Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 12/13/2019, 5:08 PM

This thread may help if you wade though it https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/any-practical-difference-running-vp17-on-win-7-vs-win-10--117803/#ca734965

The short answer is it will probably run but not all features will be available. For example it won't import mts files.

You could download the 30 day trial to find out for yourself how it performs on your system. But going forward it's probably time you moved to WIn10. VEGASDerek and VEGASPascal make interesting comments in the linked thread.

Ralf wrote on 12/13/2019, 7:23 PM

It runs fine on my system... so far. Main issue is updates have to be separately downloaded from Magix; no in-program updating since Vegas no longer terminates properly. In fact, task manager has to be loaded to kill Vegas everytime. Annoying and growing more so, which means I'll have to look into the batch file floating around to kill instances.

Other than than that I haven't run into anything insurmountable outside of the usual things one has to do to stabilize a version's idiosyncrasies.

I'm running a fairly extreme system though so ymmv.

fr0sty wrote on 12/13/2019, 10:35 PM

Don't waste your time, you can expect problems. If not now, eventually. Just upgrade windows.

j-v wrote on 12/14/2019, 4:23 AM

+1

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
522.22 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 522.22 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

fred-w wrote on 12/14/2019, 8:49 PM

Don't waste your time, you can expect problems. If not now, eventually. Just upgrade windows.

A lot of people prefer Win 7, for a plethora of reasons. So, no thanks. Eventually we'll all be dead too.

fr0sty wrote on 12/14/2019, 10:39 PM

Then you'll have to stick to older versions of Vegas if you want stability and want it to work as it should. Windows 7 lacks features needed to run Vegas properly, and it isn't even supported by Microsoft much longer. There's no use in bothering updating it on the Vegas end for Win 7 users when there's no hope of Microsoft fixing something that could be causing problems.

Last changed by fr0sty on 12/14/2019, 10:40 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

fred-w wrote on 12/15/2019, 4:26 PM

I'm not worried. Thanks.

fr0sty wrote on 12/15/2019, 5:05 PM

Good to know. However, the OP, has good reason to if they wish to utilize Vegas 17 to its full potential, so that is why I am taking care to point out all the downfalls of trying to shove the square peg into the circle hole with V17 and Win7.

fred-w wrote on 12/15/2019, 8:25 PM

Look, I'm not trying to start WWIII over OSs and Vegas. Most would agree, I'm quite sure, that Vegas has enough trouble keeping out of its own way and prioritizing substance over style (or gizmos, or hamburger menus and storyboards) forget about Win 7 (0r 8 or 29) being the problem that WE Vegas aficionados have to worry about - stability wise, reliability wise. Plenty of people, witnessed on this forum, are having as many, and probably MORE problems than I, and they are running your favored OS (and good for them, but I'm not telling THEM that they are ill informed, or blindly headed off the cliff).

I do agree with the idea that one would want to limit any component, software, hardware, or OS, that might add to one's potential for problems. But OSs are a mixed bag, what you might gain in one area, you certainly can lose in another, and that would vary from user to user and with that particular user's other, non OS, components. For example, if I have older hardware, I'm not necessarily going to benefit by an OS update, in fact, sometimes the opposite would be the result. How many times, for example, did we try the newest Quicktime driver, only to have to revert back to a "tried and true" QT 7.4. (you'd get this reference if you'd been doing Vegas for over 15 years). You don't think the same holds for OSs? I mean, were not talking apples and apples but some of the same principals apply.

I, for one, (and forgive me, I'm just funny that way) don't very much appreciate pedantic statements based on what some image is GOING to happen sometime in the future. This day has enough problems of its own (I'm getting biblical, look out).

Just a suggestion: start such advice with "In my opinion...xyz." (as opposed to: "you'd better, or else").

That would show a modicum of self awareness and balance.

fifonik wrote on 12/15/2019, 8:43 PM

Please, so not suggest the 'In my opinion" sh*t (pardon my English). Every post in the forum is just someone's opinion (unless poster is quoting someone). That's it. We do not need to have 'In my opinion' at the very beginning of every post.

Last changed by fifonik on 12/15/2019, 9:10 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

fr0sty wrote on 12/15/2019, 10:08 PM

There's no opinion about it. It's a well-documented fact. If you choose to use Vegas 17 on Windows 7, there are some issues you will encounter when trying to do certain things, and should you encounter an issue, you will not get any support whatsoever from Magix or most people on these forums either, because not even Microsoft is going to support that OS much longer. It is not advisable, which is why windows 10 is listed as a requirement.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

fred-w wrote on 12/15/2019, 11:31 PM

@fifonik @fr0sty OK, opinion vs. fact:

EXACTLY which issues am I now facing by foregoing Win 10. I'm all ears.

fred-w wrote on 12/15/2019, 11:43 PM

Please, so not suggest the 'In my opinion" sh*t (pardon my English). Every post in the forum is just someone's opinion (unless poster is quoting someone). That's it. We do not need to have 'In my opinion' at the very beginning of every post.

