The best rendering PC...what would you have?

CoachShane wrote on 1/9/2016, 11:01 PM
Happy 2016 to all!

I render a LOT of video and I have my settings so that I get 720 in just over real time in WMV. **I usually render with Sony's AVCHD 1920x1080-60i setting--. Most of my videos are between 30 and 45 minutes--I do up to 3 videos every day.

But if you could build a "beast" for under $2000, what would you get? And if you could invest a bit more after $2000, where would you put your money?

I'm asking NOT as a challenge, but as someone who really knows the minimum...but I do know that I'm ready to upgrade and I really hope to increase my rendering speed.

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 1/10/2016, 12:00 AM
If you make money with your video work start here.

If you are doing it for fun and have to balance the video legacy that you leave your children with their college plans, buy an Core i7-6700K .
CoachShane wrote on 1/10/2016, 12:57 AM
Thank you!! I'm clicking^^
NickHope wrote on 1/10/2016, 2:03 AM
...but note that that thread is a little old now.

Most significant things I would look to change now from those specs:

1. GPU - Forget old HD6970 etc. and go for new AMD R9 290X, 380X, 390X, FuryX (or all variants of those without the "X").

2. "Other data drive" - Get an SSD instead of my RAID 0 HDDs (which are a rather dangerous configuration to run in terms of risk of data loss, and slower than SSD).

3. RAM - Make sure you get the right speed RAM for your mobo. I should have got 2133MHz instead of 2400, and it causes me problems with the ASUS overclocking software.

4. An M.2 O/S drive is probably a wiser decision now than a regular SSD, but check that your drive imaging software supports it (an issue raised by John on that thread). I could never get a definitive answer from Acronis about whether TrueImage does, but presumably by now the answer is out there on the web.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 1/10/2016, 8:42 AM
I would look at the VideoGuys DIY builds. Here is a link to DIY 11. Look at their previous builds as well. They usually make recommendations at different price points. If this is for Vegas Pro I would use an AMD graphics card instead of NVIDIA but other than that, the builds they recommend are pretty solid.

It's important to note when building a PC that you can't just use the specifications as a guide. You really should select your processor first. Then buy a motherboard that supports that processor and only buy memory that has been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer to work. I've been burned by this before. I bought memory that met the required specs but was very flaky when used with the motherboard. I learned the hard way to only buy memory that is on the motherboard manufacturer's approved list if you want a solid system.

~jr
Former user wrote on 1/10/2016, 11:57 AM
I've bought a couple of PC's from iBuyPower and have had great results with them. They are completely configurable to accommodate almost any work environment. Of my two systems: one is configured for 3D work with a high-end graphics card (for Lightwave) and the other more of a general purpose (decent specs though) PC that I use for Vegas 12 / Graphics post-processing / website development.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 1/10/2016, 7:16 PM
> "I've bought a couple of PC's from iBuyPower "

The big advantage to buying from a boutique shop like iBuyPower that you won't get with Dell, HP, or Lenovo, is that iBuyPower uses completely off-the-shelf parts just like the ones you could buy so they are extremely upgradable. They use standard cases, motherboards, power supplies, etc. whereas Dell, HP, & Lenovo use proprietary cases with proprietary connectors so that you have to buy motherboard, PSU's etc. from them.

~jr
Barry W. Hull wrote on 1/12/2016, 10:40 AM
This thread makes me want to get a new computer.
OldSmoke wrote on 1/12/2016, 11:05 AM
3. RAM - Make sure you get the right speed RAM for your mobo. I should have got 2133MHz instead of 2400, and it causes me problems with the ASUS overclocking software.

I always use higher spec RAM but I run it at the lower speed. Have you tried to run it at the 5960X recommended max. speed of 2133? I use GSkill RAM and I asked for the correct settings/timings via email and it works beautifully. You can actually get better timmings with a higher spec RAM module.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

NickHope wrote on 1/12/2016, 10:52 PM
OldSmoke, when I run the Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5 overclocking software, one of the things I have to do is to keep changing the DRAM frequency to 2400MHz as it goes through each boot-up cycle. I have a feeling I also have general start-up problems if I don't keep it set to 2400MHz, but I'll check next time I'm in there and try to define exactly what problems it's causing.

Of course, apart from that type of hassle, the fact I have a stable system with slightly faster RAM than 2133MHz would appear to be a bonus.
DiDequ wrote on 1/16/2016, 11:40 AM
Today, I would certainly not use any SSD : they are slow compared to PCIE "discs"
Search for Ocz Storage Solutions - RevoDrives for example - there are many other brands on the market.
They are more expensive than ssd's, but 3 to 5 times faster.
If you can afford, it's the fastest storage solution.
My french web links are unuseful for you.
The best : could you ask for a demo with your retailer ! just to understand how fast it is !
john_dennis wrote on 1/16/2016, 1:06 PM
A quote from the first hit in a search for "PCIE disks":

"Because there is no standard set of disk controls implemented in PCIe, standard disk features such as booting from the media and running operating systems on it are more difficult for vendors to implement in a standard way."

This was originally posted it 2010 and I hope things have improved since then, but my original advice to verify your backup / restore solution still stands.

I regret to say that I worked on the predecessor to the SSD as described in this quote:

"[I]SSDs had origins in the 1950s with two similar technologies: magnetic core memory and charged capacitor read-only storage (CCROS)."[/i]

At least these technologies were past their end of life by the time I ever touch them.
Stringer wrote on 1/16/2016, 7:34 PM
@ DiDequ

What would be the real world advantage, in Vegas or any other non-enterprise environment, for having faster disk I/O than what can be had with an average SSD?
DiDequ wrote on 1/17/2016, 2:04 AM
@ Stringer
What would be the real world advantage, in Vegas or any other non-enterprise environment, for having faster disk I/O than what can be had

Same answer for me with a PCiE SSD compared to a Serial ATA SSD : CoachShane wants to render his videos as fast as possible ! for sure, this kind of drive will help him.

@ john_dennis
Today, you can boot Linux and Win 10 with this kind of harddrive.
You can also build your hackintosh with it :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/74712-fresh-mountain-lion-10-8-2-install-revodrive-x2.html
Stringer wrote on 1/17/2016, 8:27 AM
There would be no difference in rendering with SSD or PCIE SSD..

CoachShane would do well to spend his money on better CPU/GPU..