Vegas Pro 13/15 "Initializing GPU" failure on start

alissonpc wrote on 5/31/2018, 8:10 AM

This week I updated my Sound Forge and Vegas to the most current versions - 12 and 15.
Sound Forge is working fine but Vegas is freezing on loading on this "Initializing GPU-accelerared video processing" screen.
I tried reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers, uninstalled Vegas 15 and went back to 13 ... It was no use.
Can anyone help me move from this screen to re-use Vegas as before?

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 5/31/2018, 8:41 AM

What are your system specs?

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

alissonpc wrote on 5/31/2018, 8:58 AM

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz

Memory Type            DDR3
Memory Size            8 GBytes

Hard Disk Capacity        931.5 GB

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family / AMD Radeon R7 M260 2 GB

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit   (Build 17134)

*I've tried putting Vegas in the Radeon software profile as "High Performance" but it did not work.

alissonpc wrote on 6/1/2018, 10:29 PM

Based on your post above:

1) It's the lastest update (15.0.361);
2) As I could run it on version 13 on past moment this isn't a problem (i've tried do downgrade and version 13 still not opening too due to same problem);
3) No error messages about activation and license;
4) No new updates, running the lastest build of the OS (Windows 10 Pro v1803 build 17134.81);
5) Error continues even disabling the antivirus (Kaspersky);
9) Video drivers updated and i've tried to launch Vegas with the older version too, same problem;
10) Trying compatibility mode with Windows 8 and 7 doesn't made any effect;
11) No DirectX problem;
12) Error continues even running with administrator rights;
13) Not found this file;
14) As I couldn't start since installing no recent project is the problem (and I haven't projects to try loading);
15) I haven't SeMW Extensions;
16) Tried to run with Vegas in "High Performance" on Radeon settings but doesn't made any effect;
17) Now with AMD Radeon Software, not Catalyst anymore;
18) Tried this... Doesn't made any effect;
19) Tried this... Doesn't made any effect;
20) Tried this... Doesn't made any effect;

I think I only will get rid from this if I format Windows 😔

alissonpc wrote on 6/2/2018, 3:43 PM

This cured it for me

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/failed-to-initialize-gpu--110477/

Doesn't has this folder on Common Files

alissonpc wrote on 6/2/2018, 3:48 PM

i.e. #6 in the post.

The unique folder I found was C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 15.0\OFX Video Plug-Ins i deleted it and tried to run Vegas... Same problem, stuck.

NickHope wrote on 6/4/2018, 12:04 AM

So move on to the rest of #6 in that post, which includes disabling VST plugins, which is what solved the problem for John Lewis.

p.s. Do not just delete those folders. Move them to a location where VEGAS won't find them, then move the contents back until you find what is causing the problem.

alissonpc wrote on 6/4/2018, 2:56 PM

As I said the John Lewis folder that he found I foundn't.
And I made the drastical job... Formated Windows yesterday.
But unfortunatelly was in vain... "Initializing GPU-accelerared video processing" is still here.
So i think isn't a software issue anymore. BIOS or hardware could be involved on this.
So i think Vegas never will run on this machine anymore. 😔

OldSmoke wrote on 6/4/2018, 3:21 PM

But unfortunatelly was in vain... "Initializing GPU-accelerared video processing" is still here.
So i think isn't a software issue anymore. BIOS or hardware could be involved on this.

Have you tried disabling your Intel GPU in the BIOS and connect the monitor to your graphic card? Keep in that for Vegas and maybe even Windows to see the iGPU your monitor must be connected to it and in the BIOS the iGPU must be selected as primary; at least that is how it works on most systems.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

alissonpc wrote on 6/4/2018, 8:46 PM

Have you tried disabling your Intel GPU in the BIOS and connect the monitor to your graphic card? Keep in that for Vegas and maybe even Windows to see the iGPU your monitor must be connected to it and in the BIOS the iGPU must be selected as primary; at least that is how it works on most systems.

