Vegas Pro 17: first impressions ?

massimo-rossi wrote on 8/6/2019, 3:12 AM

Hi guys.

What are your first impressions about Vegas Pro 17 ?

Mine are very good: a lot of new features, most of them useful and professional. Good stability (apart from BCC compatibility issues), pleasant to use.

One of the most relevant upgrade in the last years, in my opinion.

What do you think ?

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 8/6/2019, 3:17 AM

I agree, and many of the new features have actually made editing much faster and more enjoyable for me, as well as expanded upon my ability to collaborate with others.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

j-v wrote on 8/6/2019, 3:50 AM

As a video hobbyist only I found untill now nothing to gain I not already could do in VMS 16 together with VPro 16.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
560.70 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.70 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

paul-marshall wrote on 8/6/2019, 4:42 AM

I'm only a hobbyist but I found something - Lens correction. Works well and includes a big list of 'found lenses'. But then I wondered is the list included in V17 or has it found then on my system?

Windows 11.0 (64-bit)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight-Core Processor i9-11900K (3.5GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z590 UD AC (C (LGA1200, USB 3.2)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
GPU Nvidia GEFORCE RTX3060Ti
I/O drives: Intel SSD PEKNU020TZ 2TB, Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB, Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB
SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 2TB, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Audio: Soundblaster Z SE
Cameras: Sony AX-700, A7-IV, RX10-II
Vegas Po 21 latest version. Vegas user since V10

ERT wrote on 8/6/2019, 4:47 AM

I love the color grading panel. However, I find it very difficult to work on the controls. The controls are very sensitive and it is very difficult to make only minimal and small changes. Small changes to the controls have a very strong effect on my footage.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

For comparison: With the Video FX Color correction, even minimal changes can be made with the controls.

Or do I have a wrong feeling?

VEGAS Pro 21.0 B315

Computer:

i9 -9900KF @3,6 GHz // MSI MPG 7390 Gaming Plus // 32 GB Crucial Ballistix // Windows 10 64Bit (SSD M.2 PCIe) // Videoedit on SSD M.2 PCIe Kingston // NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Last Studio Driver)

Camera: Sony A7 IV // Sony A7 III // Sony A6500 // Canon XA20 | Audio: Zoom H4 // RODE Wireless Go II // Roland R05 // TASCAM DR10

massimo-rossi wrote on 8/6/2019, 4:50 AM

I honestly don't feel so difficult to work with color grading panel. By the way, it's strongly inspired to DaVinci grading...

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2019, 4:56 AM

@paul-marshall The lens database comes with VEGAS 17. You can add your own unknown lens by using the automatic estimation of PTLens (use the estimated parameters in VP17).

Marco. wrote on 8/6/2019, 4:58 AM

@ERT 
Hold Ctrl. pressed while adjusting the color grading controls.

ERT wrote on 8/6/2019, 5:05 AM

@ERT 
Hold Ctrl. pressed while adjusting the color grading controls.

Perfect, that's what I've been missing. Thank you Marco.

VEGAS Pro 21.0 B315

Computer:

i9 -9900KF @3,6 GHz // MSI MPG 7390 Gaming Plus // 32 GB Crucial Ballistix // Windows 10 64Bit (SSD M.2 PCIe) // Videoedit on SSD M.2 PCIe Kingston // NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Last Studio Driver)

Camera: Sony A7 IV // Sony A7 III // Sony A6500 // Canon XA20 | Audio: Zoom H4 // RODE Wireless Go II // Roland R05 // TASCAM DR10

Grazie wrote on 8/6/2019, 5:59 AM

No.1 For me it is Colour Grading. A chunk of sensible and value Controls that at last bring VP into the approoaching 2nd decade of the 21st Century. Well done MAGIX.

No.2 Could be Nested T/Ls. I'll see . . . .

I've already purchased and just did some rudimentary comparisons:

TWIXTOR7 works better and more fluid workflow than SloMo.

MOCHA Pro19 has Planar plus Remove plus a whole bunch of Grazie-Proof GUIs Controls. Also it uses GPU Acceleration and that with my PC is stunningly fast. No need for waiting for interminable Analysis. SloMo only uses CPU? True?

SPECTRAL Repair I've invested in iZotope RX6 Advanced and this has a mass and masses of other controls.