Every post? That's not what I'm suggesting.. Facts are facts, opinions are opinions; I'm just saying, let's not mix the two, and this goes back to some previous discussions on this board about OS preference. A preference, obviously, would bear "an opinion" supposition, but when one articulates an opinion, as IF it were fact, especially with not much fact based hard examples, then I believe people need to be clear about that. I used the word pedantic, look that up (I know English is not your first language, and you do quite well, nonetheless). Thanks for your "opinion" and I will take that under consideration.

fr0sty wrote on 12/15/2019, 11:51 PM

Many users have reported issues with screen capture on Windows 7 systems, Vegas has to be manually shut down in Windows 7, it cannot close the process out itself, and as Pascal once pointed out in another thread, Windows 10 made improvements to certain features Vegas depends on that make Vegas 17 run more stable than if you use Windows 7. Being that he's one of the ones writing the software, I'll take his word on that. Then there's the fact that many hardware manufacturers no longer make drivers for Windows 7, so if you buy any hardware to augment Vegas' capabilities with, you run the risk of not being able to use it. Then you do not get any support at all should you come across any issues. Then there's the fact that Microsoft themselves will pull the plug on Windows 7 in a few weeks, making it a security risk to even have it installed since no more security updates will be offered for it. Once the hackers crack that version open, that's it. Without Microsoft support, the GPU manufacturers will stop supporting drivers for 7 as well, which will then result in GPU related issues popping up in the future because you're using older drivers, and you won't be able to update them.

I'd say those are some pretty serious reasons to go ahead and update to 10 if you plan on using modern versions of Vegas.

Last changed by fr0sty on 12/15/2019, 11:53 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

fred-w wrote on 12/16/2019, 12:51 AM

@fr0sty Thanks Frosty. None of those are "deal breakers" for me, but all good to know. I the one item on the list that effects me directly is the "won't close" vegas170.exe but I've got the Waag app for that, works better than any other "close" routine, even Vegas own. The screen capture I'm not worried about. Some of the "downsides" to Win 10 have effected me more negatively, when I've used Win 10. So, that is my particular balancing act.

As far as drivers, I've not seen the closing out of driver support to come that quick, and again, it really doesn't effect me. I would rate that the lowest of concerns on my list.

But for me, that's me and others, of course are free to make their own determinations. The more general "improvements to Win 10 that Vegas depends on" I will take Pascal's word for (and yours) but that seems a bit amorphous, still. I'm sure there's not much interest on Vegas' part to produce any measurables in that regard.

To the general point of advice given/taken, since a lot of us don't know each other, I try to make it a point to qualify my own advice given, as to how reliable that advice would be, how seriously the person who doesn't know me and my particular expertise/experience with Vegas, etc. etc. should take that. If I have a rudimentary grasp of the subject, but want to supply an opinion, I let that be known. If I am more "firm" with my understanding, same idea. All for the sake of clarity and not to lead others astray, even inadvertantly. Cheers!

sam-s wrote on 7/21/2020, 2:26 AM

Don't hesitate, upgrading to Windows 10 is now the best thing to do.

Just do that:

https://www.passgeeker.com/upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-10-free.html

What is more it is a free program.

And Microsoft has released a lot of related content in this regard.

https://www.microsoft.com

john_dennis wrote on 7/21/2020, 11:20 AM

@fred-w said in the locked thread that was referenced above:

"The advice I'm asking for is for people to let me know their actual experience on Win 10 vs Win 7..."

I'll share my actual experience with the change from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on my primary Vegas workstation since others may have a similar experience.

After installing all the maintenance that was ever going to be available for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. I saved the system image so I will always have a Windows 7 fallback position for that hardware.

I did a clean installation of Windows 10 from the current ISO as of that date and configured Windows 10 to suit me. I had no problems with any version of Vegas Pro up to version 17, but I had other issues that were showstoppers relating to:

1. No Windows 10 driver available to run my HP scanjet 4570c scanner.
  2. Photoshop Elements 7 would not run under Windows 10.

Those may seem like trivial problems. The scanner issue could easily be fixed by spending money and adding another piece of electronics to a land fill near me. I ran a trial of the current version of Photoshop Elements and found near zero additions to the program functionality and a lot of added undesirable "help to do my job". I put a fair amount of effort into finding solutions to these problems, but found them intractable with a clean Windows 10 installation.

The Solution

I did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Pro over the last and final Windows 7 Pro system image.

• The HP scanjet 4570c scanner works perfectly in Windows 10 Pro now.
  • Photoshop Elements 7 works just as it did under Windows 7.

It appears that Microsoft is less heavy-handed about destroying functionality for upgrade users than for users doing a clean installation. That was true as of January 2020. Because of this scenario, I keep "donor" system images for all of the systems that I own that ever ran Windows 7.