It's a notebook... Yes, wasn't totally mentioned but as I said on my System Specs the Dedicated GPU is AMD Radeon M270.
It is a Dell Inspiron 15 5547.
And... No, the problem is not "running Vegas on a notebook", I could run old Vegas versions since I bought it with Windows 8.1 (4/5 years ago).
Checking the BIOS i couldn't find any thing about "graphics".

alissonpc wrote on 6/4/2018, 11:59 PM

But now this don't let my head off. Can a BIOS update crash the system like this? Unfortunatelly I don't remember when was the last time I runned Vegas and this BIOS was released 24/01/2018, I updated it and... I don't know if I runned Vegas before it but I think YES, as I had Vegas 13 and as I said this crash start after uninstall both old Vegas and Sound Forge and updated both to the last version.

I'm contacting Dell Support Comunnity too about this. Is "yes"... Only a "BIOS downgrade", if this is possible, could save me.

But keep trying to help me guys, i'm doing all you're suggesting me to try to run Vegas again.

OldSmoke wrote on 6/5/2018, 12:21 AM

How many display output ports does the laptop have? Are you using an external monitor?

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

alissonpc wrote on 6/6/2018, 9:53 AM

How many display output ports does the laptop have? Are you using an external monitor?

I'm using the main screen, not another display on the HDMI port.

OldSmoke wrote on 6/6/2018, 11:29 AM

I'm using the main screen, not another display on the HDMI port.

In that case, it's usually the iGPU, I believe it's a Intel HD4000 or 4400, that is used and not the discrete GPU. Many laptops from that time would only activate the discrete GPU, your AMD M270 when an external monitor is connected. If you have the option, try and connect an external display, even a HD TV and see if Vegas can start. If it does, change the GPU acceleration either to your Intel GPU or OFF. Then try again without the external display.

Last changed by OldSmoke on 6/6/2018, 11:30 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

System Spec.:

alissonpc wrote on 6/7/2018, 8:50 AM

I haven't an external monitor to make this test. I don't know how to enable/disable Intel GPU functions, the menu have few options (and AMD Radeon software is confuse).

Elex wrote on 6/7/2018, 9:52 AM

Can you see the AMD Radeon R7 M260 2 GB in Device Manager? if so, right-click it and select disable

alissonpc wrote on 6/8/2018, 7:14 PM

Can you see the AMD Radeon R7 M260 2 GB in Device Manager? if so, right-click it and select disable

I'll do this test soon. This will not cause a "black screen", right?

alissonpc wrote on 6/8/2018, 7:22 PM

So... Yesterday I paid an online support service to try to make "the things happen" here. The remote technician started at 11am. and at 5h30pm. before I go out to class he didn't came to a conclusion. He made some things I made and some things like "monitor Windows Services while Vegas 15 load until the GPU screen" but no fatal error or crash. The result was "inconclusive".

After very much programs and things made I re-formatted my PC. I'm with the same Windows Pro x64 Build, updated drivers from Dell/Windows Update and the last AMD Radeon driver (18.5.2).

BUT... I'll not try to run Vegas now and will not be the 15 edition. Even Sound Forge hasn't nothing about this all, i'll install Sound Forge and Vegas the last build of both before it become MAGIX softwares, so will be Sound Forge 11.299 and Vegas 13.453

As I have some lessons to do i'll only try this next week, i don't want headaches with Vegas (if I have).

I'm cheering a clean install again but an older Vegas version could run.

So guys give me luck and have a nice weekend, i'll report everyone soon.

alissonpc wrote on 6/19/2018, 6:44 PM

SOLVED

Probably the problem is incompatibility of current AMD video drivers (18.6.2) with Vegas. But as I had quoted I would install the latest builds of both Sound Forge and Vegas that were still from Sony.

After reformatting the PC:
-I let Windows update the entire system, including the drivers (it downloads an older version of the AMD drivers);
-I left for a few days the system to run and update to make sure that it would not have update of new drivers;
-I disabled downloading drivers from Windows Update;
-I installed the latest version of AMD drivers "Microsoft WHQL certified" (18.5.1)
-I installed the specified Sound Forge and Vegas

Wow ... When I saw the loading bar of Vegas complete gave much joy!

Finally I can edit what I want in Vegas again! At the moment it does not have problem being a version of drivers or softwares without being able to update, for what I need at the moment enough.

-I have disabled downloading of new AMD driver updates so that you do not download the 18.6.2 version again

Thanks to everyone who gave their guess and time to help me solve this problem.