OK, heavy lifting. I used the J-V test. As to GPU tweaks for my new MONSTA! - not seeing much here? But at least it aint broke, which it could have been.

I'll keep testing and pestering and festering VP17 to see what I can add to my Narrative Creations.

VP17? What VP14s and VP13s have been waiting for and VP16s who've not invested in the feature-sets, albiet not full blown, like I have.

KUDOS to the Vegas Team who've proactively listened and reacted to what their exsisting Customer base are after. For Noobs to VegasPro, VP17 has gotta be a no brainer.

"TAXI!"

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2019, 7:14 AM

No.1 For me it is Colour Grading. A chunk of sensible and value Controls that at last bring VP into the approoaching 2nd decade of the 21st Century. Well done MAGIX.

No.2 Could be Nested T/Ls. I'll see . . . .

I've already purchased and just did some rudimentary comparisons:

TWIXTOR7 works better and more fluid workflow than SloMo.

MOCHA Pro19 has Planar plus Remove plus a whole bunch of Grazie-Proof GUIs Controls. Also it uses GPU Acceleration and that with my PC is stunningly fast. No need for waiting for interminable Analysis. SloMo only uses CPU? True?

SPECTRAL Repair I've invested in iZotope RX6 Advanced and this has a mass and masses of other controls.

OK, heavy lifting. I used the J-V test. As to GPU tweaks for my new MONSTA! - not seeing much here? But at least it aint broke, which it could have been.

I'll keep testing and pestering and festering VP17 to see what I can add to my Narrative Creations.

VP17? What VP14s and VP13s have been waiting for and VP16s who've not invested in the feature-sets, albiet not full blown, like I have.

KUDOS to the Vegas Team who've proactively listened and reacted to what their exsisting Customer base are after. For Noobs to VegasPro, VP17 has gotta be a no brainer.

"TAXI!"

The analysis (tracking) is working on CPU and the optical flow method is GPU accelerted. Now you can work/animate without the analysis on each frame like in Twixtor. Give the small Slow Motion feature a chance (otherwise you have got Twixtor 7). @Grazie What do you think about "Smart Split"?

Grazie wrote on 8/6/2019, 7:25 AM

The analysis (tracking) is working on CPU and the optical flow method is GPU accelerted.

@VEGASPascal - Ah, righto!

Now you can work/animate without the analysis on each frame like in Twixtor. Give the small Slow Motion feature a chance (otherwise you have got Twixtor 7).

Understood, I didn’t know..

@Grazie What do you think about "Smart Split"?

@VEGASPascal - Is that an Ice Cream & Yellow Fruit Desert for intellectuals? Is there a Tutorial for Smart Splitting?

Len Kaufman wrote on 8/6/2019, 7:35 AM

One of the things I noticed in the rollout for 17 is not even what's in the actual program. I feel the promos for the new version are sleek and modern...21st Century stuff. How does that help me? If the promotion of MVP attracts new customers and retains the fan base, then Magix will have the incentive (and resources) to continue development. Many of us had the feeling for awhile that MVP was going to get shelved. Now it looks like it's got a new lease on life.

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2019, 7:40 AM

The analysis (tracking) is working on CPU and the optical flow method is GPU accelerted.

@VEGASPascal - Ah, righto!

Now you can work/animate without the analysis on each frame like in Twixtor. Give the small Slow Motion feature a chance (otherwise you have got Twixtor 7).

Understood, I didn’t know..

@Grazie What do you think about "Smart Split"?

@VEGASPascal - Is that an Ice Cream & Yellow Fruit Desert for intellectuals? Is there a Tutorial for Smart Splitting?

Yes. Easy explained by Gary and very powerful https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/online-tutorials/

VEGASPascal wrote on 8/6/2019, 7:43 AM

One of the things I noticed in the rollout for 17 is not even what's in the actual program. I feel the promos for the new version are sleek and modern...21st Century stuff. How does that help me? If the promotion of MVP attracts new customers and retains the fan base, then Magix will have the incentive (and resources) to continue development. Many of us had the feeling for awhile that MVP was going to get shelved. Now it looks like it's got a new lease on life.

Brighter than ever before. 😊

Grazie wrote on 8/6/2019, 8:12 AM

@VEGASPascal Yup, that’s certainly Smart.

Dexcon wrote on 8/6/2019, 8:21 AM

@ Grazie ...

