Sony x70 update appreciated

PeterWright wrote on 4/1/2015, 7:47 AM
I've been interested in this camera for a while, and am now in a position to purchase, and would appreciate hearing the benefit of anyone's experiences with the camera.

Has performance met expectations?
Has "4k ready" become 4k capable yet?

To share what a backwater Perth, W.A. can be - I wrote to the only supplier in Perth that Sony told me existed, TWO MONTHS ago. They said they had a model arriving in a few days, so I said I was interested, please let me know when you have one I might purchase ............ haven't heard from them since. Call me old fashioned, but it used to be hard enough to find customers for oneself, and when one declared themselves, they were worth looking after!

Comments

mountainman wrote on 4/1/2015, 1:06 PM
Check out dvinfo.net They have an x70 forum there. j
PeterWright wrote on 4/2/2015, 2:06 AM
Thanks - just had a good read at DVinfo.net.

A few issues, mostly encouraging, but wise to wait till NAB before making any decision .......
videoITguy wrote on 4/2/2015, 8:51 AM
Exactly, the competition is heating up this fall!
PeterWright wrote on 4/2/2015, 9:45 AM
Yes this raises an interesting issue for me videoITguy.

I've become very Sony based for a few years, but I have no actual reason to ignore the competition.
JackW wrote on 4/2/2015, 12:52 PM
We purchased an X70 several months ago and have used it heavily for legal depositions and documentation of construction work sites. In both types of work it has proven quite good. It has held up well in low light situations with a 6db boost to the gain; anything above that and the blacks begin to show some noise, however. Frankly I'm sorry we didn't buy two more of these rather than the NX5Us that we got. The X70 is lighter, better balanced and easier to handle in the field.

Nothing to share on the 4K front, however.

Jack
videoITguy wrote on 4/2/2015, 5:16 PM
Several interesting points that JackW - raises in his post. The x70 is a suitable economic solution to just HD and especially if you the type that are willing to force low-light. Considered outside the 4k offerings, and leaving that particular feature aside is a valid buying consideration.
videoITguy wrote on 4/26/2015, 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: New Build 444
Reply by: bhc
Date: 4/25/2015 6:55:23 PM

For those unable to import XAVC-L footage into build 444, I suggest you try updating to the latest camera firmware. I have a PXW-X180 and footage shot with the latest 2.0 firmware does important successfully, but footage shot on earlier 1.0 and 1.1 firmware does not.

I have contacted SCS about the issues importing some footage and they are investigating.

Reply ;
Subject: RE: New Build 444
Reply by: videoITguy
Date: 4/26/2015 8:00:56 AM

to bhc: Yes the Long Gop Fix reported to improve with x180 camera now in new firmware - HOWEVER for x70 camera owners - there is still no joy.
PeteM wrote on 4/28/2015, 9:53 PM
I do field news & documentary jobs and have had been using an HXR-NX70 as my main workhorse for the last 3 years. A few weeks ago I added the PXR-X70 to my stable and I have to say I'm really impressed with it. I like that it is a little heavier than the NX70 and the lens is worlds apart from the NX.

Mine is up to the latest firmware but will still not decode XAVC-L footage in Vegas Pro 13 build444, so I'm limited to shooting in AVCHD for now. I was betting this against Panasonic's new 4K X-1000, but in the end I went for this because in some run-n-gun situations I can't use lighting and the low light ability of the X70 is superior.
jwcarney wrote on 4/29/2015, 8:56 AM
With the latest build, you STILL can't use X70 Long GOP video (XAVC) in Vegas? Wow. Glad I didn't purchase yet. I was very interested in this camera for travel oriented videos (small, unassuming). If I have to switch over to Premier permanently, I'll also wait for the new Canon coming out in June.
PeteM wrote on 4/29/2015, 4:19 PM
jwcarney, if you're not locked into a particular brand or infrastructure, then I would agree with you 100%, definitely go and see what other offerings are out there.

Personally I have stuck with all Sony small footprint cams because of the nature of my job as a freelance news & doco guy, my NEX-NX70, PXR-X70 & NEX-VG10 all use the same batteries, accessories & media which minimises what I need to carry. It's an expensive process to have different media, batteries & chargers and I should know because over the last two decades I've invested with Panasonic, Canon, Sony & JVC systems but finally settled down with Sony's smaller pro hand-held cameras.

