Comments

PixelStuff wrote on 10/1/2014, 7:36 AM
Arthur.S, With the Windows 8.1 update 1 you should have an X on all windows. However prior to that you could also close any full screen "Metro" app by grabbing the upper middle of the screen with the cursor (that changes to a hand) and drag it all the way down to the bottom of the screen.
PixelStuff wrote on 10/1/2014, 7:41 AM
Chienworks, If we are talking about kernal versions, which Microsoft doesn't seem to care about when picking the branding version, then we are still on v6. It will be interesting to see if the Windows 10 kernel is v6.4 or v7.0, but regardless, NT4 and 2000 were definitely separate "user experience" versions with more drastic changes than a .1 update.

Also, just to be clear, my first post in this thread was mostly in jest. I think the real reason Microsoft skipped a version is to over emphasis their intention for this being a major overhaul of the Windows family across different form factors, not just refinement of the next desktop release.
wwjd wrote on 10/1/2014, 8:11 AM
anyone find Win 10 yet? All I find is a BLOG IN PROGRESS type page....
riredale wrote on 10/1/2014, 10:13 AM
I think the "opposition to change" is a valid point. We all naturally prefer, once having learned how to do a task, that we not be forced to re-learn a different way to do the same task. It's as if GM decided to be different by putting the accelerator on the left by pointing out studies that show a quicker reaction time if the right foot was dedicated to just braking. Or buying a coffee cup that required the use of the lower two fingers rather than the top two. What's the point, other than just being different? Anyway, I guess MS has gotten the message loud and clear and is reverting back to a certain extent.
wwjd wrote on 10/1/2014, 11:08 AM
I love, enjoy, and actively SEEK change. But it has to be for the better. Making a point/click large screen desktop OS function like a 5 inch touch screened cell phone was not for the better. I've run a "start button" on Win 8 since the beginning and it is just as good as 7 and better.

Forcing METRO (although cool in its own way) was a misstep and they know it. And are fixing it.
Downloading the WIN 10 beta now for fun and games!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
DrLumen wrote on 10/1/2014, 12:08 PM
I guess I too am stubborn as I don't like the UI changes that Windows is going through. It's not so much of an issue of learning something new but more to the point of them trying to fix something that is not broken. Then, messing it up in the process.

Regardless of how much I use the Office versions with the ribbon, I still hate them. Worst! Idea! Ever!

Windows and ribbons and tiles. Oh my! Sounds more like interior decorating than GUI improvements.

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

Kit wrote on 10/1/2014, 6:31 PM
There's change and then there is change. Messing around with the design is one thing, but foisting Microsoft accounts and sucking up user data to create revenue streams is another. I won't be bothering with Windows 10 unless Microsoft step away from the idea of treating customers as as product. I guess there will be little chance of that.
john_dennis wrote on 10/1/2014, 7:01 PM
I've installed it on a Xeon machine and will be trying it out until February 15. My initial (30 minutes) reaction to the interface is favorable. Going home to the comfort of Windows 7 Professional.
ushere wrote on 10/1/2014, 7:07 PM
john, like many hereabouts, will be most interested in reading your thoughts about 10.
PeterDuke wrote on 10/1/2014, 7:17 PM
"press Alt+F4 to close a window"

Or pull the plug out of the wall. At least that is easier to remember.
OldSmoke wrote on 10/1/2014, 7:53 PM
Or pull the plug out of the wall. At least that is easier to remember.

I am not sure what you mean by that; ALT+F4 has been around as long as Windows, literarily.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

PeterDuke wrote on 10/1/2014, 8:13 PM
I have been using computers since 1966 but I did not know that, nor have I needed it (along with books full of other stuff on computers).
VMP wrote on 10/2/2014, 12:24 AM
'Rumor calls out Windows 95 as the reason Microsoft skipped version 9'
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/windows-10-9-naming-rumor/?ncid=rss_truncated

'Windows 10 May Have Gotten Its Name Because of Lazy Coders'
http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-may-have-gotten-its-name-because-of-lazy-cod-1641383218

VMP
John_Cline wrote on 10/2/2014, 12:48 AM
The first step toward solving a problem is admitting that you have one. After two years of disappointing Windows 8 adoption and plenty of negative feedback about its Modern UI, Microsoft has finally acknowledged its mistakes and submitted to a higher power: its users. The company is making amends with Windows 10, which brings back the Start menu and puts the desktop front and center again. Though critics might see the new OS as nothing more than a return to normalcy, Windows 10 shows that Microsoft is serious about delivering on the promise of a universal operating system that runs equally well on all devices.

