Comments

ReneH wrote on 9/1/2007, 6:13 PM
Screenshots? Can we at least see some screenshots of Vegas 8?
jrazz wrote on 9/1/2007, 6:20 PM
Screen Grab

j razz
Tim L wrote on 9/1/2007, 6:47 PM
no clue what digital signage tool is so maybe curious is better word for that one

Actually, the digital signage issue was covered in one of the press releases or announcements -- maybe the one posted above in this thread? It refers to those LCD/plasma whatever screens you might see in department stores that are hung vertically -- like portrait mode vs. landscape. If I understand correctly, V8 will let you rotate the preview window and edit as a vertical image. (You originally shoot the footage on a tripod with your camera sideways in order to capture a vertical format.) I assume titling, etc., is also adapted to remain in its "normal" orientation on this vertical screen.

Tim L

Edit: Nope -- it wasn't in the press release above. I think I saw the info here, under the "Video Editing" link in the upper right corner:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=457
bruceo wrote on 9/1/2007, 6:59 PM
Hopefully they will have the important no random black frame feature included as well as the no catastrophic lockups on HDV footage as well as the build HDV audio peaks past 77% without locking up feature as well as the no lockup on HDV render feature. Hopefully if these features are included at the top of the list so a 12 years exclusively Vegas user can not have to use the premiere CS3 that is literally installing on my main system as we speak.... Please Lord make it so!!
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 9/1/2007, 8:31 PM
What surprises me, is that even though no-one has found any statement of support for vista the screen grabs are all in a vista theme (and probably are vista). so obviously it's either there already or coming very soon.

Dave
Tim L wrote on 9/1/2007, 8:48 PM
Vista *is* officially mentioned in the System Requirements link from the link I posted just a few posts up:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=457&PageID=108

Also mentioned in the press release p@mast3rs posted above.

Tim L
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 9/1/2007, 10:09 PM
ok, well, I'll just shut up now :P

That's what I get for not reading everything :)

Dave
dreamlx wrote on 9/2/2007, 12:45 AM
I just noticed ram requirements:

Vegas 7 : 256MB
Vegas 8 : 1GB

My main machines are ok, but I think I have to upgrade my render nodes... Is this 1 GB only used for an editing machine or also for a render node ?
Vidmar wrote on 9/2/2007, 8:28 AM
A quick message from a casual Vegas/DVDA user since v5.

If the upgrade cost is really going to be ~$350 Sony is going to lose a large number of home users (like me) that don't use Vegas to make an income and only like to use it for personal/family production. Vegas Movie Studio is too limited in the number of tracks for even some simple projects. So what are we (the home crowd) supposed to do? Stay at v7 or begin to look elsewhere down the road?

Don't get me wrong, I think they have added some nice features, but the only one that *might* be useful for a user like me would be the better tilter.

Sony is losing my dollars in a number of areas (due to rootkits, DRM, etc) and if this upgrade cost is too high this will only add to my list of reasons to look elsewhere.
jrazz wrote on 9/2/2007, 10:54 AM
Vidmar,

Where would you look to find something on par with Vegas? You could always use the Movie Studio version or, well, there is Pinnacle, but that is another horror story in itself. I don't really know what options there are that you could move on to that could do what Vegas can do. I wouldn't think you would fork out the cash for Premiere or FCP or an Avid system just to turn around and pay high upgrade prices on top of the initial price.

It sounds like Vegas Movie Studio would be geared more towards your price point inspite of the limited tracks. Just some thoughts... what would you consider going to?

j razz
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 9/2/2007, 1:13 PM
If you are not going to be able to afford the upgrade, how did you ever afford the initial purchase of it to begin with? It was more than 350 to buy vegas, how did you get it to begin with? and if history is anything to go by, there will be a discount period to get a better price on the upgrade (not to mention that usually the boxed upgrades are more expensive than the non-boxed versions. so, it may be as little as something like 199 for the upgrade for the first month after the release as a download. Just a speculation here, so don't quote me on it by any means.

Dave
p@mast3rs wrote on 9/2/2007, 3:06 PM
If I recall, downloads cost the same as the box versions only with download versions, you can opt to buy physical backup media for a nominal fee (think it was $15 last time).

I believe 7 upgrade was $159 for the first month and then jump to $249 after it. Not sure so dont quote me. If they are asking $350 for the 8 upgrade, I expect them to ask $259 for the first month which is more than I would like to spend for the same amount of new features as 7 had.
stevengotts wrote on 9/2/2007, 3:58 PM
Friar
Go to the official announcement page and get on the mailing list. And pay attention to that Sony thing of giving a good break within the first month of release.