One thing I can tell you, is you'll always find niggling problems with every camera manufacturer & model, it's an exercise in compromise at best and you just have to settle with the company that causes the least headaches for you.
jwcarney wrote on 4/30/2015, 1:05 PM
PeteM, I just want to be able to edit XAVC L from the X70 in Vegas. A powerful laptop, the X70 , Sony Vegas and Soundforge is a great lightweight combo if it actually worked. I purchased a loaded Dell M4800 for field work. They have till June before I make a final decision. Also looking to get a Sony Mirror less cam for the kit since they are so small.
Marc S wrote on 4/30/2015, 9:21 PM
I despise Adobe's new rental only model but their software sure does work awesome with X70 files.
jwcarney wrote on 5/1/2015, 10:29 AM
If you're running a multi faceted media business, the affordable subscription model is a boon for people like me.
Marc S wrote on 5/1/2015, 11:22 AM
I understand it works well for some people. I just wish they would offer both or some type of off ramp. I've changed editing software multiple times and do not like being forced into using a particular software forever if I want to open past projects.

For example if I switch from Vegas today I'll always be able to open past projects as long as I keep a computer system running for it.

videoITguy wrote on 5/1/2015, 12:43 PM
Marc_S makes an excellent point for the drawback of the current cloud offering. Interestlngly, the fact he proposes is just exactly what could keep VegasPro out on the street for years to come. In fact we know this Vegas is working well in the regions outside of the US in certain circles.
Marc S wrote on 5/15/2015, 2:27 PM
Latest from Sony tech on the X70 issues:

Guy D.: The issue with opening files from the x70 is known to our developers, and we plan to address it in a future update. The firmware problem with the camera that causes the files to be recorded improperly should also be addressed in a future update.
Marc S: We've been hearing this for a long time now. I'm currently having to use Adobe CC Media Encoder to convert my files because Catalyst crashes all the time and browse screws up the black levels. So this could last for another 6 months potentially???
Guy D.: I can't provide exact release dates for future updates because I do not have that information.
ForumAdmin wrote on 5/15/2015, 2:38 PM
We're actively working on this issue with the Sony Japan camera group. We have a root cause identified and are taking a number of steps to fix it, both for new files and for existing ones already shot.

We realize it is having an impact on some of your workflows and regret the inconvenience the problem has caused.
videoITguy wrote on 5/15/2015, 3:25 PM
The remark about Sony Japan Camera group must be taken in the context in which that has been mentioned before with a number of issues in the application of Sony codecs.

It has been mentioned in this forum among others and the observation continues that XAVC-L has successfully been absorbed into NLE's like Adobe and Edius as well as most successfully by independent third-party transcoder software.

It would appear that Vegas is the stop point.
ForumAdmin wrote on 5/15/2015, 3:41 PM
Every software is different, there's more complexity to it than just the codec involved unfortunately.
Other XAVC-Long GOP files from other cameras work fine with Vegas Pro 13 Build 444 and even the X70 files with the 1.02 firmware work in Catalyst Browse.

KB article on current workaround

The updated X70 firmware that is coming -
New PXW-X70 Firmware V2.0 details

We're hard at work adding code in Vegas Pro 13 so that existing X70 files shot with firmware prior to 2.0 will also work.
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 5/16/2015, 7:48 PM
Man, the nay sayers in this forum is unbelievably brutal with no limit.
Yes Vegas has its flaws like any other NLE, but man, you guys don't let up!
jwcarney wrote on 5/18/2015, 7:00 PM
Using the work around sounds like a good short term answer. I would rather edit in Intra than L if given a choice. Not liking the 60mb limit for 4K on the X70, but hopefully that won't be a long term problem. Since Canon dropped the ball on the XC10, looking back at getting the X70 (What the hell were they thinking?).

For the travel videos I want to do....
Dell M4800 with 32gig ram, K2100 graphics with 2gig video. Built like a tank.
Vegas Pro (with Catalyst to convert to XAVC I) I can live with that.
Probably X70. I've seen some great footage out of this pint sized camera. Worried at how long Sony will take to get 4K video beyond 60mb, but if I can make money at 1080p, then I can wait.
Marc S wrote on 5/19/2015, 1:29 AM
Not sure if they've fixed it yet with the latest version but Browse has a levels bug when batch exporting. This means all of your clips black levels jump by about 10%.
jwcarney wrote on 5/19/2015, 9:57 AM
Marc, even the paid for version?