I run Win8.1 exclusively in the desktop mode using the StarDock Start8 start button replacement and is generally a better experience than Win7.
VMP wrote on 10/2/2014, 1:13 AM
John,

I am curious, how is it a better experience than Win 7?
I am still looking into buying a portable device like a tablet with Windows 8, I haven't tested out Windows 8 yet.

What are the advantages of using Windows 8 instead of 7 on a PC workstation?

VMP
VMP wrote on 10/2/2014, 1:59 AM
Video CNET Update: Windows 10 aims to blend best of 7 and 8
http://www.cnet.com/videos/windows-10-aims-to-blend-best-of-7-and-8/

VMP
Peter Riding wrote on 10/2/2014, 2:51 AM
I haven't met a person who DIDN'T like Win 8 after they were forced to use it for a week or so

I've been using Windows 8 Pro on three machines since January 2013 without any issues. And it really matters as I make my living from photography and video.

One desktop went XP > Vista > 7 > 8

A 2nd desktop went Vista > 7 > 8

A laptop went Vista > 7 > 8

Yes is was frustrating on first sight but after just a few minutes quality time spent with simple whats new tutorials and it was as if I'd never used anything else :- ) Easy. really easy.

Yes there were a number of features I missed from 7 such as the start menu in the bottom left and icons for restarting or shutting down, but there were simple utilities you could install for these right from the start.

On the other hand I never could get on with the Apple way of doing things plus their closed systems. But thats not really relevant to Vegas ..... unless you'd just like to copy an MP4 video you've made in Vegas to your Ipad or Ipod and not have to jump through all the silly hoops :- )

Pete
Arthur.S wrote on 10/2/2014, 10:48 AM
Cheers for the tips Altvaric and Pixelstuff. I definitely don't get an X if opening say the calender or mail - and I'm definitely on 8.1. Grabbing the upper middle of the screen or Alt+F4 both work though! :-)
John222 wrote on 10/2/2014, 11:28 AM
I'm using Widows 8.1. No complaints..
VMP wrote on 10/2/2014, 11:38 AM
What are you using those 'Widows' for John? 8 of them seems a lot :-D.

VMP
riredale wrote on 10/2/2014, 6:01 PM
That's why he says he has no complaints.
ushere wrote on 10/2/2014, 6:34 PM
btw - lot of noise over at adobe re ps not working on 10...
cbrillow wrote on 10/2/2014, 8:41 PM
My current crop of active/semi-active machines:

1) a Dell Latitude laptop, an ACER netbook and a homebrew desktop, all running XP. (XP Pro on the desktop)

2) a 5-year old desktop with two boot disks -- XP Pro on one, Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center on the other

3) a 3-year old desktop with Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

4) two homebrew desktops built this year, both with Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit

5) a 3-year old desktop with Windows 8.1. Pro Media Center

I experienced Windows 8 long before Windows 7, due to acquiring the Windows 7 machine from my sister. I immediately hated everything about the Metro/modern UI on Windows 8, but took to desktop mode basically like a duck to water. Although there was a bit of a learning curve, due to things being changed or hidden from easy access, it took no time for me to appreciate the speed and stability of Windows 8, as well as the improved security over XP.

Windows 7 is fine. A little different from XP, a little different from 8. I've enjoyed playing with them all.

XP is XP. Remarkable in its day, but riddled with security issues and an impediment to modern hardware and software development/evolution. A former great, IMO, and still beloved by millions.

I still have a copy of Windows 8 that will be dedicated to my new video machine, when I get around to building it. My video projects are few and far between these days, so there's no imperative to replace the current one.

And I'll probably download the Windows 10 preview and dual boot it with one of the above Windows 8 machines.
john_dennis wrote on 10/2/2014, 11:27 PM
"[I]john, like many hereabouts, will be most interested in reading your thoughts about 10.[/I]"

Since I'm running this on an old 8 core, 16 thread server, I installed an equally old 7600 GS video card just so I could get the full resolution of the attached display. Windows 10 found the hardware driver and offered it to me with a simple Windows Update.

After backing up the image to a removable USB hard drive, I got the follow message when removing the USB drive.

Apparently, the developers are curious about the look and feel of these messages because I was asked to rate the message. I gave it a low score because I was taken back to see a successful outcome being delivered on a red background. I prefer green or the Windows color scheme. Also, since my attention was at the taskbar when I asked to disconnect the disk, I didn't expect to see the response at the top of the screen.

I might get Vegas Pro 13 on it tomorrow.