I've done that every year & NEVER get e-mail for Vegas products, only Acid & Sound Forge products. I gave up on the e-mail a long time ago. :)

Ditto for me, not once for years and years, but i get the others
rs170a wrote on 9/2/2007, 4:01 PM
Vegas 5 to Vegas6+DVD - $199.95 (download)
Vegas 6+DVD to Vegas 7+DVD - $134.95 (download)
Both upgrades were purchased within a week of release.

If Vegas 8 goes for $249, IMO it'll be a damn good deal.
From what I've seen of the titler, it'll be worth the update all by itself.

Anyone remember Cayman Graphics and their Vegas titler?
I just looked and the Power CG Live package is $795.00
The Hi-Def version is $995.00

Inscriber TitleMotion (for Premiere) will run you $250.00

Mike
p@mast3rs wrote on 9/2/2007, 4:30 PM
One thing I am curious about is how the multicam feature will be like. Is ti exactly the same way Vasst and Excalibur use or is it similar to Premiere in that it pops up a whole new window? Furthermore, how will both of those products respond to what is definitely a major feature to both products? Or is it a version that isnt as capable as US3 and Excalibur or lacks features?

The titler sounds interesting but after being forced to learn AE for my titles, I may prefer to stick with it since IMO AE is more capable and I dont have to leave the app for other things.

Maybe we will finally get high profile in AVC rendering and 5.1 aac audio...???? Tweakable settings would be excellent as well. Thats one area Adobe has improved greatly on with its Media Encoder. 8 days is too long to wait but what choice do we have? :)
Spot|DSE wrote on 9/2/2007, 5:13 PM
the multicam tool is nothing like Excalibur or Ultimate S. I have my own preferences, but for a new design incorporating multicam, it's very well done.
In some ways (IMO) it's not as good as the script-based tools and in other ways, it's better. Definitely different.
The multicam tools in Vegas 8 use the power of "Takes" that we've known about in Vegas for years. The sync tools are pretty nice, but you'll still likely be doing some manual sync. The sync tools aren't terribly different than those found in FCP, except of course, Vegas offers greater flexibility.
bruceo wrote on 9/2/2007, 5:31 PM
Does the smart render feature make network rendering now available for mpeg renders?
p@mast3rs wrote on 9/2/2007, 6:02 PM
Thanks Spot. I am assuming that this all doesnt take place in the preview window like the script based multicams do.

Im warming up to V8 more and more even though I can do pretty much everything in adone's suite. However, it might be pretty nice to use solely on my laptop with Onlocation and have those tools I need in one program. Guess we will see next week.
DJPadre wrote on 9/3/2007, 4:31 AM
p@ by the look of the preview it does seem like it is using the preview window itself, but coupled with the layout info shwoing here, i can only assume that we'll either have the choice by using numbers on our KB to select the active take (such as it behaves today), or by doing it ala Liquid style and click on each respective preview for the cam we choose for that particular shot..

I could be wrong, but thats what it looks like from the grab
bStro wrote on 9/3/2007, 9:32 AM
dreamlx: I was just wondering about the RAM requirements, too. The CPU requirements look the same as for Vegas 7, but the RAM requirement there was only 256MB or 512 for working with HDV.

My notebook has 1GB, but my desktop only has 512MB. Been putting off upgrading until I can just replace the motherboard and CPU.

Maybe the 1GB is only needed if you're running Vista and/or working with HD.

Rob
tomaras wrote on 9/3/2007, 10:48 AM
Indulge yourself and spend the $30 for another gig of old ram for your desktop!
MH_Stevens wrote on 9/3/2007, 11:39 AM
Remember specs tend to be absolute minimum. I would not run any graphics package (especially on Vista) with less than 2GB, and make it fast RAM too like 800 or at least 677. I'm looking at going with 4GB 800 RAM and using 64bit Vista to maximize its use. Memory is fairly cheap right so so get all you can. Also I'm going RAID 0 with two 7200 drives on my next build (which I am in the middle of now). Overkill is always best when the difference between 2BG and one drive and 4GB and RAID 0 is only about $600 top.
Seth wrote on 9/3/2007, 1:50 PM
Monitor? With a 32 bit floating point engine, I would rather CAPTURE via HDMI, a la Cineform NEO. At 32 bit floating point tweakability, Vegas would become the one stop Digital Cinema shop!
athomasl wrote on 9/13/2007, 12:50 PM
"No recompress rendering for Long GOP HDV"

Does this also mean no recompress for NTSC mpg?