I've invested in iZotope RX6 Advanced

RX6 Adv is brilliant for my needs, though for some things, especially cloning (aka copy/paste selected freq/time length ), SpectraLayers is better IMO. Nonetheless, RX6 and its tools is absolutely superb.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Former user wrote on 8/6/2019, 8:22 AM

So far I am enjoying the new features.

They are doing what they were designed to do. Just Vegas SlowMotion that is generating some weird artifacts, a sort of glitch in the preview and Vegas Screen Capture that doesn't work here. But it is still early to reach a conclusion. I will do more tests.

I found the audio synchronization fantastic in the multicam system which can also be used to synchronize other audio events that are in the timeleine.

Video stabilization has evolved a lot since its release and is now solid and stable, at least for me.

The new Color Grading system has been very efficient, mainly because it is integrated with Belzier Mask. This makes it possible to track motion in a selected area and apply Color Grading to that area. Considering that it is the first version, I believe that this tool will be one of the most evolving over time.

The Nesting system may be better as it is not possible to re-nest a project that is already defined as nesting. (Make a nest within another).

The UI improvements in this release were the best I've seen since Vegas Pro 15.

GABRIEL_TRON wrote on 8/6/2019, 9:18 AM
  • I really liked the Color Grading, as an MS16 Platinum user new to NLE´s I was already thinking about learning Da Vinci Resolve to be able to color grade using tools that looked easier and more intuitive (with the scopes and all) as well as being a program that is hot right now and free. The launch was quite timely in that regard and if not for this aspect (which I found out about in the stream) I doubt I would have purchased.
  • I was pleasantly surprised the video card was enabled by default. That shows confidence that the video card issues have been improved. In MS16-P I turned my video card on... then off. Granted I have played very little with 17, so maybe I am an optimist, but so far no crashes.

GABRIEL_TRON wrote on 8/6/2019, 9:36 AM

I agree it attracts new customers and I am one of them. If I wanted to edit in something that looks like Winzip I would have chosen something else...😁

However, I have been getting a sleek vibe for a bit longer. In the year I have been lurking the official website I saw many times the promos for MS 15-16 and VP16 and now 17 and they have this very similar look (which is not a bad thing).

Grazie wrote on 8/6/2019, 9:37 AM

@VEGASPascal - SloMo: How do I access Optical Flow?

Marco. wrote on 8/6/2019, 9:39 AM

Use the "TimeWarp" FX. Could also be labeled "Slow Motion" FX in the English version of VP17.

Grazie wrote on 8/6/2019, 10:07 AM

@Marco. - Can't locate "TimeWarp" FX. SloMo yes.

Marco. wrote on 8/6/2019, 10:24 AM

I think this is just a different naming between the localized versions.

zdogg wrote on 8/6/2019, 10:29 AM

I am finding MVP 17 smoother. The interface is a bit cleaner. Some interesting offerings, looking forward to getting deeper.

While I appreciate the feature set, there are a lot of "day in day out" GUI protocols that could be well improved, and should have been, long ago

I sometimes think the developers, while talented and well meaning, don't really do much editing themselves, especially multi track complex compositing. I think MVP developers need to look no further than Magix's Samplitude to find some inspiration.

The mouse offerings, just for one, are archane. Just for example, if I want the mouse wheel for vertical scrolling, why can't that be available, and if I then do a work around and use a CTRL Key Mod, to acheive that, then not have that action work differently when I happen to hover over the track list area. Just some really weird and dumb functionalities in the GUI that never get a second thought. Exasperating.

Why vertical scroll won't show part of a track, it "clik" rolls instead of smooth roll. Also a PITA if I am zoomed in.

They absolutely need to employ the Samplitude "range" selection idea. Also more "rubber band" on envelope creation and editing. Try "drawing" a straight line with the stupid pencil. (OK, someone will jump in with well, just use the CNTRL while drawing.....sure...right)....

It's the small nigggly stuff that never gets looked at. I think the 'story board' idea is wonderful, I really do wonder though, if I'd ever really use that (I thought I would, so far, no). So, the bells and whistles approach to software development sometimes chaffes my hide, if you yourself have "been there, done that" you'd understand. Sorry for the mini rant.

All of that off my chest, KUDOS to Gary and the development team. Some real heavy lifts here and VEGAS is back. Magix is the great partner I predicted, (long time Magix customer).

NOW, please, give us long time users (eighteen years) some love......THANKS!!