Sony Vegas Pro Survey

Comments

akwaaba wrote on 2/17/2012, 9:45 PM
Here in Thailand I downloaded the survey twice but was unable to fill it in, even with a fast down load here....well fast for Thailand.

thanks
Chris
Hulk wrote on 2/17/2012, 10:01 PM
@PeterDuke,

My first suggestion was AVCHD Smartrender.
Second was increased stability.

- Mark
NickHope wrote on 2/17/2012, 11:10 PM
No problem here in Bangkok on a True connection Chris.

My four enhancement requests:

- STABILITY! before any new feature

I don't need AVCHD smart rendering yet but it's coming.

This was my description of how I use other editing software:

I use HDVSplit because Vegas won't correctly capture scene-split HDV.
farss wrote on 2/18/2012, 2:53 AM
1) BWF Export.
2) Handling of active metadata.
3) ASIO 2.0
4) Support for S Log.

Bob.

Grazie wrote on 2/18/2012, 3:10 AM
In respect of moving to 64bit, and name one feature? I can access all my RAM. That's gotta be a good thing. No? I'm regularly doing RAM Builds of 1>2gb and it is terrific! - I can "see" my ideas as I have them.

I came from Millennium to XP and at a point where I was going to ditch all this NLE malarkey. Then with XP Pro and a beefier PC I suddenly witnessed just how fast and efficient the Vegas platform was.

I too want improved V521 stability. Will I fill out the Survey? I'm reading what John and you guys have written and I'm pondering . . . . .

I DO have to ask, which part of the Marketing<>Development team thought it was necessary to produce a survey? How much would this have cost? And who will be privy to the results? Also, what is the motivation behind this?

Getting simple: "Motherhood and Apple Pie" is a good thing - but hey, expected. In the face of expectation, what forces have been unleashed at SCS HQ that have seen fit to spread this "fishnet", and trawl, and pull out feedback? Have we stumbled on a Seismic reality shift? Have we? Now the answers to those Qs I find fascinating.

Now, John's point about improving the fundamental "thread" and "rendering" at timeline would be great. If this were to be linked to the "other" wishes, that would be valuable. So, why not both? Bleedin' Edge PLUS Home-Cooking?

And back to John(M), I'd love to hear he'd become a BETA tester for SCS. Now that WOULD be playing to our strengths.

Cheers

G

Rosebud wrote on 2/18/2012, 3:30 AM
-stability
-track lock buton
-bezier curves for track motion and pan/crop path
-more conventional playhead management (it's too easy to loose time selection)
amendegw wrote on 2/18/2012, 4:00 AM
Media Manager improvements - another one I wish I'd thought about before I filled out my survey.

Hopefully SCS (ForumAdmin?) reads this thread and supplements these suggestions to their survey.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

WillemT wrote on 2/18/2012, 4:07 AM
Jerry - my exact thoughts. Media Manager completely slipped my mind.

Willem.
Grazie wrote on 2/18/2012, 4:33 AM
LOL! TLF!!

So : "Be careful what you ask for . . . " is left "hanging". Isn't the conclusion of the saying/line: " . . . 'cos you might just get it!"?

Well, we haven't got it yet, so why the implied threat of doom?

Oh yeah, and here's another one I lke:" If you don't ask . . . . . "

So, "We asked" and we haven't gotten it.

Also implied, within the "Be careful . . .", is a suggesting that we have ourselves to blame, if we get all demanding.

All that's being asked for is that "better" needs to be for all.

Cheers

G

Jay Gladwell wrote on 2/18/2012, 5:50 AM

Bob (Farss) and I both have said in past posts, in order to truly "fix" Vegas, it needs to be,will have to be, redesigned and rebuilt from the ground up.

PeterDuke wrote on 2/18/2012, 6:03 AM
And cut out non-core features like they did in FCP -X.
craftech wrote on 2/18/2012, 6:23 AM
Here is what I put:

1. Update the Vegas 2.0 Credit Roll generator that you are still using. It's always been amateurish.

2. Go back to non-CUDA dependence to improve stability and compatibility of future releases. There is no real benefit that is worth all the the issues CUDA dependence has introduced.

