I think it probably is time. As a beta-tester, I know that by the time the beta comes out, it'll be too late to add anything major, so best to get things on their list now and let them know just how important what things are to how many people.
1. I've been wondering why the .NET stuff was forced upon us w. V5. What purpose does it serve ?
2. I'd used V4 for live recording with good results for several concerts, no gaps in audio, but first time out with V5, 2 gaps which I didn't notice until a customer pointed them out and I had to replace 30 CD-R's from backup DAT. After reverting to V4, I've done 2 concerts with no problems at all, and I've listened to every minute of them. Using RME Multiface/Cardbus, ASIO.
2. Sensible, long overdue, real world useability issues, that bring vegas the last 2 or 3 inches to being a True PT Killer, such as
2a) Senisble routing, including ways to get directly out without panning
2b) ASIO DM, no more excuses, latency free monitoring with the ability, as in all the other major players to control both the input path and the playback path in one seamless motion. In Nuendo and Samplitude, this is already implemented and working under both software fader control and the mackie control
3. Related to the above, the ability to make and control separate cue mixes, latency free from the software under ASIO DM
4. Related to above, under ASIO DM, true sends and returns latency free to external hardware devices for mixing and tracking this is already implemented fine in other apps
5. Efficiency, bring vegas back up to the position of worlds most efficient app, give us more tracks and fx ability per the same CPU as when we used to womp on nuendo
6. Make the keyboard preference and control surface preference assignment UI something that resembles normal sonic foundry apps in ease of use and intuitiveness. A little box will let you hit a key and it will tell you where it is assigned no muss no fuss.
7.Bring back the easy right click pitch shift UI, with the little boxes for quick change of cents and pitch as in Vegas 4
8. Same as 2, bring back a sensible routing, with further enhancements to make buss, aux and assignable fx all separate useful functions
9. SOME WAY whether in vegas or without so we can record midi while we record audio
that way is cool, but then I need to "show active take names in events" (which I have assigned to a switch on the mackie control) in order to tell whats going on. Vegas performs much better for me when the mackie control is inactive, so sometimes I'd like to use the right click UI. I miss the old one and dont understand why it had to go away
When events are grouped, event fades and fade changes should also be grouped.
Import MIDI Tempo maps
TEMPO CHANGES!!!, decent grid / bar / zoom.
Enhanced bussable metronome, with ability to add sub beats (I.E. Boss Dr. Beat Drum machine)
All manner of export to other program friendly methods!
Rewire to give us MIDI sequencing functionality.
When copying / pasting groouped events, CTRL + drag should drag the entire group without having to highlight the whole group.
Glue tool - to glue together split audio events.
VST FX, to improve the CPU usage when using UAD1 powered plugins.
Optimised audio engine, especially for projects with thousands of events.
Status indicator for whenever Vegas is thinking, I.E. grouping 800 odd audio splits takes some time!
Render crossfades option to ease computer strain?
I love Vegas dearly, but there seems to be progressively more and more work demanding these features, and I really don't want to move to another application. The interface here is so sensible and seamless. I feel like we've been waiting for years for Vegas to blossom could six finally be the answer?
Interested in beta testing this one - email firstname.lastname@example.org (aka webpuppy from the old boards)
Please make a way to lock events in time and still edit them. ie: trim edit front and back, level changes, fade changes. Now if you lock an event and need to change it you have to unlock it and risk slipping it out of sync.
Also a better way of importing and naming CD audio. Maybe the ability to import as different file types as well.
If you don't think that the Vegas team looks at this, you're wrong. They do. The only problem is that it's hard to consolidate these threads and make a list of the "most asked for features" Maybe someone will when this is done.
Anyway, here's my list:
1) better time stretching. Could always be better, especially with voice only.
2) pitch envelopes
3) tempo envelopes
4) ability to record in different formats (i.e. .pca, aif, etc.)
5) ability to archive to .pca (save and copy - choose file format)
6) an envelope drawing tool
7) better plugin chainer and preset management: in other words, plugin chains and presets should behave the way files do. When they are altered in any way, an asterisk should be placed by the name so we know it's been modified. We should also be asked if we want to save over an existing chain in Vegas when saving with the name of an existing chain (duh). Also, when opeing a project that already has a chain loaded, it should show you the chain name and not just Untitled.
8) A media manager would be nice, if you can work out the kinks from Acid 5. I'd love a way to organize all my SFX
9) Nested timelines
10) True solo behavior
11) Lock events but still allow editing and trimming.
12) remove all unused takes and media
13) Event plugins
14) OMF integration!!
15) Folder tracks and hidden tracks
16) hide markers and regions command
17) copy and paste effects from track to track (or drag and drop)
I saw many-many of my wishes in your list, but let me give you (and hopefully Sony) my plusses.
1. LOOPABLE FOLDER TRACKS.
When a new folder "take" is created, i wanna loop it "logically" - without "phisically" copying the datas inside. It's really unnecessary to for eg. copy the kick drums through the whole song. And (almost) impossible to bulid a perfect 4/4 while listening the pre-mixed 32/4 refrain. And the CPU power..
2. SWING FACTOR. I think the perfect 16th is painful to the most rock and "live" music. Is this really hard to implement the swing to the grid? (in%)
I do mostly quantizing live tracks, and they're crying for this!!
3. FADES WITH NON ZERO-START/END. This should be done by pushing up the start/end point of the fade. ("pre-compression")
4. SHOW THE ACTIVE TAKE NUMBER WITHOUT THE NAME.
5. BETTER TIMESTRETCH. Or at "least" a bridge to 3rd party app. (TimeFactory for eg..)
6. EASY SAMPLER-TYPE PITCH. I can not do a simple pitch corr., couse the time-corrected-pitch-shifter is programmed to the +/- keys. Right click, properties.... c'mon..
7. SEAMLESS MEDIA UPDATES. This is very frustrating to me. I use min. 2-3 instances of Vegas at the same time on the same computer to keep my edits "managable".. (more than tons of...) I render the 1st session and use that file in the 2nd session. And if that's not fit perfectly i do the changes in the 1st, and render again with the same name as before. In this situation sometimes the 1st sess. says something like "that media is used by another app..".. Not always...
8. ADD TAKES TO THE TAKES FROM THE TIMELINE. (i'm perfect take fanatic..)