 AM

Real time render is only meant for wav files, use regular rendering for mp4's etc. As for this error, have you tried rebooting? Last time I had this issue, that fixed it.

Yup. I spent the entire afternoon and evening turning my computer on and off. Reinstalling and uninstalling network adapters, disabling firewalls, enabling and disabling GPU rendering searching for anyways of enabling ports etc.

I suspect it's that pesky need for Magix to ping my computer during the hours that the server is operating. Anytime this has happened if I get on my computer between noon and 3pm CST on a weekday I can get the activation thing to clear (This happened at initial download and install of the update later). I had initialized the last update of VP17, which allowed me to use the software; but I can't recall if I actually finished a project using a codec so those new profiles didn't get fully initialized maybe?

How do you guys set VP for online rendering? I want to make sure that setting is disabled.

I do seem to have a continuous problem with my computer connecting with the proxy server, wondering if I need to replace my wi-fi card or AT&T router.

michael-harrison wrote on 9/5/2020, 7:21 AM

"I just installed a new SSD hard drive (cloned my old hard drive) last week and upgraded my computer to 16gb this summer, but those changes shouldn't effect the way software works right?"

It actually can but I would expect VP to complain at startup, not at render time. If you change enough hardware, VP will decide you're on a different computer and require that you re-license your machine.

Oddly enough, it's not consistent behavior. The first time I cloned my drives to a pair of SSDs I had to re-license VP.

For reasons that aren't important, I had to temporarily go back to platters and no re-licensing was required.

When I again went back to cloned SSDs, I still didn't have to re-license.

System 1:

Windows 10
i9-10850K 10 Core
128.0G RAM
Nvidia RTX 3060 Studio driver [most likely latest]
Resolution        3840 x 2160 x 60 hertz
Video Memory 12G GDDR5

System 2:

Lenovo Yoga 720
Core i7-7700 2.8Ghz quad core, 8 logical
16G ram
Intel HD 630 gpu 1G vram
Nvidia GTX 1050 gpu 2G vram

Crowyote wrote on 9/5/2020, 6:32 PM

"I just installed a new SSD hard drive (cloned my old hard drive) last week and upgraded my computer to 16gb this summer, but those changes shouldn't effect the way software works right?"

It actually can but I would expect VP to complain at startup, not at render time. If you change enough hardware, VP will decide you're on a different computer and require that you re-license your machine.

Oddly enough, it's not consistent behavior. The first time I cloned my drives to a pair of SSDs I had to re-license VP.

For reasons that aren't important, I had to temporarily go back to platters and no re-licensing was required.

Most this problem occurs when in your Windows account or your browser settings it is for software not allowed to make contact with the outside. For Vegas software you have to make an exception in those settings

Guys, I found this video that fixes the problem for Sony Vegas Pro 11. But the menus have been changed (of course)! Where can the user set the encoding to be processed by CPU only?

Crowyote wrote on 9/8/2020, 3:24 AM

To answer my own question . . .this video does not seem to hold my answer. The video shows rendering with the Sony AVC mp4 rendering format. I attempted to use this format with CPU only, but still got the same results "online connection . . . " Are there any hidden options in the Administrative Preferences (Holding shift and clicking on preferences) menu that might be causing this to occur?

I'm contacting support, and also gonna try and see if I can connect to the server in the next couple of days during peak hours.

PS . . . I was able to make a .wmv window media video just now, and have already made tons of image sequences for album art/titling. I can't make anything in the mp4 format tho.

PPS . . . I just noticed a thread mentioning this point I never noticed before (and didn't have problems with before either) Points 10 & 11. https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-faqs-and-troubleshooting-guides--104787/

Since I'm topping off with 17 for a long time I won't have to remember this, but it would be nice to get a reminder or something that first time one uses VP after upgrade! One of the connected threads indicates that codecs DON'T have to be reactivated if one is upgrading within the same version of VP i.e VP17 421 to 542 or whatev. Apparently not true.

I did try to deactivate as well, but received error code 65. THis is weird because all the options in the help menu will open the internet.

Crowyote wrote on 9/9/2020, 8:11 PM

Apparently, the problem is NOT the hard drive, but that my device was registered with only 8gb of RAM when I checked my device activations. My computerid is the same, but there must be some difference when they register the device or codec licenses/activations based on RAM (?!).

I'm also having general internet connection problems since my latest RAM upgrade, and suspect it may be a windows configuration thing.
So I'm going through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling VP. I do wish VP would make an uninstaller.exe, since it's apparently such an involved process according to FAQs. Sheesh.

fr0sty wrote on 9/9/2020, 9:30 PM

You should be able to remove it in add/remove programs.

Crowyote wrote on 9/10/2020, 2:16 AM

You should be able to remove it in add/remove programs.

I did it. But . . . it turns out I may NOT have ever had to do that! The problem was that I had a misconfigured proxy server. I have been off and on getting that error in google chrome, and numerous times tried to turn off the proxy server in Windows Internet settings, but internet still has worked but has been creeping along.

The solution it turns out is that the only way to remove a misconfigured proxy server is to go into Internet Explorer, which I NEVER use, Run as Administrator, click the "gear" icon, click on Internet Options, click on Connections, click on LAN settings, and uncheck the proxy server box and Save. Why Windows has had to make this whole thing so incredibly difficult I don't know, but that fixed alot of problems for me.

I've been blaming Magix for a problem I didn't know Windows was causing. I was just able to initialize and run my mp4 codecs in the middle of the night when I'm usually creative and not at 3pm in the afternoon. I never should have had this problem, and it's caused me undue stress over days and weeks. Anyway for anyone else, please make sure you remove your proxy server using administrative settings when trying to activate or at least make sure it's properly configured (That I CAN'T help anyone with).