3. Fix the Blu-ray authoring issues in DVDA regarding inoperative "Next" and "Previous" buttons when more than a single menu page are used. (See forums)

4. Improve deinterlace and HD to SD quality so we don't have to turn to Avisynth scripts and other software to get satisfactory results. (See the long threads on the issue in the forums).

John
Rob Franks wrote on 2/18/2012, 6:37 AM
DTS support for Blu Ray.
JJKizak wrote on 2/18/2012, 6:39 AM
The CUDA thing, when you shut it off is it really totally off in the software? If it is then you don't have to eliminate CUDA.
JJK
Barry W. Hull wrote on 2/18/2012, 7:40 AM
Made a comment of what not to do... do not raise the price,

because there is power in numbers.

Barry Hull
pwppch wrote on 2/18/2012, 7:45 AM
@farss(Bob)

Vegas supports ASIO 2. What are you asking for?

Peter
Rob Franks wrote on 2/18/2012, 8:13 AM
"@farss(Bob)

Yes... I use asio 2.... have for a number of years now.
amendegw wrote on 2/18/2012, 8:39 AM
Cheers for SonyPCH monitoring this thread!!!

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Hulk wrote on 2/18/2012, 12:13 PM
@TLF,

I'm a "Be careful what you ask for guy."
I asked for one new feature, AVCHD Smartrender. Smartrender is already there for MPEG-2 so I'm really just asking for an extension of an already present function.

It has been my experience with video software that working with proprietary file types, text generators, and closed captioning has been a major source of crashes in the past.

Yes, we should be able to have all kinds of features and 100% stability. But this is the real world and this isn't a $10,000 piece of software.

My other suggestions were increased stability, better multiprocessor loading during timeline preview, and better error reporting. So yes, I pretty much didn't ask for any new features but refining the ones already in there.

- Mark
farss wrote on 2/18/2012, 1:17 PM
"Vegas supports ASIO 2."

Peter,
Thanks for that. I was under the impression there were issues / limitations with it.

Bob.
tim-evans wrote on 2/18/2012, 3:39 PM
If SCS provide a feature in Vegas it is not our responsibility to worry that it might not work. It should be an assumption that it will work and not crash the program or giving esoteric error messages.

The cost of the program is independent of the fact that it should be stable.

The amount of time I waste trying to figure out why I didn't get the expected result or restarting the application and realizing that it has not saved the last dozen or so changes that I have made to my project (and then figureing out what they were) easily surpasses many of the time saving features that SCS have added lately.

Yesterday I was rendering a project to Sony MP4 and upped the audio to 384KBS. Error message about the codec. If I can select it then it SHOULD WORK!

More time wasted before I realize that for some God knows what reason the app or my computer doesn't like that bit rate. I spend a lot of time scouring this site and others to figure out why Vegas just doesn't do the things I have asked it to.

If Vegas doesn't like working with Canon DSLR MOV files then it should tell me or not let me work with them before wasting hours for the feature to half work.

In the survey I asked for the stability, inconsistencies and bugs to be resolved before all else. That would be the biggest time saver for me.
pwppch wrote on 2/18/2012, 9:53 PM
@farss

We recently fixed a limitation on the number of inputs and outputs that could be handled. We honestly had never found a device that could exceed what we supported. A user had a problem with a specific system that exposed a real problem. We contacted the vendor, obtained hardware and fix the problem. It affected one user as I recall.

Perhaps this is what you recall, as there was a number of posts related to this issue.

Peter
PeterDuke wrote on 2/18/2012, 10:50 PM
The survey seemed to be directed at video editing features only, so I did not comment on bugs ("unintended features") or DVDA in particular and authoring in general.

I too am concerned about the incompatibilty between DVDA burnt Blu-ray discs and Panasonic (and perhaps other, but apparently not Sony) Blu-ray players so far as the skip (next/previous) button is concerned. (Does not work once you access the scene menu.)

Another problem is that you can't return from playing to the most recent menu, but this may be a more general problem.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 2/18/2012, 11:33 PM
I was surprised (and relieved) that it did acknowledge Audio uses.

One thing I forgot to request in the survey was for Chapter Markers (maybe = CD Tracks with 'N') in a simple linear DVD direct burn to disc.

geoff