time for those Vegas 7 wishes...

Comments

MH_Stevens wrote on 1/10/2006, 11:50 AM
The need to "zip" a veg file with a simple tone as needed in the last VASST competition made me wish Vegas has a simple internal tone generator.
Wes C. Attle wrote on 1/11/2006, 8:32 AM
Reply by: DSE
Date: 1/5/2006 3:28:54 AM
As far as the rest of Peter's intermediate request,
only the HDV should be turned into an intermediary,
no other media type should be.

spot, thanks for the advice. I can't agree with you more after testing. Do you happen to know how the Print to HDV/mt2 works in Vegas? I was thinking that it renders to Cineform avi and encodes to mpeg/m2t, much like Vegas renders to DV and encodes to mpeg2 simultaneously you Render As DVDA MPEG2 directly from the timeline.

So my thought originally (until I tested) was to render my entire project to Cineform AVI just once to have a top quality source to encode from to multiple formats. The project had HDV, DV, and high-res JPG sources and needed to be rendered to m2t/HDV tape, DVDA friendly mpeg2, DV-avi, and wmv. So I thought rendering to HDV quality AVI which I could then encode to m2t, and the other formats would allow me to render the AVI in best quality once then encode to mpegs and wmv.

In the end, I could not print my project back to tape or save it in HDV resolution for safe keeping and best possible presentation. It would have actually taken weeks. But the DV render was fast and all formats looks real pretty. I just wish I could have an HDV resolution copy of the entire project for future use.
Coursedesign wrote on 1/11/2006, 8:37 AM
I just wish I could have an HDV resolution copy of the entire project for future use.

So buy a hard drive at the next local electronics store or online sale. 160GB Seagate for $49 or whatever is available this week.

That is the least expensive way, and you can even have all project files together (which you couldn't on an HDV tape).
David Thiel wrote on 4/8/2006, 4:46 PM
please separate the properties of titles from the text!
I might have a couple of dozen title clips and the client wants blue/shadowed text. I want to change the color and shadow properties of a group of selected text clips without changing their text.

there are lots of ways to do this (see layout and word processing programs)
Also, why is the text window not sizeable? My screen is big, why can I see the project window where I am typing?

Fancy text would be nice but basic text stuff should just work better.
TheRhino wrote on 4/8/2006, 8:21 PM
I have been a registered Vegas owner since Version 3.0, and have been happy with the improvements made to VV4 and VV6. [VV4 - advanced color correction, VV6 dual processor support.] I skipped VV5 because it did not add enough features that I personally needed at the time.

I will likely upgrade to VV7 if it continues to offer better multi-processor support and/or the ability to save, organize & maintain my custom presets.

The longer I use Vegas, the more presets I establish for all of the effects and tools. Mainly, I would like to be able to organize these presets more efficiently and also be able to store more of them [Vegas is currently limited to the number of presets you can save.... real bummer....] The ability to transfer these presets between computers, or save them along with a project would be a great asset. Sometimes I rework a project years later, but all of my custom presets have changed or I am working on a new computer. It would be great to have a more efficient system!

SO HERE IS MY LIST

1) Better multi-processor support for all rendering codecs [as noted]

2) Efficient method to save, organize and transfer custom presets for all Vegas tools and settings [as noted above].

3) An ongoing text-dump of changes that have been made to a project. Sometimes I pickup a project after working on many others, and forget where I left off. It would be nice to quickly scan a text message and remember the last 10 steps I performed...

4) Better Velocity Control - others have made comments here... a preset for 0%, ability to not move the entire timeline by anchoring certain points, etc.

5) Stop Motion Capture

6) More control over credit rolls and text in general - too often I have to use 3rd party tools whenever I want something to look right...

7) An AUTO color-correct & contrast tool much like what DVDa has under "Crop & Adjust". Sometimes DVDa does a better job color correcting pictures used as menu buttons, than I have done in color correcting that particular scene in Vegas. This could save me time if Vegas did a quick auto-color correct first, and I came along and polished the areas where Vegas missed it.

Workstation C with $600 USD of upgrades in April, 2021
--$360 11700K @ 5.0ghz
--$200 ASRock W480 Creator (onboard 10G net, TB3, etc.)
Borrowed from my 9900K until prices drop:
--32GB of G.Skill DDR4 3200 ($100 on Black Friday...)
Reused from same Tower Case that housed the Xeon:
--Used VEGA 56 GPU ($200 on eBay before mining craze...)
--Noctua Cooler, 750W PSU, OS SSD, LSI RAID Controller, SATAs, etc.

Performs VERY close to my overclocked 9900K (below), but at stock settings with no tweaking...

Workstation D with $1,350 USD of upgrades in April, 2019
--$500 9900K @ 5.0ghz
--$140 Corsair H150i liquid cooling with 360mm radiator (3 fans)
--$200 open box Asus Z390 WS (PLX chip manages 4/5 PCIe slots)
--$160 32GB of G.Skill DDR4 3000 (added another 32GB later...)
--$350 refurbished, but like-new Radeon Vega 64 LQ (liquid cooled)

Renders Vegas11 "Red Car Test" (AMD VCE) in 13s when clocked at 4.9 ghz
(note: BOTH onboard Intel & Vega64 show utilization during QSV & VCE renders...)

Source Video1 = 4TB RAID0--(2) 2TB M.2 on motherboard in RAID0
Source Video2 = 4TB RAID0--(2) 2TB M.2 (1) via U.2 adapter & (1) on separate PCIe card
Target Video1 = 32TB RAID0--(4) 8TB SATA hot-swap drives on PCIe RAID card with backups elsewhere

10G Network using used $30 Mellanox2 Adapters & Qnap QSW-M408-2C 10G Switch
Copy of Work Files, Source & Output Video, OS Images on QNAP 653b NAS with (6) 14TB WD RED
Blackmagic Decklink PCie card for capturing from tape, etc.
(2) internal BR Burners connected via USB 3.0 to SATA adapters
Old Cooler Master CM Stacker ATX case with (13) 5.25" front drive-bays holds & cools everything.

Workstations A & B are the 2 remaining 6-core 4.0ghz Xeon 5660 or I7 980x on Asus P6T6 motherboards.

$999 Walmart Evoo 17 Laptop with I7-9750H 6-core CPU, RTX 2060, (2) M.2 bays & (1) SSD bay...

PixelStuff wrote on 4/9/2006, 12:44 AM
I agree with Padre that the biggest downfall to Vegas is the slow rendering times compared to the competition. When trying to convert Final Cut Pro users over to Vegas that has basicly been the only reason that they gave for not giving in. :-)

I also agree with BeerAndChips on the motion tracking feature. I've formaly requested that over the last 3 versions and so far nothing.

Third, 64bit OS support, preferably across the entire software line, but definitely as each new version is released. I.e. WindowsXP x64 was released spring of 2005 so any new Sony versions released more than 4-6 months after that should be 64bit native. At least that should be the rule for high end media apps.

Forth, I think the full manual needs to be the help file. Rather than the help file being a slimmed down version that just tells you what the tool is. Give us a context sensative help (as it is now) but with the extra info normaly found in the PDF. And the manual needs to include some basic technique help for newbies. For example the help section for the compressor would have a description of what the compressor interface does. Then what a technical description of what a compressor does to the audio. Then some examples of when or why a compressor might be used.